Electric Circuit Problem Help: Understanding Emf, Current, and Terminal Voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between current, voltage, and resistance in a circuit. The participants agree that adding resistance in parallel results in a decrease in equivalent resistance and an increase in current. The voltage across the added resistance also increases. However, they are unsure why the terminal voltage, which is the voltage across the battery, decreases as the current increases. It is explained that this is due to the internal resistance of the battery.
krypt0nite
Diagram
The answer is A and i don't really understand why that is so. I am thinking that since Emf - Ir= Vterminal. The current must go up but i am not sure exactly why is that happening. I've read through my handbook but can't seem to find anything on this type of problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
see when the resistance is added in parallel to the 4{}| the the equvalent resistance goes down due to which the current increases and voltage across the 5{} is given by
I*R,THEREFORE THE VOLTAGE ACROSS IT ALSO INCREASES.

I agree that. BUt why terminal voltage decreases?

terminal voltage is the voltage across the battery when it is connected in a circuit,as the current increases the terminal voltage which is equal to=E-IR decreases,here the R stands for internal resistance of the battery

Thanks for your help

What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a closed loop through which an electric current can flow. It is made up of a power source, such as a battery, wires to carry the current, and various devices or components, such as resistors, capacitors, and switches.

What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL)?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, also known as KVL, states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero. This law is useful in analyzing complex circuits and determining the voltage drops across different components.

How do I calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. So, to calculate the total resistance, you simply add up all the resistances in the circuit. This is known as the series circuit formula: Rtotal = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop and the same current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches and the total current is divided among them. Additionally, the total resistance in a series circuit is the sum of individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, it is less than the smallest individual resistance.

How do I calculate power in an electric circuit?

The power in an electric circuit is equal to the product of voltage and current. So, the formula for power is P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes. Additionally, you can also use Ohm's Law (P = I2R or P = V2/R) to calculate power in a circuit.