New And Improved PF Look[Easier to Browse]

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter Hysteria X
  • Start date
In summary, the OP suggests using tabs in place of the current system of scrolling down to find the forum of your choice. He thinks it would be easier and time saving, and that the lay-out is good as it is. Personally, I like the way it is as it is right now.
Hysteria X
in this 21st century where time is the most important thing it is a pain to scroll down the home page to select the topics of our choice what i suggest to this is using tabs(Like tabs in browsers like chrome and FF) here is a sample of what i mean

uZkFrYD.jpg

It would be really easy to check out the sections if it was in this format and quite time saving too. What do you think guyz

Physics news on Phys.org
I like the lay-out as it is now because you get an overview of every forum at once. Clicking tabs is going to be more annoying for me.

micromass said:
I like the lay-out as it is now because you get an overview of every forum at once. Clicking tabs is going to be more annoying for me.

Actually when you get used to it its aloooot easier.

Every topic in a single page as it currently is gives a clumpsy and messy look.

Imagine your current browser had no tabs and all the websites were shown on a single page?? you will understand what i am trying to say

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Sold! I'll make the changes tomorrow! :D

lol really? that's awesome :blushing:

so do i get something like a reward for the idea :tongue2:

Hysteria X said:
It would be really easy to check out the sections if it was in this format and quite time saving too. What do you think guyz

Personally I'd rather keep it the way it is. I very much like being able to simply scroll down and browse through the various forums since they show the most recent thread and post underneath the link.

Hysteria X said:
lol really? that's awesome :blushing:

so do i get something like a reward for the idea :tongue2:

I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's likely Greg is simply joking.
Between you and I he's REALLY bad at letting it be known.

I also think it's a bad idea. If I have to look for threads by clicking tabs, I will miss a lot of threads. Having it all viewable on one page just makes more sense. Won't making it harder to find threads reduce the number of posts? New members won't see things that interest them, so we could lose them. If it's not viewable on the homepage, what is going to make them dig for topics?

Last edited:
True. I have been to many websites where I have to spend far too much time searching for something on a sidebar just to get to where I wanted to be at. And that's if I even know to do that.

Drakkith said:
I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's likely Greg is simply joking.
Between you and I he's REALLY bad at letting it be known.
Really? I remember turning pink once. And didn't everything get redirected to Evo profile once?

dlgoff said:
Really? I remember turning pink once. And didn't everything get redirected to Evo profile once?

I remember everyone having Evo's avatar once.

I like his idea. There are some forums here that I never browse. Mostly because I don't have the time to browse all of them. It would be nice to have just the ones I'm most interested in listed.

If you're using Firefox you can do something very similar to what the op suggests. Open all the sub forums that you like into separate tabs. Right click on any tab and select "Bookmark all tabs". You will be prompted for a folder name. Name it "Physics Forums". There you have it. You can either select the subforum you want individually, or you can right click on "Physics Forums" and select "Open All in Tabs".

TurtleMeister said:
I like his idea. There are some forums here that I never browse. Mostly because I don't have the time to browse all of them. It would be nice to have just the ones I'm most interested in listed.
Therein lies the problem from the viewpoint of encouraging people to find more items of interest and stick around. I know many people that have said that they came here for one question, got their answer, but then noticed all of the other topics and got hooked. They would have left and never returned otherwise.

If there is a way Greg can make blocking out the rest of the forum an option to people that have only one interest, but leave the homepage as an easy and quick way to browse what's going on for the rest of us, then ok.

For me the textbook forum presents a problem of knowing if a textbook has been listed or not because there's no index by title or author

jedishrfu said:
For me the textbook forum presents a problem of knowing if a textbook has been listed or not because there's no index by title or author

Yes, I know. But I'm working on that. Patience :smile:

dlgoff said:
And didn't everything get redirected to Evo profile once?

Yes, it was a bleak, desolate time in PF history. All that remember it label it the "Age of Strife" and pray that it never occurs again.

Drakkith said:
Yes, it was a bleak, desolate time in PF history. All that remember it label it the "Age of Strife" and pray that it never occurs again.

Oh God. The memories... It's all coming back to me... :cry:

Hysteria X said:
...it is a pain to scroll down the home page to select the topics of our choice...

I have a 1200x1920 monitor. :)

Portrait monitors make pretty much everything except games nicer.

micromass said:
Yes, I know. But I'm working on that. Patience :smile:

Hey Thanks Micro! That will really help.

dlgoff said:
Really? I remember turning pink once.

I kind of like it

JuvaizB.png

I mine as well include my own suggestion for the site, as well

umkWYQ1.png

I don't know, it's not that great of an idea, but I'd be pretty surprised if the forum doesn't look like this tomorrow morning.

Copying other websites Layout is not a good idea! PF is so good.

As TurtleMeister mentioned such view can be configured at the browser level. At least that's what I have here under Opera - when I open the browser it shows (in tabs) exactly the PF pages I need to visit when reporting for duty.

Please make this an option in the user control panel or something! Like micromass, I like seeing everything at once and being able to "switch tabs/topics" by simply scrolling down with the mouse wheel rather than having to aim that pesky pointer at stuff and click.

jhae2.718 said:
Portrait monitors make pretty much everything except games nicer.
Even better is having one portrait and one landscape monitor.
AnTiFreeze3 said:
I mine as well include my own suggestion for the site, as well
:rofl:

I also vote for the AntiFreeze format and color scheme!

jedishrfu said:
micromass has indexed the mathematics textbook forum. Meanwhile, one can search each forum for the author, or keyword in the title. If the author's name doesn't produce a result, then there is a good chance the book is not listed.

1. What is the purpose of the "New And Improved PF Look" update?

The purpose of this update is to make browsing the PF (Personal Finance) section of the website easier and more user-friendly. This includes a more organized layout, improved navigation, and new features to help users find the information they need more efficiently.

2. What are some specific changes that have been made in this update?

Some of the changes include a new search bar for easier navigation, a sidebar with quick links to popular topics, and a more visually appealing design. The categorization of articles has also been improved for better organization and accessibility.

3. Will I still be able to access all the same content as before?

Yes, all the previous content will still be available. The only difference is that it will now be easier to find and access through the new features and improved layout.

4. Can I still customize my browsing experience?

Yes, you can still customize your browsing experience by using the search bar and the sidebar to quickly find the topics and articles that interest you the most. You can also save articles for later, create bookmarks, and adjust the font size for better readability.

5. How will this update benefit me as a user?

This update will benefit you by making it easier and more efficient to browse and access the information in the PF section. You will be able to find what you need faster, have a more organized browsing experience, and have access to new features that will enhance your overall experience on the website.