Electric Heating Coil: Potential Difference in 3.5 mins

In summary, the problem involves an electric heating coil immersed in water, with a resistance of 260 Ω and a time of 3.5 mins to warm the water from 22°C to 33°C. To find the potential difference at which the coil operates, the amount of heat absorbed by the water must first be calculated using the formula Q = CmΔT. Then, the power can be calculated using P = Q/t. Finally, the voltage can be found using the formula V^2/R = P. The solution does not involve capacitance or charges.
FlipStyle1308
An electric heating coil is immersed in 4.2 kg of water at 22°C. The coil, which has a resistance of 260 Ω, warms the water to 33°C in 3.5 mins. What is the potential difference at which the coil operates?

I was looking through the chapter, and did not see any equations that I can use that involve temperatures, but does this problem involve the equation q(t) = CE[1-e^(-t/T)]?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the quantity of heat absorbed by water? Heat absorbed by water is heat dissipated by heater. Once you know the wattage and resistance of heater, calculate the voltage.

Here's what I did, and I got my answer wrong, but see if you can catch my mistake:

C = Q/mT = 4186 J/(kgK) = Q/(4.2 kg)(306.15 K - 295.15 K) => Q = 193,393.2 C
I = Q/t = 193,393.2 C / 210 s = 920.92 A
V = IR = (920.92 A)(260 ohm) = 239,439.2 V

I thought my overall answer seemed somewhat high, and I was right. Are any of the equations I used incorrect?

Last edited:
Bump! Is anyone able to determine what I am doing wrong?

The solution for this problem should not involve capacitanc, charges etc.
It's much simpler.
First you calculate the amount of heat the water absorbed.
Heat=specific heat * mass * temperature difference
The heat is the energy that the resistor transferred to the water, in a certain amount of time. Hence the power is
Power = energy / time
now use the formula
(Voltage)^2 / resistance = power
and that's it.

Awesome, thank you so much!

1. What is an electric heating coil?

An electric heating coil is a device that converts electrical energy into heat energy, typically made of a resistive material that produces heat when an electrical current passes through it.

2. How does a heating coil create heat?

A heating coil creates heat through the process of Joule heating, where the resistance of the material causes the electrical energy to be converted into thermal energy.

3. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the measure of the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V).

4. How does potential difference affect the heating coil?

The potential difference applied to a heating coil determines the amount of current that flows through it, which in turn affects the amount of heat produced by the coil.

5. Can a heating coil overheat?

Yes, a heating coil can overheat if the potential difference or current is too high, which can cause the resistive material to reach its melting point and potentially cause a fire. It is important to properly regulate the potential difference in order to prevent overheating.