Ask for Books recommend to new G.R. learner

In summary, if you're really bad at mastering electromagnetics, I don't think you're going to be able to even begin to learn about GR.
henry407
I really want to learn about G.R. but I don't know how to study. So I hope someone would recommend books to me for the study basic G.R.
(Do I need to master electromagnetic/static/dynamic, because I am really bad at it)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're really bad at mastering electromagnetics, I don't think you're going to be able to even begin to learn about GR. Why don't you look at some online articles, either on this forum or in wikipedia concerning GR, just to get an idea of what you're up against? Have you learned Special Relativity to the point you can say you have mastered it and you're really good at it?

You should probably give some background info on what you know so that we can recommend the right book for you.

I had read Griffiths#Introduction To Electrodynamics(3rd Ed.), vector calculus(springer), fundamental of physics(except optics), first 2 chapter of classical mechanics.

To repeat:
ghwellsjr said:
Have you learned Special Relativity to the point you can say you have mastered it and you're really good at it?

From another thread:
George Jones said:
Have you studied Lagrangian mechanics? If not, you should study an introduction to this.

You probably should read the short, excellent book A Traveler's Guide to Spacetime: An Introduction to the Special Relativity by Thomas A. Moore. After this, start reading Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Relativity by James B. Hartle,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805386629/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Also, read right now the following paper by Hartle, a professional relativist, on his perspective on how general relativity should be taught:

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0506/0506075v2.pdf.

Even though I am interested in some of the more mathematical aspects of general relativity, I strongly agree with Hartle that tensors and differential geometry can wait until after substantial familiarity with general relativity has been built up (section V in the paper). I think this is particularly true for folks learning general relativity by self-study.

I'd go to the library and browse Hartle's book Gravity. You could probably still pick up a lot from it even if your E&M and classical mechanics knowledge is lacking.

Mastering Griffiths is of fundamental importance. A good into book for GR is the one by Foster & Nightingale. There are good reviews at Amazon.

thanks for all of you~(my teacher suggest me not to touch G.R., he said because it's mathematical skills in G.R is too complicated, include differential geometry which I haven't learn it before. So, I think I finished those mathematical skills first, before I learn G.R.)

1. What is "Ask for Books" and how does it relate to learning on Goodreads?

"Ask for Books" is a feature on Goodreads that allows users to request book recommendations from other members. This can be helpful for new learners who are looking for specific types of books to read.

2. How can I use "Ask for Books" to find books that match my interests?

To use "Ask for Books," simply go to the Goodreads site and click on the "Ask for Books" tab. From there, you can type in keywords or genres that interest you and request recommendations from other users. You can also specify any other preferences, such as format or length, to further tailor your recommendations.

3. Can I request recommendations from specific users on Goodreads through "Ask for Books"?

Yes, you can select specific users to request recommendations from through "Ask for Books." You can either browse through Goodreads friends or search for specific users by name. This can be helpful if you know someone who has similar reading tastes to yours and you trust their recommendations.

4. Is there a limit to the number of book recommendations I can request through "Ask for Books"?

There is no specific limit to the number of recommendations you can request through "Ask for Books," but it is recommended to be considerate of other users' time and not overload them with requests. It may be more effective to request recommendations for a smaller number of books at a time.

5. What should I do if I receive book recommendations that I am not interested in through "Ask for Books"?

If you receive book recommendations that do not interest you, you can politely decline them or simply not add them to your to-read shelf. You can also provide feedback to the user who recommended the book, letting them know that it did not align with your interests. This can help them better tailor their recommendations for you in the future.