Conduction and displacement current density

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the ratio of conduction current density to displacement current density for an electric field in copper at a frequency of 1 kHz. The displacement current density is calculated using the formula J_d = \epsilon_{Cu} \frac {dE} {dt} = - \epsilon_0 E_0 \sin(\omega t)\omega, while the conduction current density can be found using Ohm's law: J = \sigma E = \frac{1}{\rho} E = \frac{1}{\rho} E_0 \cos(\omega t). The speaker is unsure if their calculations are correct and also has questions about the presence of a magnetic field.
tiagobt
Could anyone help me solve the following problem?

Calculate the ratio of the conduction current density to the displacement current density of the electric field [itex]E = E_0 \cos(\omega t)[/itex] in copper, to a frequence of [itex]f = 1 kHz[/itex]. (Given: [itex]\epsilon_{Cu} = \epsilon_0[/itex], [itex]\rho_{Cu} = 2 \times 10^{-8} \Omega m[/itex]).​

First, I calculated the displacement current density:

[tex]J_d = \epsilon_{Cu} \frac {dE} {dt} = - \epsilon_0 E_0 \sin(\omega t)\omega[/tex]

I'm not sure if it's correct. Besides, I don't know how to find the conduction current density. I thought about using:

[tex]\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B} = \mu_0 (\vec{J} + \epsilon_0 \vec{J_d})[/tex]

But is there a magnetic field? I'm confused...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A frequency of 1 kHz is pretty small for this situation. So, for the conduction current density, I think you can just use Ohm's law: ##J = \sigma E = \frac{1}{\rho} E = \frac{1}{\rho} E_0 \cos(\omega t) ##. In this case, the conduction current and the electric field oscillate in phase.

1. What is the difference between conduction and displacement current density?

Conduction current density refers to the flow of electric charge through a material, such as in a wire carrying an electric current. Displacement current density, on the other hand, refers to the changing electric field that can occur in a region of space, even in the absence of a conductive material. It is a crucial component in the equations of electromagnetism and is responsible for the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

2. How are conduction and displacement current density related?

Conduction current density and displacement current density are both components of the total current density in a region of space. They are related through Maxwell's equations, which describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. Specifically, the displacement current density is equal to the rate of change of the electric field with respect to time, while the conduction current density is equal to the electric field divided by the conductivity of the material.

3. What is the importance of displacement current density in electromagnetism?

Displacement current density plays a crucial role in the propagation of electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, microwaves, and light. Without displacement current density, electromagnetic waves would not be able to travel through space, and many technologies, such as wireless communication and medical imaging, would not be possible.

4. How is displacement current density measured?

Displacement current density is typically measured indirectly by measuring the electric and magnetic fields in a region of space and using Maxwell's equations to calculate the displacement current density. It can also be measured directly using specialized instruments, such as a displacement current probe, which measures the changing electric field in a circuit.

5. Can displacement current density exist without conduction current density?

Yes, displacement current density can exist without conduction current density. This is because displacement current density is caused by the changing electric field in a region of space, while conduction current density is caused by the flow of electric charge through a material. In a vacuum, where there are no conductive materials, displacement current density is the only type of current present.