Identity: arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)

• Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the identity arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x) is true for positive values of x but not for negative values. The reason for the different ranges of cotangent and tangent is due to the periodic nature of these functions and the need for well-defined inverses. The usual convention is to restrict the range of tangent and cotangent to the largest interval containing 0 on which the function is one-to-one.
MathewsMD
I've been looking for this identity: arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)

After just visually inspecting this to be true, I have been unable to find any formal proofs for it.
Any references would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
I've been looking for this identity: arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)

After just visually inspecting this to be true, I have been unable to find any formal proofs for it.
Any references would be great!
The cotangent function is defined as the reciprocal of the tangent function.

The identity is true for positive values of ##x## but not for negative.

I would suggest starting from the definitions of those functions; [tex]y=\arctan x\iff \tan y=x \text{ and }y\in (-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex] and [tex]y=\text{arc}\cot x\iff \cot y=x \text{ and }y\in (0,\pi)[/tex] along with the trig identity suggested by Chestermiller.

gopher_p said:
The identity is true for positive values of ##x## but not for negative.

I would suggest starting from the definitions of those functions; [tex]y=\arctan x\iff \tan y=x \text{ and }y\in (-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex] and [tex]y=\text{arc}\cot x\iff \cot y=x \text{ and }y\in (0,\pi)[/tex] along with the trig identity suggested by Chestermiller.
Is there a reason cot and tan defined on different ranges?

Yes. Since tangent and arctangent are periodic functions, in order to talk about "well-defined" inverses (since [itex]tan(\pi/4)= tan(5\pi/4)= 1[/itex] should arctan(1) be [itex]\pi/4[/itex] or [itex]5\pi/4[/itex]?), we have to restrict the range of tangent and cotangent and so restrict the domain of arctangent and arccotangent. The usual convention is to restrict to the largest interval containing 0 on which the function is one-to-one. For the tangent that is [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. Since [itex]cot(x)= tan(\pi/2- x)[/itex], the corresponding domain for cotangent is 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex].

1. What is the identity "arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)" used for?

The identity "arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)" is used to represent the relationship between the inverse trigonometric functions arctan (arctangent) and arcot (arccotangent). It shows that the inverse of one function is equal to the inverse of the other function.

2. How is the identity "arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)" proven?

The identity "arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)" can be proven using the properties of inverse trigonometric functions and basic algebraic manipulations. The proof involves substituting the definitions of arctan and arcot and simplifying the resulting expressions to show that they are equal.

3. Can the identity "arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)" be used to solve equations?

Yes, the identity "arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)" can be used to solve equations involving inverse trigonometric functions. By using the identity, you can simplify the equation and find the value of x that satisfies the equation.

4. Are there any restrictions when using the identity "arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)"?

Yes, there are restrictions when using the identity "arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)". The value of x cannot be equal to 0, as it would result in undefined values for both sides of the equation. Additionally, x must be a real number for the identity to hold.

5. In what situations is the identity "arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)" commonly used?

The identity "arctan(1/x) = arcot(x) or arccot(1/x) = arctan(x)" is commonly used in calculus and trigonometry, particularly when dealing with inverse trigonometric functions. It can also be used in solving equations and simplifying expressions involving inverse trigonometric functions.