What is the physical meaning of the dyadic product \vec{a} \vec{b}?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, the dyadic product is a mathematical object used in classical physics. It can be dotted with a vector on either side to map that vector into a new vector. It can also be expressed as a linear summation of scalar coefficients times dyads. In the context of the stress tensor, it is used to map a unit normal vector into the stress vector acting on a surface. This simplifies calculations in certain applications.
member 428835
hey pf!

can someone please explain physically what the dyadic product represents: [itex]\vec{a} \vec{b}[/itex]
i know its a matrix (tensor), but that's all i know physically.
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe there's a physical explanation for this. It's a very handy mathematical object with uses in classical physics mostly.

joshmccraney said:
hey pf!

can someone please explain physically what the dyadic product represents: [itex]\vec{a} \vec{b}[/itex]
i know its a matrix (tensor), but that's all i know physically.
thanks!
A dyad fulfills its primary function in life only when it is dotted (i.e., contracted) with another vector (or tensor). It can be dotted with another vector on its right side by dotting the right-hand member of the dyad with the subject vector, and it can be dotted with another vector on its left side by dotting the left-hand member of the dyad with the subject vector.

Thus, for right-hand dotting,

[itex]\vec{d}=\vec{a}\vec{b}\centerdot \vec{c}=\vec{a}(\vec{b}\centerdot \vec{c})[/itex]

or, for left-hand dotting,

[itex]\vec{d}=\vec{c}\centerdot \vec{a}\vec{b}=(\vec{c}\centerdot \vec{a})\vec{b}[/itex]

According to the first equation, the vector [itex]\vec{d}[/itex] is produced by dotting the dyad [itex]\vec{a}\vec{b}[/itex] on its right side by the vector [itex]\vec{c}[/itex] to yield the vector [itex]\vec{d}[/itex]. Thus, by dotting the dyad [itex]\vec{a}\vec{b}[/itex] on its right side with the vector [itex]\vec{c}[/itex], we have accomplished the task of mapping the vector [itex]\vec{c}[/itex] into the new vector [itex]\vec{a}(\vec{b}\centerdot \vec{c})[/itex], which points in the same direction as the vector [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] and has a magnitude equal to [itex](\vec{b}\centerdot \vec{c})[/itex] times the magnitude of [itex]\vec{a}[/itex]. Similarly, according to the second equation, the vector [itex]\vec{d}[/itex] is produced by dotting the dyad [itex]\vec{a}\vec{b}[/itex] on its left side by the vector [itex]\vec{c}[/itex] to yield the vector [itex]\vec{d}[/itex]. Thus, by dotting the dyad [itex]\vec{a}\vec{b}[/itex] on its left side with the vector [itex]\vec{c}[/itex], we have accomplished the task of mapping the vector [itex]\vec{c}[/itex] into the new vector [itex](\vec{c}\centerdot \vec{a})\vec{b}[/itex], which points in the same direction as the vector [itex]\vec{b}[/itex] and has a magnitude equal to [itex](\vec{a}\centerdot \vec{c})[/itex] times the magnitude of [itex]\vec{b}[/itex].

When we express a vector (i.e., a first order tensor) [itex]\vec{V}[/itex] in component form, we write:

[tex]\vec{V}=V_x\vec{i}_x+V_y\vec{i}_y+V_z\vec{i}_z[/tex]

That is, a linear summation of scalar coefficients times unit vectors taken one at a time.

Any second order tensor can be expressed in component form as the linear sumation of scalar coefficients times dyads (unit vectors taken two at a time). Such a linear sum is referred to as a Dyadic. In the case of the (3D) stress tensor, for example, one can write:

[tex]\vec{σ}=σ_{xx}\vec{i}_x\vec{i}_x+σ_{xy}\vec{i}_x\vec{i}_y+σ_{xz}\vec{i}_x\vec{i}_z+σ_{yx}\vec{i}_y\vec{i}_x+σ_{yy}\vec{i}_y\vec{i}_y+
σ_{yz}\vec{i}_y\vec{i}_z+σ_{zx}\vec{i}_z\vec{i}_x+σ_{zy}\vec{i}_x\vec{i}_z+σ_{zz}\vec{i}_z\vec{i}_z[/tex]

The scalar coefficients in the dyadic sum in Eqn. 8 are the components of the stress tensor. When the stress tensor is dotted with a unit normal vector to a surface ([itex]\vec{n}=n_x\vec{i}_x+n_y\vec{i}_y+n_z\vec{i}_z[/itex]), it maps the unit normal vector [itex]\vec{n}[/itex] into the stress vector (traction) [itex]\vec{S}[/itex] acting on the surface:

[tex]\vec{S}=\vec{σ}\centerdot \vec{n}[/tex]

This is called the Cauchy stress relationship. It is one important application in which use of dyadic notation simplifies things.

Chet

Likes 1 person
thanks!

1. What is the dyadic product of two vectors?

The dyadic product of two vectors, represented as \vec{a} \vec{b}, is a mathematical operation that results in a tensor. This tensor is a mathematical object that represents the relationship between two vectors, rather than a single vector like the dot or cross products.

2. What is the physical significance of the dyadic product?

The dyadic product has physical significance in that it allows us to mathematically describe the relationship between two vectors in a multidimensional space. This can be useful in fields such as fluid mechanics, elasticity, and electromagnetism, where the relationship between two vectors is important in understanding the behavior of a system.

3. How is the dyadic product different from the dot and cross products?

The dot product of two vectors results in a scalar value, while the cross product results in a vector. The dyadic product, on the other hand, results in a tensor. Additionally, the dot product and cross product are commutative, meaning their order does not matter, while the dyadic product is not commutative.

4. What is the mathematical representation of the dyadic product?

The dyadic product is represented as \vec{a} \vec{b}, where \vec{a} and \vec{b} are two vectors. It can also be written as a matrix, with the elements representing the products of each component of \vec{a} with each component of \vec{b}.

5. How is the dyadic product used in physics?

The dyadic product is used in physics to describe the relationship between two vectors in a multidimensional space. It can be used to calculate the stress and strain tensors in elasticity, the electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism, and the velocity gradient tensor in fluid mechanics, among other applications.