First Interview Tips: Advice for Karen

• Thread starter karen03grae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interview
In summary, the conversation is about preparing for a first interview with an energy/tech company. The participants discuss various tips, such as smiling, making eye contact, and doing research on the company. They also mention the importance of enjoying the interview and showcasing leadership skills. One participant shares their experience with their first interview and the challenges they faced. They also discuss the possibility of pursuing co-op opportunities and taking classes to improve their skills.
karen03grae
Hi, I have my first interview this Friday with an energy/ tech company. I was wondering if any of you had any tips.

Thanks,
Karen

Physics news on Phys.org
Scooting this over from Mech Eng (in case anyone was wondering what kind of job this is for).

Karen

Right let's start off with the good news, the company likes you! You have made it to the shortlist; this means they think you can do the job.

If it’s a panel interview and many are these days don’t worry, they are not there to trip you up by firing questions in a random fashion at you; each will have their own question(s), but will take notes on the answers you make to the others.

Simple things
Smile, human beings like people who smile, we can’t help it.
Make eye contact with all the members of the panel
Treat all the members of the panel equally; don’t make assumptions about status, etc
Dress smart
Listen to the question, and answer the question asked, nothing ticks off an interviewer more then someone going off on a wild goose chase
Do research on the company/unit and drop-in these goodies in your answers, it shows you have done the research and know how to apply the knowledge
If you get asked a technical question and you don’t know the answer, it’s much better to say you don’t but then explain how you would go about getting the answer. We get worried by people who guess. But of course you can’t say this for every answer otherwise the interviewers will start to wonder if you know anything

Have a few questions ready, if in your research you found the company is about to start a new project ask about it in general terms using positive words.

And the most important part of the interview experience is to enjoy it. Remember they want to employ some one as much as you want to employed

Kieron

Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how it goes tommorrow.

If you have any leadership skills - mention that too. You should be outspoken, eloquent, yet accessable within the spacetime of the company. People hiring you are hiring a coworker, so they'll want to get along with you and connect on some unconscious level.

So I had my first interview ever. The interview had its good moments and "could be improved moments". The good parts came from the fact that I prepared answers to many behavioral questions. Some parts that I needed to work on was eye contact and brevity in my answers. But overall it was good for my first interview. Although, as soon as I walked in they told me that I had an extremely low chance of getting the job because I lacked tech. experience. LOL.

Well in a way they were helping you out by putting you in a rea life interviewing situation. As for technical experience, next time you go to a job fair try interviewing with the companies that receive less attention. From there you can get your feet up the ladder and beyond.

Yeah, I may opt for Co-op instead of interning. I am going to take some welding/ metal lathe classes this summer so I can be a bit more well-rounded in the design factor of M.E.

1. How should I prepare for my first interview with Karen?

To prepare for your first interview with Karen, make sure to research the company and the role you are interviewing for. Review your resume and be ready to discuss your relevant experience and skills. Practice answering common interview questions and prepare questions to ask Karen about the company and the role.

2. What should I wear to my first interview with Karen?

You should dress professionally for your first interview with Karen. This typically means wearing a suit or business attire. Make sure your clothes are clean and ironed and avoid wearing anything too flashy or distracting.

3. How can I make a good first impression on Karen during the interview?

To make a good first impression on Karen, be punctual and greet her with a smile and a firm handshake. Maintain good eye contact and speak confidently and clearly. Show your enthusiasm and interest in the company and the role.

4. What questions should I ask Karen during the interview?

You should ask Karen questions that show your interest in the company and the role. Some examples include asking about the company's culture, future goals, and any potential growth opportunities. It's also a good idea to ask about the next steps in the hiring process.

5. How should I follow up after my first interview with Karen?

After your first interview with Karen, it's important to send a thank-you email or note to express your gratitude for the opportunity to interview. You can also use this as an opportunity to reiterate your interest in the role and highlight any key points that were discussed during the interview.