Generating power using an electric motor

In summary: The atv alternator is a 12v 40 amp model. I am 100% sure there is a bigger one available, I just don't know where to find it.In summary, the Alternator that needs to be powered is a 12v 40 amp model that is fixed to the quad bike. A larger alternator could be used, but it would be more expensive and time consuming to find and replace. A 240v petrol generator set and a chunky transformer / rectifier may be the best solution.
Woody_1010
Hi,

I'm looking into a project that involves powering a motor that requires 60 Amp minimum input, but this is being powered from an atv/quad bike that only generated 40 amps from its existing alternator.

My question is.. Can I use a motor powered from the atv's electric supply to power an alternator/generator that produces a 12v power 60amp output?

If not, any suggestions for another way around this?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why not just upgrade the alternator on the quad bike? 40A is a very small alternator by most standards, these days.

Unfortunately it's not that simple! The alternator on the atv isn't interchangeable

But you, presumably have a power takeoff, or you would not be contemplating using your electric motor. ?

I was thinking of wiring the motor into the atv's electrics
The atv doesn't have a pto

I may have misunderstood you but if the limit to your available electrical power is 40A at 12V then there is no more available. The only solution could be if you were to use a large enough battery which the 40A alternator could top up. Then you would be able to use the 60A motor for about half the time that the engine was running. However, a quad bike power unit is not really designed to act as a generator and could give you other problems if you run it stationary, just to charge the battery.
But a steady-state solution just doesn't exist. It's a matter of income and expenditure - just like money.

Thanks, Thats what i was thinking! I just wanted to be sure that i wasnt missing a trick!

I'm not really sure what other options i have that will work well.
The 60amp motor that needs to be powered will be used for upto 10 hours a day, i was thinking of using a generator, but these are all 230-240v and i only need 12v. I know it can be done, but i am trying to keep the cost as low as possible.
I'm not an electrical expert either!

Thanks for your help!

I assume your quad bike comes for free in this equation. Otherwise, it sounds to be a really poor solution to your problem. Couldn't you just swap it for a (pretty well any) small car engine and fit a good sized 12V alternator?
Alternative, you could always go for a 240V petrol generator set (not hugely expensive) and a chunky transformer / rectifier.
Even more radical, is there any reason that the motor has to be 12V? There are many surplus single hp motors around for not much money.
I'm trying to think laterally for you!

sorry, my initial explanation wasnt brilliant!

The quadbike is being used as it needs to tow a trailer with a small fertilizer applicator on it.
The applicator requires 12v 60 amps, and the quadbike provides 12v 40 amps. These are both fixed items, where as the variable is the power source.

space isn't a big issue, as i am building the trailer myself. it can be made to carry a generator as well if necessary.

Right.
It looks as though the trailer needs to be self powered then. Time to scan eBay and places for a suitable system, I think. You may need an open mind so that you can make use of whatever happens to be available. Unfortunately, you can't change the Physics of Energy balance. :smile:

I thought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-VILLIERS-HOME-MADE-12V-GENERATOR-SET-/261193925589?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Generators_ET&hash=item3cd05f03d5might amuse you!
You are right about there not being much of its kind about!

What make and model of alternator is on your atv at the moment? Are you 100% sure that there is not a bigger one available? It would be such an attractive solution that it would be worth while doing some serious searching.

1. How does an electric motor generate power?

An electric motor uses the principles of electromagnetism to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the permanent magnets inside the motor, causing the motor to rotate and generate power.

2. What type of energy is used to power an electric motor?

Electric motors use electrical energy to power their operation. This electrical energy can come from a variety of sources, such as batteries, generators, or power plants.

3. What are the advantages of using an electric motor for power generation?

There are several advantages to using an electric motor for power generation. Firstly, electric motors are highly efficient, meaning they convert a high percentage of their input energy into usable mechanical energy. Additionally, electric motors are relatively quiet, environmentally friendly, and can be easily controlled and automated.

4. Can an electric motor be used to generate a large amount of power?

Yes, electric motors can be used to generate a large amount of power. The amount of power generated depends on the size and type of motor used. Industrial electric motors, for example, can generate thousands of horsepower and are commonly used in power plants and other large-scale applications.

5. How can the power generated by an electric motor be harnessed for practical use?

The power generated by an electric motor can be harnessed in a variety of ways depending on the intended application. In most cases, the mechanical energy produced by the motor is used to turn a shaft or drive a system of gears, which can then be used to power machinery or generate electricity. The electricity produced by the motor can also be stored in batteries for later use or fed into a power grid for immediate use.