Finding inverse metric tensor when there are off-diagonal terms

In summary, the inverse of a metric tensor with off-diagonal elements can be found by decomposing the matrix into smaller sub-matrices and then inverting those sub-matrices. This method was used by Schutz in "A First Course in General Relativity" to simplify the problem of finding the inverse of a 4x4 matrix to that of a 2x2 matrix. There is a general theorem that allows for this simplification, known as the blockwise inversion theorem of matrices.
Nabigh R
How do you find the inverse of metric tensor when there are off-diagonals?
More specifivally, given the (Kerr) metric,
$$ d \tau^2 = g_{tt} dt^2 + 2g_{t \phi} dt d\phi +g_{rr} dr^2 + g_{\theta \theta} d \theta^2 + g_{\phi \phi} d \phi^2 + $$
we have the metric tensor;
$$ g_{\mu \nu} = \begin{pmatrix}
g_{tt} & 0 & 0 & g_{t \phi} \\
0 & g_{rr} & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & g_{\theta \theta} & 0 \\
g_{\phi t} & 0 & 0 & g_{\phi \phi} \\
\end{pmatrix} $$
In "A First Course in General Relativity", Schutz say that since the only off-diagonal element involves ##t## and ##\phi##, the contravariant components ##g^{rr}## and ##g^{\theta \theta}## are given by ##g^{rr} = \frac{1}{g_{rr}}## and ##g^{\theta \theta} = \frac{1}{g_{\theta \theta}}##. And then invert the matrix
\begin{pmatrix}
g_{tt} & g_{t \phi} \\
g_{\phi t} & g_{\phi \phi} \\
\end{pmatrix}
to find ##g^{tt}##, ##g^{\phi t}## and ## g^{\phi \phi} ##. I don't get why we can do that. Is it some kind on generalised version for the inverse of a diagonal matrix.
If ## A = \begin{pmatrix}
a_{11} & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & a_{22} & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & a_{33} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & a_{44} \\
\end{pmatrix} ##
then ## A^{-1} = \begin{pmatrix}
\frac{1}{a_{11}} & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & \frac{1}{a_{22}} & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \frac{1}{a_{33}} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & \frac{1}{a_{44}} \\
\end{pmatrix} ##

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Mentz :-D I know I can get ##g^{\mu \nu}## by inverting the matrix representation of ##g_{\mu \nu}##. But what I want to know is reasoning Schutz used to simplify the problem of finding the inverse of a ##4 \times 4## matrix to that of finding the inverse of a ##2 \times 2## matrix :-)
If there is a general theorem or something that allows it, then it sure can save me a lot of work.

It's perhaps easier to see by writing the coordinates in a different order:
$$ g_{\mu \nu} = \begin{pmatrix}
g_{tt} & g_{t \phi} & 0 & 0 \\
g_{\phi t} & g_{\phi \phi} & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & g_{\theta \theta} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & g_{rr} \\
\end{pmatrix} $$
and the observation that if you can decompose a matrix into smaller sub-matrices
$$ \textbf{A} = \left( \begin{array}{c|c}
\textbf{P} & \textbf{0} \\
\hline
\textbf{0} & \textbf{Q}
\end{array} \right) $$
then it inverts as
$$ \textbf{A}^{-1} = \left( \begin{array}{c|c}
\textbf{P}^{-1} & \textbf{0} \\
\hline
\textbf{0} & \textbf{Q}^{-1}
\end{array} \right) $$
(then finally put the coordinates back into the original order).

Likes etotheipi
Thanks a lot Greg. That's just what I was looking for. Just saw blockwise inversion theorem of matrices on Wikipedia. Since it didn't occur me to change the order of coordinates, I didn't make the connection. Thanks again :approve:

1. What is an inverse metric tensor?

An inverse metric tensor is a mathematical object that is used in the study of curved spaces and in the theory of relativity. It is the mathematical inverse of the metric tensor, which is a function that defines the distance between points in a space.

2. Why is it important to find the inverse metric tensor?

The inverse metric tensor is important because it allows us to perform calculations and make predictions about the geometry of a space. It also helps us understand the properties of the space, such as its curvature and the behavior of particles moving through it.

3. How is the inverse metric tensor related to the metric tensor?

The inverse metric tensor is the mathematical inverse of the metric tensor. This means that if we multiply the inverse metric tensor by the metric tensor, we get the identity matrix, which is a matrix with 1s on the diagonal and 0s everywhere else.

4. How do you find the inverse metric tensor when there are off-diagonal terms?

Finding the inverse metric tensor when there are off-diagonal terms can be a complex process. One method is to use the Gaussian elimination method, which involves performing a series of row operations on the matrix until it is in diagonal form. Another method is to use the Cayley-Hamilton theorem, which allows us to find the inverse of a matrix by using its characteristic polynomial.

5. What are some applications of the inverse metric tensor?

The inverse metric tensor has many applications in physics and mathematics. It is used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime and the behavior of particles in a gravitational field. It is also used in differential geometry to study the geometry of curved spaces. Additionally, it has applications in engineering, such as in the design of structures that can withstand stress and strain.