Getting wrong answer on physics problem

• Thread starter srhly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, a bead is released from a height of 25.1m from the bottom of a loop-the-loop with a radius of 9m. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 and the mass of the bead is 3g. To find the normal force at point A at the top of the loop, the conversation discusses using energy considerations to determine the speed of the bead and then using circular motion and gravity to calculate the normal force needed to keep the bead on its circular path. The question also suggests looking at a forum post for further ideas.
srhly
A bead slides without friction around a loop-the-loop. The bead is released from height of 25.1m from the bottom of the loop-the-loop which has a radius of 9m. THe acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. There is a point A at the very top of the loop. I need to know the normal force(Fn) at that point if the mass is 3 g. I converted the 3 g to kg and then tried to solve. I set Fn-mg=0 so Fn=mg. So I took 0.003 and multiplied by 9.8m/s^2 but got the answer wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
srhly said:
I set Fn-mg=0 ...
Why?

F = mg gives you the force that gravity exerts on the bead. Why would you think that would be equal to the force that the loop exerts on the bead after the bead has accelerated down the track and halfway around the loop?

Use energy considerations to figure out the speed of the bead when it reaches point A.

Then use circular motion (radial acceleration) and gravity to determine the normal force necessary to keep the bead moving along its circular path.

Look at Logistics' question for more ideas:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=69254

Last edited:

It is possible that you made a mistake in your calculation or conversion of units. It is important to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct units throughout your calculation. Additionally, it may be helpful to draw a free body diagram to visually understand the forces acting on the bead at point A. This can also help identify any errors in your calculation. If you are still having trouble, it may be beneficial to consult with a classmate or your instructor for clarification and guidance. Remember, practice and persistence are key in solving physics problems. Keep trying and don't get discouraged!

1. Why am I getting the wrong answer on my physics problem?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to a calculation error, incorrect units, or a misunderstanding of the problem. It is important to check your work and make sure you are using the correct equations and units.

2. How can I avoid getting the wrong answer on my physics problem?

To avoid getting the wrong answer, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem. Make sure you are using the correct equations and units, and double check your calculations. It can also be helpful to solve the problem using different methods to verify your answer.

3. What should I do if I consistently get the wrong answer on my physics problems?

If you consistently get the wrong answer on physics problems, it may be helpful to seek additional resources or guidance. Consider talking to your teacher or a tutor for extra help and practice. It is also important to practice regularly and review the fundamentals of physics concepts.

4. Can getting the wrong answer on a physics problem affect my overall understanding of the subject?

Yes, consistently getting the wrong answer on physics problems can affect your understanding of the subject. It is important to identify and address any misconceptions or errors in your understanding to ensure a strong foundation in physics.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Improving problem-solving skills in physics takes practice and patience. It can be helpful to break down problems into smaller, more manageable parts and to use visual aids or diagrams to better understand the problem. It is also important to regularly review and practice using equations and units to improve your problem-solving abilities.