Find Old Posts: Searching Your Threads by Content

• Thread starter LCKurtz
  • Start date
In summary, PF no longer has specific pages for posts. We use permalinks now. Maybe Google just can't find the post if it was buried in a long thread.
LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Sometimes a thread comes up about a topic I have posted at length on, but long ago. I may want to give a link to my old post, but frequently I don't remember what the thread was titled. I may recall some particular words or phrases I used in the discussion. Is there any way to search one's own threads by contents of the posts?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do that in advanced search
https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php

Last edited:
Perfect. Thanks for the quick response Greg. I hadn't noticed that feature.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You can do that in advanced search
https://www.physicsforums.com/search.php
Unfortunately, the search function uses OR for multiple words. And many physics-related words give too many hits to check all of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
mfb said:
Unfortunately, the search function uses OR for multiple words. And many physics-related words give too many hits to check all of them.
If it was your post, posting your member name in the google search will narrow it, you can use their advanced search and specify that your name MUST be in the result. I have pretty good luck that way.

Borek said:
@Greg Bernhardt - it doesn't work, and I can't find the page with a PF internal search either - does it mean page was lost?
Google changes, PF changed, maybe you need to change how you search for it :)

Did the thread title contain the keywords pepper cookies? PF no longer has specific pages for posts. We use permalinks now. Maybe Google just can't find the post if it was buried in a long thread.

What forum was it in?

Last edited:
Borek, is this the pepper cookie you're looking for?

Recipe is copied from recipezaar, I think someone mentioned pepper cookies during chat and I have googled them - and tried the recipe this week. Wow :)

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sweet unsalted butter, softened (don't fall into trap of using all 200 g box - too much)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
extra sugar, for dipping glass

Directions
1. Mix all ingredients (except for the extra sugar for dipping the glass) together well using a heavy duty mixer.
2. Roll into 1/2 inch size balls-you will need three large ungreased cookie sheets, 16 balls per sheet.
3. Use the flat base of a drinking glass that has been dipped into sugar to flatten each dough ball on the cookie sheets.
4. Bake in a preheated 350 F (or 180 C) oven for 8-11 minutes or until lighly browned on the edges- do not overbake.
5. Remove to wire racks to cool.

With 1/2 inch balls I got much more cookies, close to 100; could be my half inch was metric :wink: Egg was too small so I have added a bit of cream. No vanilla extract, but so called vanilla sugar did the trick.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-food-thread.124615/page-88#post-2008101

I found it using PF internal search *pepper cookies* in General discussion, that was all, came right up. I always start with the least amount of info in PF and add. Those DO sound yummy.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Thanks Evo, yes, that's it. I have it printed here, but someone asked me for a recipe and I hoped to be able to give just a link, instead of taking a picture and posting it to my fb account :/

Strange. Yesterday I did a search for "pepper cookies" posted by "Borek" and I got zero hits, now I get three.

But google search still doesn't work, as if the page was no longer indexed.

1. What is the purpose of "Find Old Posts"?

"Find Old Posts" is a search feature that allows you to search through your past forum posts by content. It helps you easily locate specific posts that you may want to refer back to or edit.

2. How do I use "Find Old Posts"?

To use "Find Old Posts", simply enter a keyword or phrase into the search bar and click on the search button. The feature will then scan through all of your past posts and display any that contain the keyword or phrase.

3. Can I search for posts from a specific time period?

Yes, you can narrow down your search results by selecting a specific time period from the drop-down menu. You can choose to search within the last day, week, month, or year.

4. What if I can't remember the exact keyword or phrase I used in a post?

If you are unsure of the specific keyword or phrase you used, you can use the wildcard character "*" to broaden your search. For example, if you remember a few words from the post but not the exact phrase, you can enter those words followed by "*" to search for all posts containing those words.

5. Can I search for posts in a specific forum or category?

Currently, "Find Old Posts" only allows you to search through your own posts. However, if a forum or category has a search feature, you can use that to search for posts within that specific forum or category.