Need help How to make Hydrogen peroxide ''H2O2'' ?

In summary, hydrogen peroxide is difficult to make and dangerous to work with. It is not just for making a neon light.
aiisshsaak
Need help! How to make Hydrogen peroxide ''H2O2'' ?

i want to make a neon light with H2O2 but the problem is i can't find it anywhere even in my school and i was thinking how its H2O2 < ---- > H2O + O2 and that mean i can mix it but i don't know how.
can anybody show me how to do it step by step.
and if you have an other idea, you can just say it
thanks advance :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Hydrogen peroxide is difficult to make from water and oxygen by someone of your skill level.
Neon light won't work with H2O2 so you are probably wasting your time anyway. Is someone playing a prank on you?

you said "Hydrogen peroxide is difficult to make from water and oxygen by someone of your skill level"
so i believe you know how, i can take that to a friend and I'm sure he knows about it

and it's not just for the neon light
i want it to make H2O2 as fuel and some stuff
and thanks for ur replay

aiisshsaak said:
you said "Hydrogen peroxide is difficult to make from water and oxygen by someone of your skill level"
so i believe you know how, i can take that to a friend and I'm sure he knows about it

and it's not just for the neon light
i want it to make H2O2 as fuel and some stuff
and thanks for ur replay
As a propellant, there won't really be a safe way to get high enough concentrations. It would be possible to distill it from a dilute solution, but due to it's instability, you would need to do so at high pressure. I would rather doubt you would have the resources to carry out such a distillation and attempting it at normal pressures runs a rather large risk of it exploding on you.

Short answer: neither you, nor your friend, can make Hydrogen Peroxide.

More complete explanation: Look - you can buy 3%, cheap (I bought a liter yesterday at Safeway for $1.79, to oxidize some copper). And you mentioned "fuel and some stuff". So I assume you mean you want concentrated H2O2, and probably a decent amount.

1) It's HIGHLY regulated, certainly in the US and the EU, and probably most other non-3rd-world countries. I'm guessing that making, or possessing, 70% H2O2 and above, is almost certainly a serious felony in the US.

2) Making concentrated H2O2 is INSANELY difficult, requiring SERIOUS chemical knowledge and sophisticated equipment. No - you're NOT "just mixing together" water and oxygen - it *should* be that simple, but it ain't.

3) The stuff itself is WACKY dangerous. Trust me - I own an energy company. I make synthetic gasoline in a steel-box lab filled with explosive gases and liquids at high pressure and temperature, in steel tubes rated for nuclear plants. And I work IN THAT BOX, 3 feet from those tubes.

And I wouldn't even TRY to distill, or make, fuel-grade H2O2. Why not? Because it would explode and kill me. Not 'might' - would.

If you want propellants, like for rockets -- Google for "Tripoli Rocketry", look at some of the options for solid-phase propellants. Liquid phase scares hell out of even the pros. And - dude - learn before you burn. ;-)

Likes 1 person

1. What is the chemical formula for Hydrogen peroxide?

The chemical formula for Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2, which means that each molecule of Hydrogen peroxide is composed of two atoms of hydrogen and two atoms of oxygen.

2. How is Hydrogen peroxide produced?

Hydrogen peroxide is produced through a chemical reaction between water and oxygen. This reaction can occur naturally through the exposure of water to sunlight, or it can be produced industrially through a process called the anthraquinone process.

3. What are the uses of Hydrogen peroxide?

Hydrogen peroxide has a variety of uses, including as a disinfectant, bleaching agent, and oxidizer. It is also used in the production of paper, textiles, and food products. Additionally, it can be used as a propellant in rocketry and as a source of oxygen in emergency breathing systems.

4. What are the safety precautions when handling Hydrogen peroxide?

Hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer and can be dangerous if handled improperly. It can cause skin and eye irritation, as well as burns if it comes into contact with the skin in high concentrations. It is important to wear protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, when handling Hydrogen peroxide, and to always follow proper handling and storage procedures.

5. Can I make Hydrogen peroxide at home?

It is not recommended to make Hydrogen peroxide at home as the process can be dangerous and requires specialized equipment. Additionally, the resulting product may not be of high purity and can be hazardous to handle. It is best to purchase Hydrogen peroxide from a reputable source for any household or industrial use.