Different Clock Rates Throughout Accelerating Spaceship

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativity and how it relates to the set-up of a rocket accelerating at 1g. It is explained that this set-up is a good approximation, but not exact, and that the potential difference, not the local gravitational attraction, is responsible for differences in clock speeds at different altitudes. The question is posed about whether the clock at the top of the accelerating frame ticks faster than one at the floor, and it is clarified that it depends on the perspective and setup of the spaceship. Finally, the concept of a "true" frame is discussed in relation to the rocket's frame.
1977ub said:
Here I refer only to the view from the "rest frame" - another inertial frame.

Just as the ladder shrinks, all kinds of other weird things happen - for me in the rest frame.

Ah I see, yea lots of weired things would happen for sure. However I cannot imagine all the invariants/equivalents and "see the fan" has wobble. I would think after accounting for all physical effects when transforming coordinates that the exact same geometry is calculated/found, and in turn the fan isn't wobbling, yet still perfectly balanced.

How I don't know, maybe via kinetic energy/mass the shorter blades still have the same mass as those perpendicular to motion. :uhh:

Physics news on Phys.org
nitsuj said:
Ah I see, yea lots of weired things would happen for sure. However I cannot imagine all the invariants/equivalents and "see the fan" has wobble. I would think after accounting for all physical effects when transforming coordinates that the exact same geometry is calculated/found, and in turn the fan isn't wobbling, yet still perfectly balanced.

How I don't know, maybe via kinetic energy/mass the shorter blades still have the same mass as those perpendicular to motion. :uhh:

One of the simplest implications of "c is the same for all observers" is that clocks which people on the train view as synchronized / simultaneous read different time as viewed in another frame. Imagine they have a ceiling fan with the blades lining up with the direction of motion "at a particular time". Just like in barn door example, those "same times" train-wise turn out to be different time rest-frame-wise. So the opposite ceiling fan blades will line up with the train's length dimension "At different times" rest-frame-wise and thus at any particular time rest-frame-wise the moving blades are generally not going to be opposite. This all derives from ladder/barn.

Imagine a sphere which regularly and continuously stretches to twice its size and back again. If moving high % of c seen in RF, then the leading and trailing edge are noticed no longer to be puffing out in synchrony. In fact, if speed is just right, leading/trailing ends are "out of phase" so that as trailing edge is receding toward the middle, front edge is puffing out and vice versa. The length in the direction of travel could be nearly constant over time.

I know this is an older topic by now but if I were to accelerate myself (no ship of any kind) to c and i were holding a timepiece would it no then just be constantly stopped until I slowed back down? Also, would it then want to "catch up" to my postion relative to the surrounding Universe?

Again, I know it's an old topic but seems to me Time is only relevant to our position near the Earth as our time has only ever been measured in relation to ourselves. Just looking for some clairvoyance i suppose.

Also, this Barn/Ladder theory (after some research) makes sense but again imposes that all things are affected by the spacetime continuum and we know that is not true any longer thanks to the Hadron Collider setup. Please correct me if I am wrong.

SteveDave said:
I know this is an older topic by now but if I were to accelerate myself (no ship of any kind) to c and i were holding a timepiece would it no then just be constantly stopped until I slowed back down? Also, would it then want to "catch up" to my postion relative to the surrounding Universe?

Again, I know it's an old topic but seems to me Time is only relevant to our position near the Earth as our time has only ever been measured in relation to ourselves. Just looking for some clairvoyance i suppose.

No, the timepiece you are holding will always go at a normal rate. This is because time slows for you, your body, thoughts, everything. So if time did stop for you then you would be stopped to so you will not notice.

<H2>What is the concept of different clock rates throughout an accelerating spaceship?</H2><p>The concept of different clock rates throughout an accelerating spaceship is based on the theory of relativity, which states that the passage of time is not absolute and can be affected by factors such as gravity and acceleration. This means that clocks in different parts of a spaceship that is accelerating at different rates will show different times.</p><H2>How does the theory of relativity explain the concept of different clock rates?</H2><p>The theory of relativity explains that time is relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that the rate at which time passes can be different for different observers depending on their relative motion and the strength of gravity in their respective frames of reference. In the case of an accelerating spaceship, this means that the clocks in different parts of the spaceship will show different times due to the differences in acceleration.</p><H2>What is the significance of different clock rates in an accelerating spaceship?</H2><p>The significance of different clock rates in an accelerating spaceship is that it demonstrates the effects of the theory of relativity on time. It also has practical applications in space travel, as it allows for precise calculations of time and navigation in space.</p><H2>How can the concept of different clock rates be observed in a spaceship?</H2><p>The concept of different clock rates can be observed in a spaceship by using highly accurate clocks and comparing the time shown in different parts of the spaceship. This can also be observed in experiments on Earth, such as the Hafele-Keating experiment, which demonstrated the effects of relativity on time by comparing the time shown on clocks in airplanes flying in opposite directions.</p><H2>What factors can affect the differences in clock rates in an accelerating spaceship?</H2><p>The differences in clock rates in an accelerating spaceship can be affected by factors such as the speed of the spaceship, the strength of gravity in different parts of the spaceship, and the duration of the acceleration. These factors can all influence the relative motion and frames of reference of the observers, resulting in different clock rates.</p>

What is the concept of different clock rates throughout an accelerating spaceship?

The concept of different clock rates throughout an accelerating spaceship is based on the theory of relativity, which states that the passage of time is not absolute and can be affected by factors such as gravity and acceleration. This means that clocks in different parts of a spaceship that is accelerating at different rates will show different times.

How does the theory of relativity explain the concept of different clock rates?

The theory of relativity explains that time is relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that the rate at which time passes can be different for different observers depending on their relative motion and the strength of gravity in their respective frames of reference. In the case of an accelerating spaceship, this means that the clocks in different parts of the spaceship will show different times due to the differences in acceleration.

What is the significance of different clock rates in an accelerating spaceship?

The significance of different clock rates in an accelerating spaceship is that it demonstrates the effects of the theory of relativity on time. It also has practical applications in space travel, as it allows for precise calculations of time and navigation in space.

How can the concept of different clock rates be observed in a spaceship?

The concept of different clock rates can be observed in a spaceship by using highly accurate clocks and comparing the time shown in different parts of the spaceship. This can also be observed in experiments on Earth, such as the Hafele-Keating experiment, which demonstrated the effects of relativity on time by comparing the time shown on clocks in airplanes flying in opposite directions.

What factors can affect the differences in clock rates in an accelerating spaceship?

The differences in clock rates in an accelerating spaceship can be affected by factors such as the speed of the spaceship, the strength of gravity in different parts of the spaceship, and the duration of the acceleration. These factors can all influence the relative motion and frames of reference of the observers, resulting in different clock rates.