Electrostatics: 3 balls on a string, calculate net forces.

Just follow Coulomb's law and use the correct signs, and you'll get the right answer.In summary, the problem involves three balls with equal displacements and different charges. The net force on the middle ball (Ball B) can be found by calculating the force between Ball A and Ball B, and between Ball B and Ball C using Coulomb's law. As for Ball C, the net force can be determined by adding the individual forces from Ball A and Ball B. The presence or absence of an extra force on the right does not affect the problem, as long as the correct signs are used.
pugfug90

Homework Statement

3 balls are on a ?string?/line?. Each are equally displaced, 72cm. Ball A has a charge of -50e5c, Ball B a charge of +25e2, Ball C -10e10.
1. What is the net force applied on the middle ball (Ball B)?
2. Assuming a force to the right(ungiven name of Ball D?) (of Ball C) is positive, find the net force applied on Ball C..

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/d^2
k=9x10^9 n*m^2/c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

These are all theoretical values.. I know the basic structure of the problem, but totally guesstimating the values. With that said.. To try and get net force of Ball B..
I did
F(ab)=kq(a)q(b)/d^2
F(bc)=kq(b)q(c0/d^2
F(ab)+F(bc)=net force applied on Ball B.. I think that part was easy..
net force=-4.34x10^24, work on screenshot
physstanks.gif

===
Kind of lost for Part 2.. How do I find out the force for D? Or the charge of D? Or the distance (baby blue)?

On the test, what I think I did was add charges A+B, set equal to C+D, or A+B-C=D.. Then use that value of charge for D, assume 72cm (I want to know why I should assume), calculate force.. I don't think that's how it works though..
===
I thought up an interesting theory just now.. All charges (balls) have same net forces, but vary +/-..?
Here's another pic
physstanks2.gif

I forgot to draw it, but there's supposed to be a "blue vector equal to magenta vector".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did the problem actually state that there was a fourth ball? Or did you just assume that's what was meant? I'm guessing that part 2 was just to find the net force on ball C. (The stuff about to the right being positive--that's just so you use the correct sign convention.)

Problem did not say 4th ball (I assumed so because there was a positive "force" to right of Ball C)

PS, my 1st question, answered, love this forums.
Loving to see that more people are willing to spend their time to help others. I may be inspired to be a good physics teacher :D

So Doc Al, I added a 3rd edit.. thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts? Get rid of ball D!

The force on ball C is just F(A on C) + F(B on C). Figure them out and add them up! (Since forces are vectors, directions--signs--matter.)

Umm..
Would that mean for net force of A, add Force(charge of A+C)+Force(charge a+b)?

With Ball B, I supposed that I used the one on the left and the one on the right..

Or am I not looking at it from the right perspective?

How would this problem be different if there was no force on the right?

pugfug90 said:
Umm..
Would that mean for net force of A, add Force(charge of A+C)+Force(charge a+b)?

With Ball B, I supposed that I used the one on the left and the one on the right..

Or am I not looking at it from the right perspective?
There are three balls. They exert electrostatic forces on each other. To find the net force on anyone (say ball A) add up the individual forces on that ball (A) from the other two (B & C). That means calculating the force that B exerts on A and the force that C exerts on A. (To find the individual forces between any two balls, use Coulomb's law.) Follow the same logic to find the net force on any of the balls.

How would this problem be different if there was no force on the right?
If I understand the problem correctly, there is no extra "force on the right"--that's just your misinterpretation of the instructions to use positive numbers to represent a force to the right (and negative numbers for forces to the left).

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest and their interactions.

2. What is the setup of "3 balls on a string" in electrostatics?

In this setup, three identical conducting balls are suspended on a non-conducting string. The balls are charged with equal and opposite charges.

3. How do you calculate the net forces in this setup?

The net force on each ball can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. What factors affect the net forces in this setup?

The net forces in this setup are affected by the charges on the balls, the distance between them, and the dielectric constant of the medium between them. Other factors such as the size and shape of the balls may also have an impact.

5. Can the net forces on the balls ever be zero in this setup?

Yes, if the charges on the balls are arranged in such a way that the forces cancel each other out, the net force on each ball can be zero. This may occur when the charges on the balls have certain specific values, such as in the case of an electrically neutral system.