Understanding the Relationship Between Sine Waves and Sine Angles?

In summary, sine waves are closely related to the concept of a sine angle which is used in trigonometry. A sine wave can be visualized as a rotating wheel where the height of the spoke above the center at a particular angle represents the value of sine. This is only valid for angles between 0 and 90 degrees, but can also be extended to larger angles by using the symmetry of the circle. Additionally, trigonometric functions like sin, cos, and tan do not have inherent numerical values, but represent operations to be performed on a given number.
Newtons Apple
Hello everyone. Can someone explain the relationship between the idea of a sine wave, and the idea of a sine angle? I'm getting into trig, and I hear both terms of sin tossed around, but they seem to be completely unrelated. What does the angle of the triangle have to do with a wave?

Same goes for sin, cos, tan, I know these are ratio's for angles on a right triangle, but I found these terms also applying to things unrelated to triangles

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Newtons Apple! :smile:
Newtons Apple said:
Can someone explain the relationship between the idea of a sine wave, and the idea of a sine angle?

Imagine a particular spoke a wheel of radius r rotating on a fixed axle.

When it is at angle θ, trig tells you that its height (above the centre) is h = rsinθ.

If θ = ωt, with ω constant, then the height as a function of time is h = rsinωt …

this is a sine wave! :wink:

Newtons Apple said:
Hello everyone. Can someone explain the relationship between the idea of a sine wave, and the idea of a sine angle? I'm getting into trig, and I hear both terms of sin tossed around, but they seem to be completely unrelated. What does the angle of the triangle have to do with a wave?

Same goes for sin, cos, tan, I know these are ratio's for angles on a right triangle, but I found these terms also applying to things unrelated to triangles

tiny-tim said:
Hello Newtons Apple! :smile:

Imagine a particular spoke a wheel of radius r rotating on a fixed axle.

When it is at angle θ, trig tells you that its height (above the centre) is h = rsinθ.

If θ = ωt, with ω constant, then the height as a function of time is h = rsinωt …

this is a sine wave! :wink:

And to take it one step farther, take that spinning wheel and mark the point on the tire that lines up with the end of the spoke. Turn the wheel so you see the edge of the wheel, and you will see that marked spot going up and down (imagine you can see through the wheel to see the spot when it is on the other side). Now translate the wheel linearly to the left, and the spot will trace out a sine wave! :smile:

Click for animation -- http://www.rkm.com.au/animations/animation-sine-wave.html
sine-wave-graph.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I concur with tiny-tim's and berkeman's explanations of "sine wave". I have never seen the phrase "sine angle". Do you mean "sine of an angle"?

That is...sort of mind blowing..I never really though of triangles as part of a circle...and a circle part of a wave..How is this possible?? But this is only valid for triangles with angles from 0 to 90 degree's right? Also when I see sin, or cos, or tan, in an equation, they themselves don't inherently have any value right? they just denote an operation to do on another number? I was always thinking that sin, cos,tang, etc.. actually have a value associated with them..like pi.

Newtons Apple said:
That is...sort of mind blowing..I never really though of triangles as part of a circle...and a circle part of a wave..How is this possible?? But this is only valid for triangles with angles from 0 to 90 degree's right? Also when I see sin, or cos, or tan, in an equation, they themselves don't inherently have any value right? they just denote an operation to do on another number? I was always thinking that sin, cos,tang, etc.. actually have a value associated with them..like pi.

Did you watch the animation? It makes it pretty clear how the sin and cos work. Your question about the tan is not so applicable to this thread/topic.

Newtons Apple said:
Also when I see sin, or cos, or tan, in an equation, they themselves don't inherently have any value right? they just denote an operation to do on another number? I was always thinking that sin, cos,tang, etc.. actually have a value associated with them..like pi.

Trig functions (sinx,cosx,etc) do not have a value on their own. I see this mistake over and over again. Students treat sin as some number on its own and do algebra as though ##\sin x## means ##\sin \times\, x## and is the same as ##x\times\sin##. They are functions. That is, they only have a numerical value when an argument is specified (like ##x=\pi/2##).

berkeman said:
Click for animation -- http://www.rkm.com.au/animations/animation-sine-wave.html
nice! :smile:
Newtons Apple said:
..I never really though of triangles as part of a circle...and a circle part of a wave..How is this possible?? But this is only valid for triangles with angles from 0 to 90 degree's right?

in the red circle in berkeman's :smile: image, sinθ is the height (above the centre line) of the end of the spoke at angle θ

if θ is between 90° and 180°, that height is still positive, and shows that sin (180° - θ) = sinθ

if θ is between 180° and 360°, that height is negative, and shows that sin (360° - θ) = -sinθ :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a sine wave?

A sine wave is a mathematical curve that represents a smooth repetitive oscillation, such as the shape of a sound wave or the movement of a pendulum. It can be described by the mathematical function y = sin(x), where x is the angle in radians and y is the value of the sine function at that angle.

What is the relationship between sine waves and angles?

Sine waves and angles have a close relationship because the value of the sine function depends on the angle. As the angle increases, the value of the sine function also increases, reaching a maximum of 1 at 90 degrees (π/2 radians) and then decreasing back to 0 at 180 degrees (π radians).

What is the significance of sine waves in science and engineering?

Sine waves are used in various scientific and engineering fields to model and analyze periodic phenomena. They are particularly useful in the fields of acoustics, optics, and signal processing. In addition, many natural phenomena, such as ocean waves and sound waves, can be approximated by sine waves.

How are sine waves used to represent sound and light?

In sound and light, sine waves are used to represent the physical vibrations and oscillations that make up these phenomena. In sound, the frequency (pitch) of a sine wave corresponds to the perceived pitch of a sound. In light, the wavelength of a sine wave corresponds to the color of the light.

What are some real-life examples of sine waves?

Some common examples of sine waves in real life include the motion of a swing, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the electrical signals in our brains. Other examples include the movement of a pendulum, the sound waves produced by a tuning fork, and the electromagnetic waves that make up radio and television signals.