Calculating Lengths & Proving Identities: A Math Challenge

In summary, the purpose of calculating lengths and proving identities in math is to accurately determine measurements and establish relationships between expressions. The length of a line segment can be calculated using the distance formula, and common identities used in math include the Pythagorean theorem, law of sines and cosines, and quadratic formula. Proving identities is important for verifying the validity of statements and equations, as well as for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. Some strategies for proving identities include simplifying equations, using algebraic manipulations, and utilizing strong knowledge of basic algebra and trigonometric identities.
JasonJo
1. calculate the length of the following paths:
f(t) = (7, t, t^2) over 1<t<3

the way i was taught in class to calculate the length of a curve is to integrate the magnitude of the velocity, but i can't seem to naturally integrate the magnitude of (0, 1, 2t)

similarly for:
f(t) = (cos(3t), sin(3t), 2t^(3/2)) 0<t<4

2. prove the bac-cab formula
aX(bXc) = b(a*c) - c(a*b)
where * is the dot product

what does b(a*c) mean?! how do i evaluate that?

i wrote aX(bXc) in terms of the component form, etc.

3. prove the length curve and curvature formulas.

5. prove aX(bXc) = (aXb)Xc + bX(aXc)

PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
JasonJo said:
1. calculate the length of the following paths:
f(t) = (7, t, t^2) over 1<t<3
the way i was taught in class to calculate the length of a curve is to integrate the magnitude of the velocity, but i can't seem to naturally integrate the magnitude of (0, 1, 2t)
No reason why you can't! Personally, I dislike "physics" names for mathematical concepts: you integrate the magnitude of the tangent vector!
Yes, the tangent vector to f(t)= (7, t, t2) is j+ 2tk and its magnitude is [tex]\sqrt{1+ 4t^2}[/tex]. The arclength you seek is
[tex]\int_1^3\sqrt{1+ 4t^2}dt[/tex]. When I see that I immediately think "trig substitution". sin2u+ cos2u= 1 so, dividing by cos2 u, tan2u+ 1= sec2. Let 2t= tan u so that 2dt= sec2u du or dt= (1/2)sec2udu and [tex]\sqrt{1+ 4t^2}= \sqrt{1+ tan^2 u}= sec u[/tex]. The integral becomes [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int sec^3 u du= \frac{1}{2}\frac{du}{cos^3 u}[/itex] (the limits of integration are u= arctan 2 and u= arctan 6. Multiply numerator and denominator by cos u to get [tex]\int \frac{cos u du}{cos^4 u}= \int \frac{cos u du}{(1- sin^2u)^2}[/tex]. Make the change of variable x= sin u so that dx= cos u du and the integral becomes [tex]\int \frac{dx}{(1-x^2)^2}[/tex] which can be done by "partial fractions".
similarly for:
f(t) = (cos(3t), sin(3t), 2t^(3/2)) 0<t<4
The tangent vector is -3sin(3t)i+ 3cos(3t)j+ 3t1/2k. The magnitude of that vector is [tex]\sqrt{9sin^2(3t)+ 9cos^2(3t)+ 9t}[/tex] which looks to me like [tex]3\sqrt{1+ t}[/tex]. The arclength is [tex]3\int_0^4\sqrt{1+ t}dt[/tex]. Don't you think "u= 1+t" would take care of that?
2. prove the bac-cab formula
aX(bXc) = b(a*c) - c(a*b)
where * is the dot product
what does b(a*c) mean?! how do i evaluate that?
You just said * is the dot product so (a*c) is a number (scalar). b(a*c) is just that number times the vector b.
If [tex]a= a_1i+ a_2j+ a_3k[/tex], [tex]b= b_1i+ b_2j+ b_3k[/tex], and [tex] c= c_1i+ c_2j+ c_3k[/tex], then [tex]a*c= a_1c_1+ a_2c_2+ a_3c_3[/tex] and [tex]b(a*c)= (a_1c_1+ a_2c_2+ a_3c_3)b_1i+ (a_1c_1+ a_2c_2+ a_3c_3)b_2j+ (a_1c_1+ a_2c_2+ a_3c_3)b_3k[/tex]
[tex]a*b= a_1b_1+ a_2b_2+ a_3b_3[/tex] so [tex]c(a*b)= (a_1b_1+ a_2b_2+ a_3b_3)c_1i+ (a_1b_1+ a_2b_2+ a_3b_3)c_2j+ (a_1b_1+ a_2b_2+ a_3b_3)c_3k[/tex]
[tex]b(a*c)- c(a*b)= {(a_1c_1+ a_2c_2+ a_3c_3)b_1- (a*b= a_1b_1+ a_2b_2+ a_3b_3)c_1}i+ {(a_1c_1+ a_2c_2+ a_3c_3)b_2-(a_1b_1+ a_2b_2+ a_3b_3)c_2}j+ { (a_1c_1+ a_2c_2+ a_3c_3)b_3-(a_1b_1+ a_2b_2+ a_3b_3)c_3}k[/tex]
Multiply that out and see if it is the same as you got for aX(bXC)
i wrote aX(bXc) in terms of the component form, etc.
3. prove the length curve and curvature formulas.
How you would do that depends on what theorems you have to work with.
5. prove aX(bXc) = (aXb)Xc + bX(aXc)
PLEASE HELP!
Write out the components!

Last edited by a moderator:
much thanks, possibly the most helpful homework post ever.

thanks!

wait wait, one question:

prove the length of the path is equal to : int over a to b of sqrt(1+f'(x)) dx

using the fact that the integral of the magnitude of the velocity over the interval a to b is also equal to the length of the path

JasonJo said:
wait wait, one question:
prove the length of the path is equal to : int over a to b of sqrt(1+f'(x)) dx
using the fact that the integral of the magnitude of the velocity over the interval a to b is also equal to the length of the path

hint: position(x)=<x,f(x)> and velocity(x)=[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]position(x).

You could also use two points (xn+1,yn+1) and (xn,yn) and use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the distance between them. Now sum those distances and let them get very small (in other words, write it as an integral). The last thing to do is use the Mean-Value Theorem to replace your [itex]{y_n}^{2}[/itex] with [itex]\left(f'(x)\Delta x\right)^2[/itex].

1. What is the purpose of calculating lengths and proving identities in math?

The purpose of calculating lengths and proving identities in math is to accurately determine the measurements of different geometric shapes and to establish relationships between different mathematical expressions.

2. How do you calculate the length of a line segment?

The length of a line segment can be calculated using the distance formula, which is √[(x2 - x1)² + (y2 - y1)²]. This formula uses the coordinates of the two endpoints of the line segment to calculate the distance between them.

3. What are some common identities used in math?

Some common identities used in math include the Pythagorean theorem, the law of sines and cosines, and the quadratic formula. These identities help solve mathematical problems and prove geometric relationships.

4. Why is it important to prove identities in math?

Proving identities in math is important because it helps verify the validity of mathematical statements and equations. It also allows for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and can be used to solve more complex problems.

5. What are some strategies for proving identities?

Some strategies for proving identities include simplifying both sides of the equation, using algebraic manipulations, and substituting different values for variables. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of basic algebra and trigonometric identities.