Why do transition elements have different charges?

In summary, a deflagrating spoon is used for safely combusting/reacting materials that produce a lot of heat. The difference between copper (II) sulphide and copper (III) sulphide is in the number of electrons in the transition metal cation, with copper (II) having one more electron than copper (III). The term for the converse of sublimation is either condensation or freezing, and the opposite process is called deposition. However, some languages may use the term "resublimation" for this process.
lwymarie
1. What is the use of deflagrating spoon?
2. What is the difference between copper (II) sulphide and copper (III) sulphide? (I don't understand what the II, III or IV mean)
3. What is the term for the converse of sublimation?

thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
1. For safely combusting/reacting stuff that usually produces a lot of heat. So if you were to burn phosphorus or dunk sodium in water, you might want to use a DS. The long handle keeps you safely far from the nasty end.

2. Google or look up oxidation states. This is a big topic and can not be answered briefly.

3. Condensation or freezing - either can be used, even for going from gas to solid. Not sure if there's a more specific term.

Copper has ON ony +1 and +2...At least pick a correct example.Nitrogen is very interesting,from this perspective.

Daniel.

Technically, the opposite of sublimation, the process of going from a gas to a solid is decomposition.

Cesium said:
Technically, the opposite of sublimation, the process of going from a gas to a solid is decomposition.

While my English is limited I don;t think so. Decomposition is to separate or resolve into constituent parts or elements; disintegrate - it has nothing to do with the process opposite to sublimation.

In some languages process the OP asked for is called "resublimation" but it seems this term is not used in English.

Last edited by a moderator:
My apologies, it's Deposition

soo.. what is the difference between (II) and (III)?

One electron...?You're referring to ions,right...?Then,it's one electron.

Daniel.

P.S.Be more specific.

lwymarie said:
soo.. what is the difference between (II) and (III)?
In short, it stands for the charge of a transition metal cation.

Many transition elements can form different types of cations. This has to due with the d sublevel of electrons. For example, copper normally can form Cu+ and Cu+2. You mentioned the Copper (III) ion. The Cu+3 ion is extremely unstable (i think it only lasts for about 5 seconds in solution) and therefore Copper (III) compunds do not exist under normal conditions. Copper (I) and Copper (II) do exist though like...Copper (I) Sulfate and Copper (II) Sulfate:

Copper (I) Sulfate: Cu+ SO4-2 Therefore, Cu2SO4
Copper (II) Sulfate: Cu+2 SO4-2 Therefore, CuSO4

You also may encounter an older system of naming with the -ous suffix for the lesser ion and the -ic suffix for the greater one. So Cu2SO4 and CuSO4 are also known as Cuprous Sulfate and Cupric Sulfate, respectively.

1. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance made up of only one type of atom, whereas a compound is a substance made up of two or more different elements bonded together. Elements cannot be broken down into simpler substances, but compounds can be broken down by chemical reactions.

2. What is the difference between a mixture and a pure substance?

A mixture is a combination of two or more substances that are physically combined and can be separated by physical means, while a pure substance is a single type of substance that cannot be separated into other substances by physical means. Pure substances can be either elements or compounds.

3. What is the atomic structure of an atom?

An atom is made up of a small, dense nucleus containing protons and neutrons, surrounded by a cloud of electrons. Protons have a positive charge, neutrons have no charge, and electrons have a negative charge. The number of protons in an atom's nucleus determines its atomic number and the element it belongs to.

4. How do atoms form chemical bonds?

Atoms can form chemical bonds by sharing, gaining, or losing electrons to achieve a full outer electron shell. This can result in the formation of covalent bonds, where atoms share electrons, or ionic bonds, where atoms transfer electrons to achieve a stable configuration.

5. What is the difference between a physical change and a chemical change?

A physical change is a change in the physical properties of a substance, such as its shape or state, but the substance itself remains the same. A chemical change, on the other hand, is a change in the chemical composition of a substance, resulting in the formation of new substances with different properties.