Try Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce - Hot Stuff!

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, turbo and his wife spent the day canning and pickling various types of peppers, including habaneros, jalapenos, lipstick chilis, and a variety of red peppers. They also made a flavorful pepper relish using peppers from their neighbor and Astronuc. Their neighbor is also a pepper enthusiast and turbo's wife brought some extra jars to the store owner, who loved it and may want to start selling it. They also made jalapeno poppers, which were a hit with everyone except for the hot-averse members of the family. They also started a batch of tomato and pepper salsa to be canned the next day.
Evo said:
Evo Child introduced me to a hot sauce imported from Mexico, Cholula. Not hot enough for manly men like turbo & Astronuc, but it's a bit hotter than Frank's Original (which just won best tasting mild hot sauce, it *is* my favorite).

Cholula has a distinctly different flavor, it is made from arbol and piquin peppers. It also has a cool wooden cap.

http://www.cholula.com/

I like this stuff too...the first time I had it was at IHOP with some southwestern steak omlette thing. Then I saw it in the stores.

Physics news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:
My friend gave me some hot sauce that made me think I might die. I stuck one tine of a fork into it and put it on my tongue and I was miserable for about 10 minutes. I felt nauseous afterward.
That sounds like one of my habaneros fresh from the plant. The heat sneak up on one as the capsaicin hydrolyzes from the saliva. The burn is great, and after one swallows them, it feels like someone kicked one in the abdomen.

Great stuff! :biggrin:

I like Dave's Insanity and Special Reserves. I was first introduced to Dave's After Death Hot Sauce about 14 years ago, and I've been a collector ever since.

Mad Dog hot sauces are great too!

I've also got a small vile of Satan's Blood. I had to sign a waiver to buy it. It's has a warning to keep away from children and animals, and not to get allow contact with eyes. :biggrin:

leroyjenkens said:
My friend gave me some hot sauce that made me think I might die. I stuck one tine of a fork into it and put it on my tongue and I was miserable for about 10 minutes. I felt nauseous afterward.
Sounds like one of my weaponized habanero relishes, made from only red ripe chilies. When people would see me putting it on a burger or a hot dog, sometimes they would suggest that they try it out on theirs. Rather than waste good grilled food, I'd give them a toothpick, have them stick it in the juice only (no fishing out a piece of pepper) and put that drop of juice on their tongue. Only my organic gardener neighbor was willing to put some on his food after a taste, and even he hasn't taken any for a long time. He's a vegetarian, so he grills soy dogs and soy sausages for himself, and needs SOMETHING to dress up the taste. Now he sticks pretty much to my tomato-based hot salsas. Chili relishes are a bit too much even for him.

Nearly everything in the top half of the list is an extractive, to be used as a food additive. I like heat in my food, but I demand that it taste good, too, thus the chili relishes made from habanero, cayenne, jalapeno, Hungarian yellows and mixes of those, along with some red Russian garlic. I made a jalapeno/garlic relish last year that my wife loves on hot dogs, etc. She leaves the habanero relish to me, although if I'm eating hot dogs and she can't resist the smell, she'll ask for ONE bite.

My wife went to return bottles and cans at the redemption center, which just happens to be operated by a couple of guys who own the nursery/greenhouse. It's fairly late in the season for planting chilies, so the vegetable plants are heavily discounted, so she bought me some "insurance" in the form of 12 nice bushy habanero plants with lots of blossoms. Carribean Red habaneros are considerably hotter than the standard orange habaneros, so if I can get a decent crop, I'll be making hot relishes.

Last edited:
Here's another place - http://www.2hotlicks.com/

One the site posted by Evo, I've got a bottle of Z. It's pretty hot.

I didn't think Da Bomb was that hot.

I had one of Blair's, but I don't remember which one. I think it was Megadeath.

There's some really good hot sauce from Trinidad...there was this place I used to go to to buy roti and curried stuff. They made their own hot sauce and it was killer!

[PLAIN]http://hotsauceandsalsa.com/images/melsb.jpg
Here's one of the sauces I bought from a West Indian supermarket once. It uses scotch bonnet peppers, but they put other stuff in there so it's not burning hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a link to Firegirl. They sell some extractives, but they have a huge range of sauces made from all types of peppers. When I was touring a print shop that used paper from my paper machine, firegirl was a fairly new company, and the printer was making 4-color offset posters on our glossy paper for the company. I wanted to take one home, but the tour guide wasn't in the giving mood. The poster showed dozens and dozens of different hot sauces that you could get from that company.

http://firegirl.com/

HeLiXe said:
Here's one of the sauces I bought from a West Indian supermarket once. It uses scotch bonnet peppers, but they put other stuff in there so it's not burning hot.
Yep! Melinda's extends their sauces with carrots, topical fruits, juices, etc.

My brother suggested that I puree habaneros with mangos and limes to make a sauce (not a relish) that still had the nice pepper flavor, but milder and sweeter, with an acid kick from the limes. I've never had enough habaneros to try that out, though.

OOOH! I just noticed that Cholula sauce is Scot's pick!

Cholula Hot Sauce
"Cholula Hot Sauce has been made for three generations by the same family in Jalisco, Mexico, Cholula's special blend of red peppers, piquin peppers and spices have a unique flavor and aroma unlike anything you've ever experienced before. It's a seasoning, an ingredient, a condiment and a sauce. Its unique taste makes it the perfect complement to a wide range of foods."

Although it has a relatively mild heat, I love this stuff! Terrific flavor with just the right hints of hotness, smokiness and tanginess.
It really is unique. Evo Child won't use anything else.

turbo-1 said:
I've never had enough habaneros to try that out, though.

Just make a tiny bit and eat the rest of the mango :tongue:eek:r make some mango salsa Pureed mangos make great dipping sauce for coconut shrimp and spicy conch fritters. I make good fritters and I like them spicy:biggrin:

I'm pretty stingy with my ripe habaneros, and after 2 bad (cool, rainy) seasons in a row, I'm glad I made all the chili relishes that I did when the crops were good. I'm running really low on the best relishes, and desperately need a good crop this summer so I can get stocked up again.

habanerorelish.jpg

My garlic crop is thriving, and we have planted lots of dill so that we should have nice dill florets (the chopped yellow-green stuff on the cutting board) when it's time to make relishes.

Last edited:
Evo said:
OOOH! I just noticed that Cholula sauce is Scot's pick!

It really is unique. Evo Child won't use anything else.
Cholula is quite common at restaurants in California. I see it quite often. I like the taste, but it's a bit too mild, such that I have to supplement it.

Melinda's Scotch Bonnet is good too. I had a bottle, but I used up pretty quickly. It's also relatively mild.

I have to check my habs.

Update: Just watered the peppers. They were a bit dry. It's 102 F in the shade here.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
My garlic crop is thriving, and we have planted lots of dill so that we should have nice dill florets (the chopped yellow-green stuff on the cutting board) when it's time to make relishes.

LOVE the knife! I use dill with garlic when I make salmon sometimes. Your peppers are beautiful! My grandad and grandma used to have a garden in the backyard when I was little. I used to grow a lot of plants and was completely devastated by an aphid infestation. I could not get rid of them no matter what I tried. It really broke my heart</3

Astronuc said:
Melinda's Scotch Bonnet is good too. I had a bottle, but I used up pretty quickly. It's also relatively mild.

Yeah my mom bought it by accident once and I was the only one using it because everyone wanted something hotter lolol I was a real wimp with the hot stuff all my life...maybe now that I am getting a little older I can tolerate hot things better because it reminds me I'm alive:biggrin:

HeLiXe said:
LOVE the knife! I use dill with garlic when I make salmon sometimes.
Thanks. The knife is a 6" Sabatier chef's knife from Thiers-Issard. I bought the stainless version instead of carbon-steel because I often cut acidic stuff. If you can find dill florets (or grow them) you'll be way ahead with your dishes. Dill florets have a richer, fuller flavor than the dill weed or seeds and are perfect for hot sauces, salsas, and pickles. The florets are the tiny flowers at the end of the radial stalks of the flowering head. Just bunch those stalks together in your hand, cut off the florets, and mince them.

Last edited:
Thx for the clarification on the difference...I use dill weed AND I use dried dill weed I buy from the store. I have been thinking about growing some herbs but I know I do not have the time for them these days. I think herbs require a lot of care. I had a mint plant that dried up in one day! I was so shocked. I bought it, the soil felt damp enough, I put it outside in the required light and the next morning it was completely dry. I still tried to water it and take care of it but it never recovered. *sigh* I have too many tragic stories with plants.

Unwrapped had a great 2 hours of hot sauces. They showed most of astro's favorite sauces being made.

Tomorrow I will be making my jalapeno potato salad. It's my savory (not sweet) potato salad with 4-5 finely minced jalapenos in it. So good.

Evo said:
Unwrapped had a great 2 hours of hot sauces. They showed most of astro's favorite sauces being made.
What is Unwrapped?

My kids were watching some program that had a piece about a hot-sauce convention - or the hot sauce/hot pepper convention.

Astronuc said:
What is Unwrapped?

My kids were watching some program that had a piece about a hot-sauce convention - or the hot sauce/hot pepper convention.
It's on Food Network. Sounds like that might have been part of it. It's still on.

Oooh, it's still going!

I made a batch of chili-garlic relish this afternoon and am canning it right now. I'm going to write "sweet heat" on the lids when the cool. There are all kinds of mild peppers in with the hot ones, and about of a third of the total volume of the relish is Russian garlic and yellow onions. Other flavors include a nice bunch of dill weed, a lot of sweet bush basil, and lots of scallions. A very rich complex flavor with some sneaky heat.

I have never bothered to make my own ketchup, but I may have to give that a go. I love Melinda's Jalapeno Ketchup. Thick, rich and spicy. I have a bottle of the brand's Chipotle Ketchup in the pantry and can't wait to try that, too.

turbo-1 said:
I made a batch of chili-garlic relish this afternoon and am canning it right now. I'm going to write "sweet heat" on the lids when the cool.

What size of jars are you using. I assume pints?

I have never bothered to make my own ketchup, but I may have to give that a go.

Ever made tomato juice? It's great for red beers; cheap beer that is.

btw, I want some of that stuff.

dlgoff said:
What size of jars are you using. I assume pints?
Pints and half-pints. PM me with a shipping/mailing address and I'll see if I can get a jar out to you. I should probably do the same for Astro, too. I have to impose on my wife to do the shipping - Post Offices and other public places don't work well for me.

My wife has been using the chili/garlic sauce in EVERYTHING it seems. Shipping jars to friends is likely going to hit the spousal veto. She's hooked on the stuff. Uses so far include: Neat on hot dogs/sandwiches
Use in spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce for the heat, garlic flavor and herbs
Mix with Cain's mayo for a nice tartar sauce for haddock sandwiches
And last night, she mixed a bunch into a large batch of home-made macaroni and cheese.

The stuff won't last the winter, I fear, much less into the next gardening season. It looks like the size of my pepper-patches will have to expand next season.

I must start campaigning Astro to get him to relocate to Maine and buy a nice hunk of arable land. We could get into the garlic/chili/herb business. I wouldn't mind doing the gardening and processing as long as I had a partner to handle the schmoozing/marketing side to sell the products.

Probably would need a greenhouse to get the chili plants started, though herbs and garlic are drop-dead easy here.

You can put me on your mailing list once the business get going.

And tell your wife, "You don't know how lucky you are." :tongue:

She is lucky you know. :wink:

dlgoff said:
You can put me on your mailing list once the business get going.

And tell your wife, "You don't know how lucky you are." :tongue:

She is lucky you know. :wink:
I think she knows. A few year ago, I let a batch of tomato/jalapeno salsa get away from me a bit and scorched it just slightly so that the sugars darkened. I canned it anyway, though she scolded me that I should have kept a closer eye on the salsa. A few days later I tried some of that dark salsa on a cheeseburger and offered her a bite. She said "Don't give any of that away!" It was/is really good. Kind of a "special reserve" salsa. The last jar of that special batch is now in the 'fridge. I don't know if I can replicate the accident, but I might be able to approximate the richness by putting the chilies on my smoker before processing them. Too many options to try...

turbo-1 said:
I must start campaigning Astro to get him to relocate to Maine and buy a nice hunk of arable land. We could get into the garlic/chili/herb business. I wouldn't mind doing the gardening and processing as long as I had a partner to handle the schmoozing/marketing side to sell the products.

Probably would need a greenhouse to get the chili plants started, though herbs and garlic are drop-dead easy here.
I'M AVAILABLE! I'm also a professional salesperson (although it was technical sales) but I also taught marketing and how start a business to people planning to start a business or expand an existing one.

And I garden and cook.

You seriously need to think about taking a few of those relishes and sell them through that couple that own the deli. Thing is you'd really have to step up production in your garden to meet the demand. :approve:

Astro will be the front man to show we have a real hippy involved. :biggrin: We'll have to trademark your avatar since it will be on every jar.

The market is right during the growing hot sauce craze. We'll get in with some of these internet sites that offer to seek out new hot sauce products for their clients, instant client base.

A bonus is that I can't eat hot sauce, so you won't have to worry about me eating the profits.

MIH will be our west coast spokesmodel. She will sell our sauces and relishes through the Nom Nom truck.

Last edited:
Aaggghhh! I have created a monster!

My wife is using this season's pepper/garlic sauce in everything! Salads, soups, sandwiches, casseroles, baked potatoes (along with feta cheese - her favorite) ... nothing is safe. I thought that a couple gallons give or take was sufficient. Nope! I may have to till more of my property to grow more peppers.

I have a lot of jalapenos that I want to save. I was thinking of freezing them, but they're going to turn to mush, aren't they?

Evo said:
I have a lot of jalapenos that I want to save. I was thinking of freezing them, but they're going to turn to mush, aren't they?
Yes, they are. Run them through a food processor with garlic and your choice of herbs, then simmer the mix in a mildly acidic, mildly sweet liquid. I prefer brown sugar or molasses in water with cider vinegar. Taste-test, and when you've got the right blend of flavors, jar it and refrigerate it. No need to do sealing/canning if you are going to refrigerate it.

I have to do sealing/canning with sterile jars and lids because I make so much of the stuff that I can't refrigerate it.