Why Must the Parameter p be an Integer in U(1) Representations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the irreducible representations of the Lie group U(1) and the corresponding Lie algebra u(1). It is explained that the irreps of u(1) are 1 dimensional and are given by f(a i) = p a i for some real number p. The exponentiated result shows that the irreducible representations of U(1) are given by g(exp(i theta)) = exp(i p theta). It is noted that p must be an integer and this is further explained by considering the fact that for every integer n, the elements of U(1) exp(2n pi i theta) and exp(i theta) are the same. This leads to the conclusion that g(exp(i theta))
Pietjuh
Hello, perhaps this is the most dumb question ever, but I don't see why it holds.
I'm looking at the irreducible representations of the Lie group U(1). To find them I considered the irreps of the lie algebra u(1). These irreps are obviously 1 dimensional and are given by f(a i ) = p a i for some real number p. If I now exponentiate this result I find that the irreducible representations of U(1) are given by g( exp(i theta) ) = exp(i p theta). But I read that p must be an integer. I cannot see however why this must be true! :(

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
What is "a i"?

Of course, have you worked out the lie algebra of U(1) correctly? Are you allowing for the fact that you really only want unitary reps, and that even if as claimed the lie algebra is just the complex numbers that this is not a semi-simple lie algebra over C?

Last edited:
For every integer n, exp( 2 n pi i theta) is the same element of U(1) as exp(i theta). Hence, g( exp(i theta)) = g( exp( 2 n pi i theta)) for every integer n.

matt grime said:
What is "a i"?

Of course, have you worked out the lie algebra of U(1) correctly? Are you allowing for the fact that you really only want unitary reps, and that even if as claimed the lie algebra is just the complex numbers that this is not a semi-simple lie algebra over C?

Let me clarfiy my derivation of the Lie algebra of U(1). Let exp(i theta) be an arbitrary element of U(1). Then the Lie algebra is the tangent space at the identity element, so u(1) is spanned by the basis vector i. This means that u(1) = { ai | a in R }.

Since U(1) is not simply connected the correspondence between representations of U(1) and u(1) fails to hold generally.

matt grime said:
Since U(1) is not simply connected the correspondence between representations of U(1) and u(1) fails to hold generally.

I'm not sure what you mean. Because U(1) is not simply connected, any Lie Group that is a covering of U(1) shares a Lie algebra with U(1).

However, U(1) is connected and compact, and therefore the exponential map from u(1) to U(1) is onto.

Isn't this enough foe what Pietjuh wants?

I am not entirely shure what it is pietjuh actually wants, to be honest.

Sorry, Pietjuh, I didn't see my typo until now

George Jones said:
For every integer n, exp( 2 n pi i theta) is the same element of U(1) as exp(i theta). Hence, g( exp(i theta)) = g( exp( 2 n pi i theta)) for every integer n.

Cleary, this should be g( exp(i theta)) = g( exp( 2 n pi i + i theta)).

Now do you see why p must be an integer?

What is U(1)?

U(1) refers to the unitary group of order 1, which is a mathematical group used to represent transformations in quantum mechanics. It is also known as the circle group, as it can be represented by the unit circle in the complex plane.

How is U(1) used in physics?

U(1) is used to represent the symmetry of a system in quantum field theory. It is also used to describe the gauge symmetry in the Standard Model of particle physics, which governs the interactions between elementary particles.

What are representations of U(1)?

Representations of U(1) are mathematical objects that describe how the group behaves under certain transformations. In the context of physics, they are used to describe the properties and behavior of particles and fields.

What are the different types of representations of U(1)?

The two main types of representations of U(1) are the fundamental representation and the adjoint representation. The fundamental representation describes the properties of elementary particles, while the adjoint representation describes the properties of fields.

How are representations of U(1) related to other groups?

U(1) is a subgroup of the unitary group, and its representations are related to representations of other groups such as SU(2) and SU(3). These groups are used to describe other fundamental interactions in particle physics, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces.