Do you have Asperger's Syndrome Test

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary: PIn summary, this conversation is about a test that measures the extent of autistic traits in adults, called the Autism-Spectrum Quotient or AQ. The average score in the control group was 16.4, with 80% of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scoring 32 or higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, and many who score above 32 report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives. Some participants in the conversation scored above 32, while others scored below. There is speculation that famous scientists like Newton and Einstein may have had Asperger's, and the conversation also touches on other mental disorders such as ADD and OCD.
munky99999 said:
But on this question.

7. Other people frequently tell me that what I've said is impolite, even though I think it is polite.
Definitely agree
Slightly agree
Slightly disagree
Definitely disagree

I do have people saying that i say things that are impolite. but i do them to BE impolite and i know they are impolite.
I don't see the problem. You answered "definitely disagree", right?

Physics news on Phys.org
these tests always make me realize one thing: I'm very noncommittal. i rarely ever answered strongly agree or disagree. except about playing pretending games and reading stories.

so, what would a person with aspergers answer for most of these q's?

rho said:
That test isn't much good i have Asperger's Syndrome and i got 22 :tongue:
That doesn't necessarily say much about the test's validity, since one's score on the test is not intended to be diagnostic of Asperger's.

hypnagogue said:
That doesn't necessarily say much about the test's validity, since one's score on the test is not intended to be diagnostic of Asperger's.
In fact, rereading Evo original post:

Psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen and his colleagues at Cambridge's Autism Research Centre have created the Autism-Spectrum Quotient, or AQ, as a measure of the extent of autistic traits in adults. In the first major trial using the test, the average score in the control group was 16.4. Eighty percent of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scored 32 or higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, however, and many who score above 32 and even meet the diagnostic criteria for mild autism or Asperger's report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives.

it covers the whole autism "spectrum". It's not actually aimed at Aspberger's at all. Wolly is, apparently, autistic. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

zoobyshoe said:
In fact, rereading Evo original post:

it covers the whole autism "spectrum". It's not actually aimed at Aspberger's at all. Wolly is, apparently, autistic. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:mad: that is deflamation of character i hope you know, i am perfectly ok,
there is nothing going wrong in my brown bread :smile:

wolram said:
I was "deflaming" the test. I actually used smileys for the first time to make sure that was understood. I'm going back to not using them. They don't work.

Damn can't do the test at work, I was saving that for a tea break.

Anyway on a side note for someone with fairly sever aspergers what sort of treatments are available these days, I've heard it's perfectly possible even for those with a more sever form to live perfectly normal lives, but how do you go about training the brain to overcome the inherent disadvantages. Apparently Bill Gates has Aspergers, he seems vaguely normal to me :smile:

wolram said:

Don't worry Aspergers is characterised by an inability to read facial expressions, it just confirms the diagnosis :wink::rofl:

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
I was "deflaming" the test. I actually used smileys for the first time to make sure that was understood. I'm going back to not using them. They don't work.

Be cool zooby, i was only joshing, i have known for a long time i have a
hiccup some where, i still mix up D and B and have trouble recognizing
some words, i read every thing i type two or three times before posting,
that is why i ever hardly make a spelling mistake now.

zoobyshoe said:
Well, duh, zoob! Smilies are useless for people with Asperger's if they can't read facial expressions! :rofl:

OK, here's my Asperger's test:

What mood is he in? :cry:

What mood is he in? :smile:

What mood is he in? :eek:

What mood is he in? :mad:

What mood is he in? :grumpy:

What mood is he in? :frown:

Last edited:
Steve scored 13 and I got an outstanding 38 and that was on a good day!

hahaha poor woolly-ram can tell you about my little nuances - like not poking holes in lids...

Oh boy.

Maybe
Result: 39. Your score isn't an achievement, it just is.
Psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen and his colleagues at Cambridge's Autism Research Centre have created the Autism-Spectrum Quotient, or AQ, as a measure of the extent of autistic traits in adults. In the first major trial using the test, the average score in the control group was 16.4. Eighty percent of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scored 32 or higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, however, and many who score above 32 and even meet the diagnostic criteria for mild autism or Asperger's report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives. You scored 32 or above. Do with that what you will.

My test tracked 1 variable How you compared to other people your age and gender:

You scored higher than 94% on points

Actually, I've suspected these traits in myself for a while.

Math Is Hard said:

What mood is he in? :cry:

What mood is he in? :smile:

What mood is he in? :eek:

What mood is he in? :mad:

What mood is he in? :grumpy:

What mood is he in? :frown:
Um...A=cry, B=smile C=eek D=mad E=grumpy F=frown

Hehehe I cheated. Guess how.

I wonder what mood my boss will be in, about now, it is his birthday, and i
drew a picture of him in a rocking chair on the message board. with a note
saying, not long to go now.

wolram said:
I wonder what mood my boss will be in, about now, it is his birthday, and i
drew a picture of him in a rocking chair on the message board. with a note
saying, not long to go now.
You're a brave one, Wolly!

15, along with 'You scored higher than 13% on points', whatever the hell that means.
I guess I'll have to leave PF; I'm too normal to be here. :cry:

I'll quit crying if Moonie and Monique come with me. :tongue2:

Oh, what the hell... MIH, you're invited too... just for balance, you understand. :uhh:

Hey, wait a minute! If Greg scored that low, then it must be the rest of you who don't belong. Begone, you whackos.

Danger said:
Oh, what the hell... MIH, you're invited too... just for balance, you understand. :uhh: [/SIZE]

er, no... um.. I don't understand actually, but then I finally took the test and scored a 32, so I might not be good with nuances. :frown:

Math Is Hard said:
I might not be good with nuances. :frown:
Then let me assure you that my intentions are entirely honourable. :devil: :!) :rolleyes:

Oh my Moonbear, you must just fly around by the seat of your pants! Mine came in at 16 and I haven't planned anything since my trip out of the uterus.

And I'm betting that you packed pretty light for that.

zoobyshoe said:
I don't see the problem. You answered "definitely disagree", right?
i forget which i picked. but i think i chose slightly as it sounded less problematic.

As for the test's validity. While i haven't actually been to a real psychologist or anything. There are a lot of similarities in aspergers and me. Like compared to your normal party going. I am socially dead. I just would rather talk to friends on msn. Play bf2. read something(currently reading The Hobbit:Tolkein) or argue philosophy(Prove jesus existed:Prove God exists:prove creationism, obviously nobody can) But the thing is. I can tell what people are feeling(most of the time, those bastards are good at poker :cry: ) I answered all the questions honestly and got a pretty low score.

and yes I am a huge nerd and geek.

munky99999 said:
i forget which i picked. but i think i chose slightly as it sounded less problematic.

As for the test's validity. While i haven't actually been to a real psychologist or anything. There are a lot of similarities in aspergers and me. Like compared to your normal party going. I am socially dead. I just would rather talk to friends on msn. Play bf2. read something(currently reading The Hobbit:Tolkein) or argue philosophy(Prove jesus existed:Prove God exists:prove creationism, obviously nobody can) But the thing is. I can tell what people are feeling(most of the time, those bastards are good at poker :cry: ) I answered all the questions honestly and got a pretty low score.

and yes I am a huge nerd and geek.
Just to make it clear: Asperger's isn't a grab bag term for being introverted and geeky. It's a well defined syndrome with specific characteristics and deficits. I, too, never go to parties or bars, spend most of my time alone, spend too much time on the web, read alot, etc, but in spite of all that I'm nowhere near having Asperger's. The "similarities" you mention are superficial, unimportant ones. You may have some sort of extreme personality, but it's not any authentic overlap with Asperger's.

zoobyshoe said:
Just to make it clear: Asperger's isn't a grab bag term for being introverted and geeky. It's a well defined syndrome with specific characteristics and deficits. I, too, never go to parties or bars, spend most of my time alone, spend too much time on the web, read alot, etc, but in spite of all that I'm nowhere near having Asperger's. The "similarities" you mention are superficial, unimportant ones. You may have some sort of extreme personality, but it's not any authentic overlap with Asperger's.

And this is why I dislike these dumb amateur tests. I'm introverted and geeky, but I'm pretty sure I'm not autistic in any sense. (What I posted above was just a joke). INTP yes, Asperger's no way.

Then again, even psychiatrists have difficulty with diagnoses like Asperger's. The crux here is that someone must find you almost unmanageably "odd" - prompting them to seek professional mental help for you. Then a psychiatric diagnosis will be made from a series of rather soft signs. But the important thing is that someone else (presumably someone "normal") must've had enough problems with your behaviour to seek help for you in the first place. That lends greater specificity to psychiatric diagnoses.

OTOH, just getting an unselected population that is just a little weird (but probably not pathologically so) to take a poorly designed anonymous questionnaire is BOUND to have many false positives *and* miss many genuine cases too.

But modern psychiatry may be reaching a little with some of the diagnoses it purports to be able to make. Personality disorders are not pathological in the sense that the patient cannot function in society, they are just annoying as heck :biggrin: and very occasionally violent and dangerous to themselves and others. These "soft" labels (including perhaps even Asperger's, ADD and others) may be "diseases" seeking real pathology.

Until an organic or functional deficit is demonstrable on objective testing, I would be wary of "diagnoses" such as the above. Then again, most psychiatric diagnoses (including frank psychosis) cannot be backed up with the most sensitive functional diagnostic tools that we have. I would've expected a person floridly hearing command hallucinations to have some interesting activity in the temporal lobe - alas, this has never been picked up. So the "science" of psychiatry will always be held in doubt by hard-headed skeptics.

Danger said:
Then let me assure you that my intentions are entirely honourable. :devil: :!) :rolleyes:
Danger you have no chance :grumpy: may be if you spent a week with an
epilator and a couple of weeks in a mud bath, no it is just no good :grumpy: :cry: try riding on the handle bars of a cycle you may get back to your own
kind :rofl:

If I got into a mud bath, I'd have SOS all over me... which is not a bad idea. (You remember her fascination with pigs?) Thanks for the suggestion.
I have no idea what the hell that last sentence is about.

Curious3141 said:
And this is why I dislike these dumb amateur tests.

If we examine this:

"Psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen and his colleagues at Cambridge's Autism Research Centre have created the Autism-Spectrum Quotient, or AQ, as a measure of the extent of autistic traits in adults."

it appears that they designed this questionaire specifically to pick up on allegedly "autistic" traits in the general public. In other words, they have probably selected out specific autistic traits that they realized can be found in a lot of non-autistic people in order to create the impression more people are autistic-like than we think or that autistic people aren't so abnormal after all. They negelected to include questions about some very important indicators like eye contact with others, and over-sensitivity to various sensory stimuli. There are no questions to tease out info about physical awkwardness or personal grooming. So it's not a diagnostic questionaire at all, it doesn't fish properly for the telling constellation of make or break indicators.

Then again, even psychiatrists have difficulty with diagnoses like Asperger's.
Psychiatrists have difficuly with every diagnosis.

Different kinds of brains scans are performed all the time on people with Asperger's, they always find something unusual, but they haven't found the link between the various problems. If "theory of mind" requires the proper functioning of, and communication between several different brain areas, which such a complex ability probably does, then a slew of apparently unrelated different lesions or areas of hypoperfusion could interrupt it equally well.

I did this test ages ago and i got a 43. I've done two other tests in which is got 175 out of 200, where like 60 was the neurotypical result ish. I did a third home test one where it basically said, 'go get checked out, aspy is the most likely diagnosis.'

woot i have aspergers

Math Is Hard said:
Well, duh, zoob! Smilies are useless for people with Asperger's if they can't read facial expressions!

What mood is he in? :cry: Blue

What mood is he in? :smile: Yellow

What mood is he in? :eek: Light blue with red tongue

What mood is he in? :mad: Red

What mood is he in? :grumpy: Orange

What mood is he in? :frown: Purple

Hah! That was easy. OK, where's my prize? Where's my degree in psychiatry?

Astronuc said:
What mood is he in? :cry: Blue

What mood is he in? :smile: Yellow

What mood is he in? :eek: Light blue with red tongue

What mood is he in? :mad: Red

What mood is he in? :grumpy: Orange

What mood is he in? :frown: Purple

Hah! That was easy. OK, where's my prize? Where's my degree in psychiatry?
Haha!

Smiles are really useful to be fair because they are obvious whereas human expressions are not. Also contact over the internet is preferable as it eliminates having to worry about tones in the voice and facial expressions and moods can be displayed simplistically as rather neat little pictures. :smile:

Unaffected
Result: 22. Your score isn't an achievement, it just is.

Yay.

- Warren

Unaffected
Result: 18. Your score isn't an achievement, it just is.

i scored 32...

and i scored higher than 99% on points

whats that's supposed to mean?!

On the bright side, aren't people with Aspergers supposed to be somewhat gifted in other areas?

Evo said:
On the bright side, aren't people with Aspergers supposed to be somewhat gifted in other areas?
not necessarily true. that's a stereotype really from films like rain man and a beautiful mind. The fact is that gifts like those aren't the norm for people with an autism spectrum disorder and nor are 'enhanced' abilities in other areas. They get publicised more because when they do have a talent it tends to be exceptional.

Kurdt said:
not necessarily true. that's a stereotype really from films like rain man and a beautiful mind. The fact is that gifts like those aren't the norm for people with an autism spectrum disorder and nor are 'enhanced' abilities in other areas. They get publicised more because when they do have a talent it tends to be exceptional.
Shhhhhh, I'm trying to give them some hope. :uhh:

Actually I read it was something to do with music, but maybe it was that they were bad at it, I don't remember, I'm becoming senile.

I can't even remember what Switzerland is called, hush EL, apparently, it's NOT called Sweden.:grumpy:

Last edited: