NPN and PNP transistors and load

In summary, Kyle found that PNP and NPN transistors are not symmetric, and that if you wire them the same way in the circuit simulator they will not behave the same in reality.
Trespaser5
Hello,
I've been playing with transistors on a circuit simulator and found that it doesn't matter on an NPN transistor whether I put the load on the collector or emitter side, the load still has the same current flowing through it. The same is true for the PNP transistor, however when I physically wired a pnp inductive sensor up to a relay with the load on the collector side there was not enough current flowing through the relay to activate it, can anyone explain why ?
I have wired up PNP and NPN components in certain ways for years but don't really know why.
Kind regards
Kyle

Engineering news on Phys.org
NPN (and PNP) transistors are not symmetric in their layout. While it might be possible to operate them in the wrong direction in some cases, don't expect the same performance all the time.

If you have a large resistor in the emitter circuit then there will be a large voltage across it.
So, you need a larger voltage than this on the base. This is because the base voltage has to be about 0.7 volts more positive than the emitter.

An emitter follower has a voltage gain of less than one so it needs a very large input voltage compared to a common emitter circuit.

The circuit simulator may be giving you an unrealistic zero source-impedance power source, which can mask some circuit errors. You really need to provide more detail of the circuit - and in particular show how you're driving the base.

I've attached some examples of the circuits on the circuit simulator, when I wired the circuit in reality I used a inductive proximity so the base was obviously driven in a different way.
Thanks for your answers
Kyle

Attachments

• example pnp npn.jpg
    example pnp npn.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 632
Those circuits don't really convey anything - they're just using the transistor as a diode, and the only difference between the configurations is the order of the battery and the load - which is irrelevant. For this to make any sense, you'll have to provide details of the base driving.

Hi Sylvia,
That is my question really, I have set up these simple on the circuit simulator and observed that arrangement of the load and DC voltage source doesn't matter to the current in the circuit. However when I tried to replicate the PNP circuit shown using a bench power supply unit (the DC voltage source), and inductive proximity sensor(the PNP transistor) and a relay (the load), it would not work. Are you saying that if I just used a PNP transistor and wired them the same as the circuit simulator diagram I have attached they would behave in the same way ?

I would expect the relay coil to be energised in both cases, as soon as the power is applied.

Note, BTW, that you need a diode across the relay coil in real circuits, or you'll quite likely destroy the transistor when you try to turn the coil current off.

1. What is the difference between NPN and PNP transistors?

NPN and PNP transistors are two types of bipolar junction transistors (BJTs). The main difference between them is the direction of current flow. In an NPN transistor, the current flows from the collector to the emitter, while in a PNP transistor, the current flows from the emitter to the collector. This difference in current flow direction is due to the different arrangement of p-type and n-type semiconductor materials in the transistor structure.

2. What is the purpose of a load in a transistor circuit?

A load in a transistor circuit is used to control the output current or voltage from the transistor. It acts as a resistor or other electronic component that limits the flow of current through the circuit. The load is essential for the proper functioning of the transistor as it prevents the transistor from being damaged by excessive current or voltage.

3. How do NPN and PNP transistors work?

NPN and PNP transistors work by controlling the flow of electrons or holes (lack of electrons) through the transistor. In an NPN transistor, a small current is applied to the base, which allows a larger current to flow from the collector to the emitter. In a PNP transistor, a small current is applied to the base, which results in a larger current flowing from the emitter to the collector. This process is known as amplification and is the basis for the use of transistors in electronic circuits.

4. What is the difference between an NPN transistor and a PNP transistor in terms of biasing?

The main difference between NPN and PNP transistors in terms of biasing is the direction of the current flow for proper operation. In an NPN transistor, the base is positively biased, while in a PNP transistor, the base is negatively biased. This means that in an NPN transistor, the base-emitter junction is forward biased, while in a PNP transistor, the base-emitter junction is reverse biased.

5. How can I calculate the load resistance for a transistor circuit?

The load resistance for a transistor circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law (R=V/I), where R is the resistance, V is the voltage, and I is the current. The load resistance should be chosen based on the desired output current and voltage for the circuit. Additionally, the load resistance should be larger than the transistor's internal resistance to ensure proper operation and prevent damage to the transistor.