What is the equation of motion to determine when a rod will slip off a table?

In summary, the rod will slip off the edge of the table if the angle of rotation is greater than tan^-1(mu*L^2/(L^2+9a^2)). The angle of rotation should be found using the equation of motion and the normal force.
schuksj
Hi. My question is this. A uniform rod of length 2L is held resting on a horizonal table with length L+a projecting over the edge. If the support is removed, show tthat the rod willb egin to slide over hte ege when it has turned through an angle tan^-1(mu*L^2/(L^2+ 9a^2)). mu is the coeffiecent of static friction. I am having trouble finding the equation of motion to start this problem.

m*a=mgsin(theta)-mu*m*g*cos(theta) I think is the right way to start since
force of friction=mu*m*g*cos(theta). Now how do I go from here to get the angle it slips off? And what should the angle of rotation be?

Physics news on Phys.org
schuksj said:
Hi. My question is this. A uniform rod of length 2L is held resting on a horizonal table with length L+a projecting over the edge. If the support is removed, show tthat the rod willb egin to slide over hte ege when it has turned through an angle tan^-1(mu*L^2/(L^2+ 9a^2)). mu is the coeffiecent of static friction. I am having trouble finding the equation of motion to start this problem.

force of friction=mu*m*g*cos(theta). Now how do I go from here to get the angle it slips off? And what should the angle of rotation be?
Are you turning the table up?

Start by analysing the forces on the rod under static conditions:

[tex]F_{gravity} + F_{normal} + F_{friction} = 0[/tex]

The normal force is the trickiest because there is a torque about the edge of the table that has the effect of reducing the normal force on the part that is in contact with the table.

AM

schuksj said:

The force of friction is not mu*m*g*cos(theta). I took the normal force to be always perpendicular to the rod and the frictional force parallel to the rod. The frictional force is set equal to the component of gravity parallel to the rod [mgsin(theta)] plus the centripetal force required to keep the rod moving on a circular path. The rod slips when the frictional force reaches mu*N. The normal force is found from torque and angular acceleration considerations and finding the linear acceleration of the CM as the ratio [mgcos(theta) - N]/m. I also used conservation of energy before slipping. I found it convenient to work in terms of I_CM and I about the pivot point (I_CM + ma^2; parallel axis theorem) until the end.

Last edited:

1. How does a rod slide off a table?

A rod will slide off a table due to the force of gravity. As the center of mass of the rod is not supported by the table, gravity will cause the rod to fall towards the ground.

2. Why does a rod slide off a table?

A rod will slide off a table due to its lack of support. Without anything holding it in place, the force of gravity will cause the rod to move towards the ground.

3. Can a rod slide off a table if it is perfectly balanced?

No, if a rod is perfectly balanced on a table, the force of gravity will be evenly distributed and the rod will not slide off. However, if the balance is disrupted, the rod may slide off.

4. What factors can affect a rod sliding off a table?

The main factor that affects a rod sliding off a table is the force of gravity. Other factors such as the angle of the table, the surface of the table, and any external forces acting on the rod can also play a role.

5. How can you prevent a rod from sliding off a table?

To prevent a rod from sliding off a table, you can add support to the center of mass of the rod, increase the friction between the rod and the table, or adjust the angle of the table to create a more stable balance for the rod.