Huge solar flare heading for earth

Earth or only certain areas. The Space Weather Prediction Center has stated that the storm will not make a direct hit on Earth, but will have a glancing impact on Thursday. The largest solar flare of the year is expected to create a spectacular sky show. However, the storm may cause disruptions to satellite systems, including GPS, and could potentially affect travel plans. The SOHO spacecraft has captured images of the charged particles from the flare, providing a fascinating sight. In summary, the geomagnetic storm caused by the solar flare is not expected to hit Earth directly, but may have some impact and could create a beautiful sky show.
StevieTNZ
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10790597

Will it be hitting all around the Earth, or only in particular areas? If anyone knows...

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Last edited:
I hope it's done by Friday! I have a flight on Saturday!

Greg Bernhardt said:
I hope it's done by Friday! I have a flight on Saturday!

lol we can't have a screwed up GPS system sending your flight to Antarctica instead of its planned destination huh that just wouldn't be fair ! ;)

I was playing a video from the SOHO www site earlier today, it was a sight to see the blast of charged particles hitting the sensors on the SOHO spacecraft

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/c3/512/

Dave

I can confirm that a massive solar flare is heading towards Earth. Solar flares are powerful bursts of radiation that are released from the sun's surface and can cause disruptions in our planet's magnetic field. This particular flare is expected to be quite large and could potentially impact certain areas of the Earth more than others.

It is important to note that while solar flares can cause disruptions in technology and communication systems, they do not pose a direct threat to human health. However, precautions should still be taken to protect sensitive equipment and infrastructure.

Scientists and space agencies around the world are closely monitoring this solar flare and its potential impact on Earth. We have advanced warning systems in place to track the trajectory of the flare and predict its effects. It is also important for individuals to stay informed and follow any safety instructions provided by authorities.

While solar flares can be unpredictable, we have the technology and knowledge to mitigate their effects. As always, it is crucial to stay informed and prepared for any potential disruptions.

1. What is a solar flare?

A solar flare is a sudden and intense burst of radiation from the sun's surface. It is caused by the release of magnetic energy build-up in the sun's atmosphere.

2. How can a solar flare affect Earth?

A strong solar flare can disrupt radio communications, satellite operations, and power grids on Earth. It can also cause auroras or northern lights in the polar regions.

3. What is the likelihood of a solar flare hitting Earth?

The likelihood of a solar flare directly hitting Earth is low, but the effects of a strong solar flare can still impact our planet.

4. How do scientists predict and track solar flares?

Scientists use satellites and ground-based telescopes to monitor the sun's activity and detect solar flares. They also use computer models to predict the path and intensity of a solar flare.

5. What precautions should we take if a solar flare is heading towards Earth?

If a solar flare is heading towards Earth, it is important to follow any warnings or alerts from government agencies. People in high-risk areas may need to take precautions such as unplugging electronic devices and avoiding outdoor activities that rely on technology.