Plotting the polarization ellipse

In summary, the speaker is working on a project involving plotting the polarization state of a laser using a polarimeter and is seeking assistance on how to plot the intensity profile as a function of rotational angle and how to incorporate a quarter wave plate to differentiate between right and left circular polarization. They are unsure of the relation between intensity and amplitude and would appreciate any help.
patmyer1
Hello,
I am tasked with plotting the polarization state of a laser (basically I've made a polarimeter), but I really have no idea where to go at this point. Below is a sample of the program I have written with some real data that I just took from a laser. I have the intensity profile as a function of the rotational angle of a linear polarizing sheet that I am driving with a motor.

How do I go from the intensity values as a function of the rotational angle of the polarizer to the polarization ellipse plot?

Any help would be doing me a huge favor and would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Sample data.png
    Sample data.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 573
Science news on Phys.org
Do you know the relation between intensity and amplitude? This way, you get the relation angle/amplitude, which can be plotted with your favorite plotting tool.

So if I simply take the square root of the intensity value as a function of time I can plot that against rotational angle in a polar plot?

I also have a quarter wave plate to distinguish between right and left circular polarization, but I am unclear on how to go about that also. This is a project for my work, and I am simply not up to speed on the requisite optics background to finish it is all. Thanks for any help!

patmyer1 said:
So if I simply take the square root of the intensity value as a function of time I can plot that against rotational angle in a polar plot?
As a function of angle not time, right.

With a quarter wave plate, you could check the direction of rotation of the field - find out if you have more clockwise or more ccw polarized light.

1. What is the polarization ellipse?

The polarization ellipse is a graphical representation of the polarization state of an electromagnetic wave. It shows the orientation and shape of the electric field vector as the wave propagates through space.

2. How is the polarization ellipse plotted?

The polarization ellipse is plotted by representing the electric field vector as a function of time. The horizontal and vertical components of the vector are then plotted on the x and y axes, respectively. The resulting shape is an ellipse, with the major and minor axes representing the magnitude and direction of the electric field vector.

3. What information can be obtained from a polarization ellipse?

The polarization ellipse provides information about the polarization state of an electromagnetic wave, including its orientation, ellipticity, and degree of polarization. It can also reveal the presence of multiple polarization components in a wave.

4. What are the applications of plotting the polarization ellipse?

Plotting the polarization ellipse is commonly used in optics and telecommunications to analyze and manipulate polarized light. It is also used in remote sensing, such as radar and satellite imaging, to determine the polarization properties of reflected or scattered electromagnetic waves.

5. Are there different types of polarization ellipses?

Yes, there are different types of polarization ellipses, including linear, circular, and elliptical. These types correspond to different orientations and shapes of the electric field vector, which can be manipulated using various optical components to achieve desired polarization states.