Heat transfer, energy needed to heat house

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving heat losses through the walls of a warehouse and the addition of insulation to reduce heating bills. The given information includes the heat losses, outside and inside wall temperatures, and the thermal conductivity of the insulation. The main equation being used is Q=kA(ΔT/Δx) and the question at hand is to determine the total energy needed to heat the warehouse for a day without insulation, the thermal conductivity of the wall, and the thickness of insulation needed to reduce the heating bill by a factor of 2. The approach of using 0.02 kW/m2 multiplied by the area to calculate power is deemed correct, but the time needs to be factored in to calculate
Leaffy
Hi everyone!
First time here, but I'm having trouble with a problem. Here goes:

On a given day, heat losses through the 20cm-thick walls of a warehouse are 0.02 kW/m2 when the outside wall temperature is 5C and the inside wall temperature is 25C. The owner would like to reduce her heating bill by adding urethane insulation to the outside wall. k:urethane = 0.026 W/m.K

a. If the walls have an area of 200 m2, what is the total energy (in kJ and kWh) needed to heat the house that day (a day has 24 hours) without the insulation (ignore windows and doors)
b. What is the thermal conductivity of the wall?
c. Determine the thickness of the insulation needed to reduce the heating bill that day by a factor of 2.

So the equation I'm looking at is Q=kA(ΔT/Δx)
I think I can use 0.02 kW/m2 multiplied by area to get a Wattage for power, but I don't think it's right.

Once I have power, I can do the rest, but this has been driving me nuts all day.

Your help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!
Leaffy said:
So the equation I'm looking at is Q=kA(ΔT/Δx)
I think I can use 0.02 kW/m2 multiplied by area to get a Wattage for power, but I don't think it's right.
Actually that looks like the right approach to me.

Thank you, but what do I do about time? Or is that extraneous information?

Leaffy said:
I think I can use 0.02 kW/m2 multiplied by area to get a Wattage for power...
Yes, you'll get the power, but question (a) is asking for energy. So you need to know the time to get the energy from the power that you calculate.

Hi there! I can help you with this problem. Let's break it down step by step.

a. To calculate the total energy needed to heat the house that day, we need to first calculate the heat loss through the walls. We can use the equation you mentioned, Q=kA(ΔT/Δx), where Q is the heat loss, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the area, ΔT is the temperature difference, and Δx is the wall thickness.

So, for the given values, we have Q = (0.02 kW/m2)(200 m2)(25C-5C)/0.2m = 2000 W = 2 kW.

To convert this to kJ, we multiply by the time in seconds (24 hours = 86,400 seconds) and we get 2 kW x 86,400 s = 172,800 kJ.

To convert this to kWh, we divide by 3,600 seconds (1 hour) and we get 172,800 kJ / 3,600 s = 48 kWh.

Therefore, the total energy needed to heat the house that day without insulation is 172,800 kJ or 48 kWh.

b. To find the thermal conductivity of the wall, we rearrange the equation to solve for k: k = Q/(AΔT/Δx). Plugging in the given values, we get k = 2 kW / (200 m2)(25C-5C)/0.2m = 0.02 W/m.K. Therefore, the thermal conductivity of the wall is 0.02 W/m.K.

c. To reduce the heating bill by a factor of 2, we need to reduce the heat loss by half. Using the same equation, we can solve for the new thickness of insulation needed (Δx') to achieve this: Δx' = Δx(Q/kA)/2. Plugging in the values, we get Δx' = (0.2m)(2 kW)/(0.026 W/m.K)(200 m2)/2 = 15.4 cm. Therefore, the thickness of the insulation needed to reduce the heating bill by a factor of 2 is 15.4 cm.

I hope this helps and clears up any confusion you had. Good luck with your problem!

What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or substance to another. This can occur through three main methods: conduction, convection, and radiation.

How does heat transfer affect the energy needed to heat a house?

Heat transfer plays a crucial role in determining the amount of energy needed to heat a house. The rate of heat transfer depends on the insulation of the house, the outside temperature, and the heating system used.

What factors impact the energy needed to heat a house?

The size and layout of the house, the insulation, the location and climate, and the efficiency of the heating system are all factors that can impact the amount of energy needed to heat a house.

What is the most efficient heating system for a house?

The most efficient heating system for a house will vary depending on the location and climate, but some common options include geothermal heat pumps, solar heating systems, and high-efficiency furnaces.

How can I reduce the energy needed to heat my house?

There are several ways to reduce the energy needed to heat a house, such as improving insulation, sealing air leaks, using a programmable thermostat, and investing in energy-efficient heating systems.