Liquid nitrogen temperature superconductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of liquid nitrogen temperature superconductors due to the lower cost of liquid nitrogen compared to liquid helium. It also mentions the development of new technologies to store liquid helium, leading to a decrease in its cost. The question posed is how this could affect the direction of the field. An analogy is used to highlight the impact of reduced cost on consumer behavior.
gapgirl1010
Hi, I have started Plysics 20 by correspondence and I can't find the answer to this question:

The reason that liquid nitrogen temperature superconductors are important is that liquid nitrogen costs less than liquid helium. New technologies to store liquid helium have been developed in the last year. This has brought the cost of liquid helium down. how might this affect the direction of the field?

PLease help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know that I agree with what I see as the implications of the question - the economics of liquid helium is not even close to the whole story - but think about it for a minute. The claim is that the search for liquid nitrogen superconductors has been driven by the high cost of liquid helium. Suppose now that the cost of liquid helium drops - what happens then?

Put it in different terms - I own one Prada bag, largely because I can't justify the expense of more. I own quite a few from other, less expensive designers. What do you suppose I'd do if the cost of Prada dropped suddenly while the quality remained the same?

Hello!

Liquid nitrogen temperature superconductors are an important development in the field of superconductivity because they can operate at higher temperatures than traditional superconductors, which require liquid helium to maintain their superconducting state. The reason liquid nitrogen is significant is that it is cheaper and more readily available than liquid helium, making it a more practical option for widespread use in various industries.

The recent developments in technology to store liquid helium have brought down its cost, making it more accessible for use in superconductors. This could potentially impact the direction of the field in a few ways. First, it could lead to a shift towards using liquid helium temperature superconductors instead of liquid nitrogen temperature ones, as the cost difference between the two may become less significant. This could also spur further research and development in the use of liquid helium for superconductors, potentially leading to even higher temperature superconductors in the future.

Alternatively, the lower cost of liquid helium could also open up new opportunities for research and experimentation with liquid nitrogen temperature superconductors. With a more affordable and accessible option for superconductors, scientists may be able to explore new applications and technologies that were previously not feasible due to the cost of liquid helium.

Overall, the lower cost of liquid helium could have a significant impact on the direction of the field of superconductivity. It could lead to changes in the materials and methods used for superconductors, and spur new advancements and discoveries in the field. I hope this helps answer your question. Best of luck with your studies in Physics 20!

What is a liquid nitrogen temperature superconductor?

A liquid nitrogen temperature superconductor is a material that has the ability to conduct electricity with zero resistance at temperatures above the boiling point of liquid nitrogen (-196°C). This is much higher than the temperatures at which traditional superconductors operate.

How does a liquid nitrogen temperature superconductor work?

A liquid nitrogen temperature superconductor works by allowing electrons to move through the material without colliding with any atoms or other particles, thereby achieving zero resistance. This is possible due to the unique properties of the material, which allow for the formation of Cooper pairs, a phenomenon responsible for superconductivity.

What are the benefits of liquid nitrogen temperature superconductors?

The main benefit of liquid nitrogen temperature superconductors is their ability to operate at higher temperatures, making them more practical and cost-effective for real-world applications. They also have the potential to greatly improve the efficiency and performance of electronic devices.

What are some potential applications of liquid nitrogen temperature superconductors?

Some potential applications of liquid nitrogen temperature superconductors include power transmission, magnetic levitation trains, medical imaging equipment, and high-speed computing. They also have potential uses in energy storage and in creating more powerful and efficient electric motors.

What are the challenges of using liquid nitrogen temperature superconductors?

One of the main challenges of using liquid nitrogen temperature superconductors is their high cost, as they often require complex manufacturing processes and materials. Another challenge is their fragility, as the superconducting properties can be easily disrupted by external factors such as heat or strong magnetic fields.