How Do You Calculate the Total Charge from a Sine Wave Current?

In summary, the total charge carried by the current from t = 0 to t = 1/120 s is 0.008362 units of charge. To find this, the formula I ( t ) = 115 sin(120t) was rearranged to solve for Q = I(deltaT), and then integrated over the given range of time. The result was then multiplied by (1/120) to obtain the total charge.
Kawrae
An electric current is given by the expression I ( t ) = 115 sin(120t), where I is in amperes and t is in seconds. What is the total charge carried by the current from t = 0 to t = 1/120 s?

>> Since I = deltaQ/deltaT I rearranged and solved for Q = I(deltaT).

Then I took T=0 and plugged it into the I formula they gave. Then I plugged T=1/120 into that formula. And subtracted the two answers to get 0.008362. Then I tried taking this answer and multipling it by (1/120) to get Q. I don't think I did this right, but I don't really know how to go about finding the right answer :(

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kawrae said:
An electric current is given by the expression I ( t ) = 115 sin(120t), where I is in amperes and t is in seconds. What is the total charge carried by the current from t = 0 to t = 1/120 s?
I presume (120t) is in radians?

>> Since I = deltaQ/deltaT I rearranged and solved for Q = I(deltaT).
I presume you integrated?

Then I took T=0 and plugged it into the I formula they gave.
What formula? All you needed to do was integrate over given range.

? I'm confused on what I'm supposed to integrate -> the original I(t) that they gave me? Won't that just give me the current when they want the charge?

Since the current is the time derivative of charge ([itex]I = dQ/dt[/itex]), the charge is the integral (anti-derivative) of the current:
[tex]dQ/dt = 115 sin(120t)[/tex]
[tex]dQ = 115 sin(120t) dt[/tex]
Integrate!

1. What is electricity and how does it work?

Electricity is a form of energy that results from the movement of electrons. Electrons are negatively charged particles that are found in atoms. When these electrons are forced to move, they create an electrical current. This current can be harnessed and used to power various devices.

2. What is total charge and how is it measured?

Total charge is the sum of all the positive and negative charges in a system. It is measured in units of coulombs (C) using an instrument called an electric charge meter.

3. How does the total charge affect the behavior of objects?

The total charge of an object determines its electrical behavior. Objects with opposite charges (positive and negative) are attracted to each other, while objects with the same charge repel each other. The strength of this force depends on the amount of total charge present.

4. Can total charge be created or destroyed?

No, total charge cannot be created or destroyed. According to the law of conservation of charge, the total amount of charge in a closed system remains constant. This means that the total charge can only be transferred from one object to another, but it cannot be created or destroyed.

5. What are some real-life applications of total charge?

Total charge is used in many everyday devices, such as batteries, generators, and power plants, to provide electricity. It is also essential in electronics, such as computers and smartphones, for their circuits to function properly. In addition, total charge is important in medical devices, such as MRI machines and defibrillators, and in industrial processes, such as electroplating and welding.