Unit of the Determinant of a 2-space Matrix

In summary, determinants of a 2-space matrix have a unit of [units]^2, and the area of a parallelogram has units of "u2".
Hendrick
Do determinants of a 2-space matrix have a unit of [units]^2?
Also, does A_parallelogram = || u x v|| have a unit of [units]^2 too?
This has confused me as Area has a unit of [units]^ 2 but the examples from the Contemporary Linear Algebra (Anton and Busby) textbook does not state any units at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
The area of a parallelogram has units of "u2" where u is whatever unit is being used to measure area. That is a specific application of norm and does NOT say that norm of the cross product of a vector has any units at all! Are you assuming that there is some form of "measurement" so that the vectors in whatever vector space you are talking about have a specific unit? And that raises the question, are you thinking of some specific vector space?

HallsofIvy said:
The area of a parallelogram has units of "u2" where u is whatever unit is being used to measure area. That is a specific application of norm and does NOT say that norm of the cross product of a vector has any units at all! Are you assuming that there is some form of "measurement" so that the vectors in whatever vector space you are talking about have a specific unit? And that raises the question, are you thinking of some specific vector space?

Well, yeah. Finding the area of a unit square 'ABCD' that is represented by a 2x4 M matrix =
[ 0 1 1 0 ]
[ 1 1 0 0 ]
which has been multiplied by a 2x2 matrix N =
[ -2 0 ]
[ 0 -2 ]

I had to calculate the area of N.M and the determinant of the N matrix.
And I was just wondering since it's the area (found by Aparallelogram = || u x v||) do I just write [units]^2?
Also since I'm meant to find out that the determinant is the area of the parallelogram, should I write [units]^2 or leave it blank?

-- So there is an application of the norm of the cross product of two adjacent vectors in 2-space (Aparallelogram = || u x v||), in this situation should I put [units]^2 in the answer? I deduce that I'm not meant to know about det(N) being the area of N.M so I guess I won't write any units for that.

Last edited:
What units are you told the length is measured in? If you are not given any measurements for a length, then I would not write any units for the area.

HallsofIvy said:
What units are you told the length is measured in? If you are not given any measurements for a length, then I would not write any units for the area.

No units, it just says calculate the area of N.M and calculate det(N).
I just want to cover my bases as it asked for area and I thought I should just put a unit of 'units^2' at the end...

What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical value that can be calculated from a square matrix. It represents certain properties of the matrix, such as its size and shape.

What is a 2-space matrix?

A 2-space matrix is a matrix with 2 rows and 2 columns. It is used to represent a transformation or a system of linear equations in two-dimensional space.

How is the unit of a determinant of a 2-space matrix determined?

The unit of a determinant of a 2-space matrix is determined by multiplying the elements in the first row by the elements in the second row, subtracting the product of the elements in the second row by the elements in the first row, and then dividing by the determinant of the matrix.

What is the significance of the unit of a determinant of a 2-space matrix?

The unit of a determinant of a 2-space matrix represents the area of the parallelogram formed by the two column vectors of the matrix. It can also be used to determine whether the matrix has an inverse and to solve systems of linear equations.

How is the unit of a determinant of a 2-space matrix calculated?

The unit of a determinant of a 2-space matrix can be calculated by taking the absolute value of the determinant and multiplying it by the appropriate units for the individual elements in the matrix.