BTU transfer of stainless steel pipe

In summary, the stainless steel pipe has a low thermal conductivity, so the pool of water is not transferring a lot of heat. With the help of a dirty assumption, you can get an estimate of how many BTU's are being transferred. Thanks for your help!
biotech
I know this is a complicated question, and depends on a lot of factors. So, I will do my best in explaining the situations. I am trying to regulate the temperature of a pool of circulating water. I have 8' of stainless 304, 1" OD, 14 awg, pipe, positioned against the flow of water (to provide as much thermal transfer as possible in this pool). The average maintained temperature of the pool is 70F.

Hot water is heated in a boiler system to a temperature of 170F. This heated water will be pumped at a rate of 15 gallons per minute, through the 1" stainless steel heat exchanging pipe, mentioned above (8' length).

In this water to water heat exchanging application, can someone tell me how many Btu's I will get? If I left an important factor out of the equation, please let me know. Thanks :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You're right that this is a bit of a complicated problem. You said you have the pipe position so pool water is flowing against it. Do you know how fast? Otherwise it would just be natural convection carrying the heat away.

Do you have the ability to put radiator-type fins on the outside of the pipe? 15gpm is pretty fast and capable of transferring a lot of heat, but what's going on on the outside of the pipe would be your limiting factor. If you can get effective heat transfer you might be able to pull 75,000 BTU out of it, but I'm guessing with what you have it'll be around a tenth of that.

There is an easy equation with a dirty assumption for convective heat transfer coefficient here:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/convective-heat-transfer-d_430.html

Basically, you take the surface area of the pipe times the delta-T times the coefficient to get heat transfer rate. If you need help with it after playing with it a bit, let me know.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

You're right that this is a bit of a complicated problem. You said you have the pipe position so pool water is flowing against it. Do you know how fast? Otherwise it would just be natural convection carrying the heat away.

Do you have the ability to put radiator-type fins on the outside of the pipe? 15gpm is pretty fast and capable of transferring a lot of heat, but what's going on on the outside of the pipe would be your limiting factor. If you can get effective heat transfer you might be able to pull 75,000 BTU out of it, but I'm guessing with what you have it'll be around a tenth of that.

There is an easy equation with a dirty assumption for convective heat transfer coefficient here:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/convective-heat-transfer-d_430.html

Basically, you take the surface area of the pipe times the delta-T times the coefficient to get heat transfer rate. If you need help with it after playing with it a bit, let me know.

Russ, thanks for the info. To clarify, I am not needing to better my btu transfer. I already have the stainless steel pipe in place and am satisfied with the amount of heat transfer, for the application. I just need to try to figure out what kind btu's are being transferred. Yes, hot water goes into the pipe, and slightly less hot water comes out of the pipe. So, I know there is not much heat transfer happening.

I have found one piece of the puzzle. The thermal conductivity of 304 stainless steel is around 14 W/m-K (at 293 K...whatever that means). And, natural convection would be fine to assume. From there, I am still not savvy to put the rest of the puzzle together, even with the link to the "easy equation". I wish I was better with formulas. If you could help, even with a dirty assumption, I would be grateful.
Thanks, Jim

1. How does the BTU transfer of stainless steel pipe compare to other materials?

The BTU (British Thermal Unit) transfer of stainless steel pipe is relatively high compared to other materials. This is because stainless steel has a lower thermal conductivity, meaning it can retain heat for longer periods of time.

2. What factors affect the BTU transfer of stainless steel pipe?

The BTU transfer of stainless steel pipe can be affected by several factors, including the thickness and composition of the steel, the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the pipe, and the presence of any insulation or coatings on the pipe.

3. Does the size of the pipe affect the BTU transfer of stainless steel pipe?

Yes, the size of the pipe can affect the BTU transfer of stainless steel pipe. Larger pipes have a higher surface area, which allows for more efficient heat transfer. However, the thickness of the pipe also plays a role, as thicker pipes may have a lower BTU transfer due to their lower thermal conductivity.

4. Is there a maximum BTU transfer for stainless steel pipe?

There is no maximum BTU transfer for stainless steel pipe. The BTU transfer will vary depending on the temperature difference and other factors mentioned previously. However, stainless steel does have a relatively high BTU transfer compared to other materials.

5. How can I improve the BTU transfer of stainless steel pipe?

To improve the BTU transfer of stainless steel pipe, you can use insulation or coatings to reduce heat loss, increase the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the pipe, or choose a larger diameter pipe with a thinner wall thickness. Additionally, ensuring proper installation and maintenance of the pipe can also help optimize its BTU transfer.