Looking for the ultimate calculator (affordable)

• Calculators
  • Thread starter ManDay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the conversation is about the search for a new graphing calculator that is universal, functional, and of good quality. The conversation suggests the TI-83 or 84 for students, the TI-89 for physics students, and the Voyager for more advanced functions. The HP-50g is also recommended as a good choice. The conversation also discusses the differences in memory and display size between the TI and HP calculators. The conversation ends with the decision to purchase the HP50g, which is deemed the best choice that will not be outgrown.
ManDay
Hello,

I need a new graphing calculator, as universal as possible. So its not only an ellaborate graphing calculator but offers as many functions as possible and is of quality at the same time.

Go ahead, suggest some. I'll look at all of them.

PS: To give you a better idea of what I'm looking for I better tell you that I'm a scholar and thus looking for an appropriate calculator.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
TI calculators are pretty much standard use. If you go with the other ones, you can run into trouble as many books show how to use the TI graphing calculators with specific problems. Though if you if don't mind taking the extra time to figure out how to use the calculator HP & Casio are decent. As for 'affordable," well you can find the older discontinued TI 81,82,85, & 86 calculators on ebay & amazon fairly cheap.

To be honest I don't have a clue what the prices actually are. I've taken a look at the TI-webpage just some minutes before I opened this thread, but just from looking at the facts and number I feel incapable of choosing one. Surely each of them has its dis- and advantages but I was hoping that you could name one of which you think that ot would fit a student.

Last edited:
Most students use the TI-83 or 84 now days. The 84 is just a bit more advanced, faster, more memory, and a few more functions. If you're a physics student, most of them us the TI-89 because it can do just about everything. The Voyager does a bit more, but also at a cost... usually TI-89 is what most use.

When you're ready, newegg.com

Thank you kuahji, Thank you rocophysics. I will get the 98 one. But have you heard of the NSpire TI? What is it? It ships with 20M of memory instead of about 2 from the 89 and has got a larger display.

PS: Does a graphing calculator feature all major scientific functions a scientific calculator is capable of, or will I most likely need both?! I decieded to take another look at the HP product range and I like it.

Ti-89
Ti-NSpire
HP-50g

?

Edit: Looks like newegg doesn't ship to outside the US, unfortunally. Can you tell me an as-good and as-cheap reseller for Germany?

Last edited:
Just a lil update: I purchased the new HP50g. Thanks for your support.

ManDay said:
Just a lil update: I purchased the new HP50g. Thanks for your support.

Good choice. That's the best of the bunch and you won't outgrow it once you graduate. RPN really is a pleasure to use, once you get used to it.

1. What makes a calculator the "ultimate" calculator?

The ultimate calculator is one that meets all of the necessary requirements and functions for a variety of tasks, such as basic arithmetic operations, algebraic equations, scientific calculations, and graphing. It should also have a user-friendly interface and be able to store and recall previous calculations.

2. Are there any affordable options for an ultimate calculator?

Yes, there are many affordable options for an ultimate calculator. With advancements in technology, there are now many budget-friendly calculators that offer a wide range of functions and features.

3. Can I find an ultimate calculator that is suitable for both students and professionals?

Yes, there are many calculators available that cater to both students and professionals. These calculators often have features such as equation solvers, graphing capabilities, and statistical functions that are useful for a variety of users.

4. What are some key features to look for in an ultimate calculator?

Some key features to look for in an ultimate calculator include a large and clear display, a wide range of functions and operations, a durable and compact design, and the ability to customize settings and functions according to individual needs.

5. Are there any online resources or reviews available to help find the ultimate calculator?

Yes, there are many online resources and reviews available to help in the search for the ultimate calculator. Websites such as Amazon and Best Buy offer customer reviews and ratings, while educational websites and blogs often provide in-depth reviews and comparisons of different calculators.