Multivariable Calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the rate of exchange that consumers face when spending their budget on goods x and y. The equation dy/dx = -Px/Py is used to calculate this rate, where Px represents the price of good x and Py represents the price of good y. The budget constraint is also mentioned, with the requirement that dm = 0, where m is the total income. The conversation then considers the scenario of a consumer being a price taker in the x market but not in the y market, and the effects on the rate of exchange. The solution involves totally differentiating the budget constraint and rearranging the equation to arrive at the equation dy = (-Px/Py)dx.
mrroboto

Homework Statement

Since consumers cannot be outside the set of affordable bundles, we get the rate of exchange that consumers face provided the spend all of their budget

dy/dx = -Px/Py (where Px is the price of good x, PY is the price of good y)

by totally differentiating the budget constraint and requiring that dm = 0, where m is total income. Suppose now that the consumer is a price taker in the x market but not a price taker in the y market. What is the rate of exchange that the market offers the consumer?

Homework Equations

dy/dx = -Px/Py
m = Px(X) + Py(Y), where X and Y represent total number of goods X and Y, respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to totally differentiate the budget constraint. In other words, I take the derivative of the equation m = Px(X) + Py(Y). Then I have to figure out how altering the quantity of Y with affect Py, the price of Y.

By rearranging the equation m = Px(X) + Py(Y), I get Y = (-Px/Py)(X) + m/Py, and since dm= 0, we arrive at the equation dy = (-Px/Py)dx.

I don't know what to do from here. Can someone please help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind. i got it.

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. It extends the concepts of single-variable calculus to functions with multiple independent variables, and involves studying rates of change, optimization, and integration in multiple dimensions.

2. Why is multivariable calculus important?

Multivariable calculus is important because it provides a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing complex systems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It also forms the basis for many advanced mathematics courses.

3. What are some applications of multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus has many practical applications, including in vector calculus, optimization problems, statistical analysis, and machine learning. It is used in a wide range of industries, from aerospace engineering to finance and data analysis.

4. What are the key concepts in multivariable calculus?

Some key concepts in multivariable calculus include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and the gradient, divergence, and curl operators. These concepts are used to analyze functions with multiple variables and to solve optimization problems in multiple dimensions.

5. Is multivariable calculus difficult?

Multivariable calculus can be challenging for some people, as it involves abstract concepts and requires strong mathematical skills. However, with dedication and practice, it can be mastered. It is important to have a solid understanding of single-variable calculus before tackling multivariable calculus.