Understanding the area under a curv and trapizum rule

• Thread starter Taylor_1989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary: And in the limit as this happens, you end up with an integral.The original problem was to find the exact area under the curve. You can approximate that area by a bunch of thin rectangles. The exact area is the limit of these approximations. When you let the width of each rectangle go to zero, you get the exact area. And that's what the integral is. So you take the limit of the areas of the rectangles ΔA, which is a sum of the heights of the rectangles times their widths. That's a Riemann sum. When you let the widths go to zero, you get the integral.
Taylor_1989
I am having a bit of difficulty understanding the intuition behind it. So here my understanding so far, I have attached some photos of the book I am using to understand integration.

This is from the book I have posted, I am just going up to the part I do not understand.

S basically I have to consider a rectangle ( which is the one at the bottom of the first photograph ). This rectangle has a width of δx. An area of δA which is the shaded area.

The area of rectangle ABEF is yδx: which is pretty self explanatory.

The area of rectangle ABCD is (y+δy)δx

Therfore we have: yδx<δA <(y+δy)δx: So all this is doing is comparing the area to the 2 rectangles

Now the confusion begins, it say beceause δx >0 You should divided through by. Why is this?

Letting δx [itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0 gives [itex]\frac{δA}{δx}\rightarrow\frac{dA}{d} [/itex] and δy[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0 therefore [itex]\frac{dA}{dx}=y[/itex] this to me is saying that x is the independent variable and δA dependent variable; correct? So as more rectangle are add then obviously the area will get smaller and the more rectangles add δy will reach zero. But how dose [itex]\frac{dA}{dx}=y[/itex]

This is the trouble I am having up to a point, if someone could ans and the I will ask the other half of the trouble I am having. Or if someone feel like it explain from the beginning how the intergration of the curve works.

I am new to integration so I would appreciate all the help anyone can offer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:
So here my understanding so far, I have attached some photos of the book I am using to understand integration.

This is from the book I have posted, I am just going up to the part I do not understand.

S basically I have to consider a rectangle ( which is the one at the bottom of the first photograph ).
Did you mean to include some images with your post? Because you didn't.

Oh yeah that would help, give me sec they will be uploaded

Here they are, sorry about that

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 414
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 428
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 406
Taylor_1989 said:
I am having a bit of difficulty understanding the intuition behind it. So here my understanding so far, I have attached some photos of the book I am using to understand integration.
The ideas are pretty simple, actually. You have a typical area element that is the exact area under the curve between xi and xi+1 = Δx. You can approximate this area by a rectangle or by a trapezoid or by some other geometric figure.

If you approximate the area by a rectangle there are a couple of possibilities:
1. Use the left endpoint as the height of the rectangle, getting an area of f(xi)* Δx.
2. Use the right endpoint as the height of the rectangle, getting an area of f(xi + 1)* Δx.

If you approximate the area by a trapezoid instead of a rectangle, the top side of the trapezoid is a straight line between (xi, f(xi)) and (xi+1, f(xi+1)). The trazezoid approximation uses the idea that the area of a trapezoid is the base times the average of the two unequal sides.

IOW, the approximate area is (1/2)[ f(xi+1) + f(xi+1)] * Δx.

That's really all there is to it.
Taylor_1989 said:

S basically I have to consider a rectangle ( which is the one at the bottom of the first photograph ). This rectangle has a width of δx.
That would be Δx.
Taylor_1989 said:
An area of δA
That would be ΔA.
Taylor_1989 said:
which is the shaded area.

The area of rectangle ABEF is yδx: which is pretty self explanatory.

The area of rectangle ABCD is (y+δy)δx

Therfore we have: yδx<δA <(y+δy)δx: So all this is doing is comparing the area to the 2 rectangles

Now the confusion begins, it say beceause δx >0 You should divided through by. Why is this?

Letting δx [itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0 gives [itex]\frac{δA}{δx}\rightarrow\frac{dA}{d} [/itex]
That would be ##\frac{ΔA}{Δx}##, which does NOT have a limit of dA/d. dA/d is meaningless. Anyway, why are you taking this limit? To get the area under the curve, you want to add all the ΔA pieces, and that's what the Riemann sum is about.
Taylor_1989 said:
and δy[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0 therefore [itex]\frac{dA}{dx}=y[/itex]
??
Taylor_1989 said:
this to me is saying that x is the independent variable and δA dependent variable; correct? So as more rectangle are add then obviously the area will get smaller and the more rectangles add δy will reach zero. But how dose [itex]\frac{dA}{dx}=y[/itex]

This is the trouble I am having up to a point, if someone could ans and the I will ask the other half of the trouble I am having. Or if someone feel like it explain from the beginning how the intergration of the curve works.

I am new to integration so I would appreciate all the help anyone can offer.

Taylor_1989 said:
If you have an inequality, then multiplying or dividing both sides by a positive number keeps the inequality sign the same, while if you multiply or divide both sides by a negative number the inequality sign gets flipped. For instance, take the inequality 3<6. If you divide both sides by 3, you get 1<2. But if you instead divided both sides by -3, then you would get -1>-2; the less than sign changes to a greater than sign. So since δx is a positive number, when we divide by it the inequality signs stay the same.
Letting δx [itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0 gives [itex]\frac{δA}{δx}\rightarrow\frac{dA}{d} [/itex]
You mean [itex]\frac{δA}{δx}\rightarrow\frac{dA}{dx}[/itex].
this to me is saying that x is the independent variable and δA dependent variable; correct?
Yes, δA is a variable that depends on both x and δx. δy is also a variable that depends on both x and δx.
So as more rectangle are add then obviously the area will get smaller and the more rectangles add δy will reach zero.
Yes, as the rectangles become thinner and thinner, the amount δy that the function changes by between x and x+δx goes to zero.
But how dose [itex]\frac{dA}{dx}=y[/itex]
Let me explain that. We have the inequality y < δA/δx < y+δy. Now as δx goes to 0, y doesn't change, but δy goes to zero, so y+δy → y. Now there's a theorem in calculus, known as the squeeze theorem, that says that if f(x)<g(x)<h(x), and the limit of f(x) as x goes to a equals L, and the limit of h(x) as x goes to a equals L, then that implies that the limit of g(x) as x goes to a is also equal to L. So the limit of y as δx goes to 0 equals y, and the limit of y+δy as δx goes to 0 equals y, therefore by the squeeze theorem the limit of δA/δx as δx goes to 0 is also equal to y. And then we use the fact that the limit of δA/δx as δx goes to 0 is equal to dA/dx, therefore dA/dx = y.
This is the trouble I am having up to a point, if someone could ans and the I will ask the other half of the trouble I am having.
What's the other half of your trouble?
Or if someone feel like it explain from the beginning how the intergration of the curve works.
What exactly are you asking?

Right, first of all thanks for the replies. The have been a big help. I see how the rule work, but really its only and approximation, not a definite integral, because not matter how many rectangles or trap you will always have gaps in-between the curve. I think this is the real part that causing the confusion. I watch a couple of vids and read more articles but, nothing really ans my question.

Once again big for any advice that anyone could give.

Taylor_1989 said:
I see how the rule work, but really its only and approximation, not a definite integral, because not matter how many rectangles or trap you will always have gaps in-between the curve.

Yes, but as you add more and more rectangles or trapezia, the size of those gaps gets smaller and smaller. That's the point of approximation methods: you can usually make them as accurate as you wish, as long you're willing to do the extra computations.

So for example if, I workout the area underneath a curve of f(x) between two point a and b and take the integral. I am really getting a very close approximation to the actuall area under the curve. So when you say If your willing to do the calculation, you mean your are referring to the amount of ordinates, under a given curve?

Taylor_1989 said:
I see how the rule work, but really its only and approximation, not a definite integral, because not matter how many rectangles or trap you will always have gaps in-between the curve.
Yes, for any finite number of rectangles, it's only an approximation. But as the number of rectangles becomes bigger and bigger, the gaps become smaller and smaller, so the approximation becomes better and better. So in the limit as the number of rectangles goes to infinity, the thickness of each rectangle goes to zero, the size of the gaps goes to zero, and thus the approximate area becomes the exact area. Do you understand that point?

Taylor_1989 said:
So for example if, I workout the area underneath a curve of f(x) between two point a and b and take the integral. I am really getting a very close approximation to the actuall area under the curve. So when you say If your willing to do the calculation, you mean your are referring to the amount of ordinates, under a given curve?

The integral is exactly the area the curve, not just very close. It is the limit of these approximation methods as the number of rectangles is taken to infinity. For a finite number of rectangles, the result is approximate.

Right okay I have clocked it now. Thanks for clearing that, up for me. Some of my confusion stems from the book I read, that don't really show how, the integral dose what is dose more of here how to workout the math. If you catch my drift.

1. What is the purpose of understanding the area under a curve and trapezium rule?

The understanding of the area under a curve and trapezium rule is essential in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to calculate the total area under a curve, which represents the total change in a given quantity over a specific interval. This knowledge is crucial in analyzing data and making predictions.

2. How is the area under a curve calculated using the trapezium rule?

The trapezium rule is a method used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into trapezoids and calculating the sum of their areas. The formula for calculating the area of a trapezoid is (base 1 + base 2) x height / 2. By adding up the areas of all the trapezoids, we can get an estimate of the total area under the curve.

3. What are the limitations of using the trapezium rule to calculate the area under a curve?

One of the limitations of the trapezium rule is that it can only provide an approximation of the area under a curve. The more trapezoids are used, the more accurate the estimation will be, but it will never be exact. Additionally, the trapezium rule is not suitable for calculating the area under highly complex curves with sharp turns or discontinuities.

4. How is the area under a curve related to the concept of integration?

The area under a curve can be calculated using integration, which is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value of an area or a volume by summing up infinite infinitesimal elements. In other words, integration is the reverse process of differentiation, which is used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point.

5. Why is it important to understand the area under a curve in real-life applications?

The concept of the area under a curve has various real-life applications, such as calculating the displacement of an object, finding the total distance traveled, and determining the work done by a force. It is also used in economics, finance, and statistics to analyze data and make predictions. Understanding this concept is crucial in solving real-world problems and making informed decisions.