What is the Symmetric Matrix Associated with a Quadratic Form in R3?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the symmetric matrix A associated with a given quadratic form in the standard basis of R3. The speaker considers using the vectors e1, e2, and e3 as a basis and is unsure of how to determine the entries in the matrix A. They mention that their book does not provide enough explanation and ask for recommendations for a better resource.
Locoism

Homework Statement

Consider the quadratic form
q(v) = x12 + 5x22 + 11x32 + 4x1x2 + 6x1x3 + 14x23

Relative to the standard basis of R3 find the symmetric matrix A associated with q.

The Attempt at a Solution

In the standard basis, I'll use
e1 = [1,0,0]
e2 = [0,1,0]
e3 = [0,0,1]

if it were in R2, I would say [aij] = q(ei,ej) but how do I do this in R3? and I only have 3 variables, so I have to only use one vector, but which entry in the matrix does each one represent?
How do I determine which vectors to use for with entries.

*edit* I'll just specify, if I wanted to find [a11] I could just use q(e1), but what about [a21] for example?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
my book does not explain anything... Can anyone recommend a good one?

1. What is a matrix of a quadratic form?

A matrix of a quadratic form is a square matrix that represents a quadratic form, which is a mathematical expression that contains only quadratic terms. It is used to perform calculations and transformations on quadratic forms, and can be written in both symmetric and non-symmetric forms.

2. How is a matrix of a quadratic form calculated?

A matrix of a quadratic form is calculated by taking the coefficients of the quadratic terms in the expression and arranging them in a square matrix. The diagonal elements of the matrix represent the coefficients of the squared terms, while the off-diagonal elements represent the coefficients of the mixed terms.

3. What is the relationship between a quadratic form and its matrix?

The matrix of a quadratic form represents the quadratic form itself in a more structured and organized manner. It allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the quadratic form, as well as the ability to solve for its critical points and perform transformations such as rotations and translations.

4. How is a matrix of a quadratic form used in real-world applications?

The matrix of a quadratic form has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used in optimization problems, such as finding the minimum or maximum value of a function, and in statistics for analyzing data and performing regression analysis.

5. Can a matrix of a quadratic form be diagonalized?

Yes, a matrix of a quadratic form can be diagonalized using techniques such as eigenvalue decomposition. This means that it can be transformed into a diagonal matrix with the same eigenvalues, which simplifies calculations and reveals important information about the quadratic form, such as its principal axes and maximum or minimum values.