Solving Polynomial Equations with Exponents of 40

• Thread starter heartyface
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, the conversation is about a polynomial problem involving finding the value of a complex expression. Different methods were suggested, such as using symmetry and factoring, but the solution was ultimately found by using the roots of unity and their properties. The original polynomial is x^4-x^3+x^2-x+1 and the value of x^40-x^30+x^20-x^10+x^0 was found to be 1.
heartyface
Polynomials help~~

Heh, so I posted this thread in the wrong category so I'm reposting it! =)
Hello. So here was this problem I came across:

If x^4-x^3+x^2-x^1+x^0=0, what is the numerical value of x^40-x^30+x^20-x^10+x^0?
I did try doing many stuffs (symmetry) & factoring, but I think none of these steps helped.
Enlighten the youngster, gracias.

Physics news on Phys.org

If 2X=0, what is 20X?

@adaptation -_- very funny, if it was a simple problem like that I wouldn't have posted it.
Btw, the answer's 1.
Hmm... but How...?

I found no shortcut in doing this :uhh: ,
maybe then the only way to do this is find the roots and put them in the second equation :grumpy: ,
Yea lengthy it is

Attachments

• ca2 copy.png
    ca2 copy.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 479

There could be a work around , using roots of unity , you need to think about it .
( sum of roots of unity and their properties )

our original polynomial is p(x) = x4-x3+x2-x+1.

note that p(-1) = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 5, so -1 is not a root of p(x).

now consider q(x) = (x+1)p(x) = x5 + 1.

Mod note: rest of solution removed

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you solve a polynomial equation with exponents of 40?

To solve a polynomial equation with exponents of 40, you can use the fundamental theorem of algebra, which states that every polynomial equation has as many solutions as its highest exponent. In this case, the equation will have 40 solutions.

2. What is the degree of a polynomial equation with exponents of 40?

The degree of a polynomial equation with exponents of 40 is 40, as this is the highest exponent in the equation. The degree of a polynomial equation is important in determining the number of solutions and the complexity of the equation.

3. Can you solve a polynomial equation with exponents of 40 without using the fundamental theorem of algebra?

No, the fundamental theorem of algebra is a fundamental concept in solving polynomial equations with exponents of 40. It is necessary in determining the number of solutions and finding the solutions of the equation.

4. Are there any special techniques for solving polynomial equations with exponents of 40?

Yes, there are various techniques that can be used to solve polynomial equations with exponents of 40, such as factoring, using the quadratic formula, or using synthetic division. The choice of technique may depend on the specific equation and its complexity.

5. Are there any real-life applications of solving polynomial equations with exponents of 40?

Yes, polynomial equations with exponents of 40 can be used to model various real-life situations, such as population growth, financial investments, and physical processes. Solving these equations can help in predicting future outcomes and making informed decisions.