Burning Salt Water: The Future of Fuel?

In summary, John Kanzius found a way to burn salt water, which has excited scientists. However, the process is not efficient and would only be useful as a desalinization method.
baywax said:
They serve alcohol at those places?! Do they distill it with microwaves?

you may be on (to) something!

-------------------------------

Chi Meson said:
The machine that creates the very specific frequencies of radio/microwaves is not in everyone's lab. You can't make one from a kitchen microwave, for example. I'm sure that several have been purchased recently. I'm guessing the machine would be, what.. about 10 to 20 thousand dollars?

yeah--but still (segue/segway to topic) some one has to have one laying around in their storage room 'waiting' to be used

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
baywax said:
Gertrude Stein, inventor of the cubist movement. "A rose is a rose is a rose is a rose".
That probably is a reference to the Shakespeare quote.

baywax said:
Have you ever been to a dance club? Aren't the sub-woofers putting out something similar to ELFs. People seem pretty attracted to those ;')
That's low frequency sound waves, not radio waves.

baywax said:
I've been lectured by Art Historians about how Gertrude's poem "a rose is a rose...etc" inspired the cubist movement.
Here is a site showing some cubist paintings by Picasso and others going back to 1907.
http://www.eyeconart.net/history/cubism.htm
The 'rose' line was written in 1913
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_is_a_rose_is_a_rose_is_a_rose

Even if your view of who invented cubism is correct, it is not commonly shared. I Googled for "stein invented cubism" with quotes included and got zero hits. Then I tried "picasso invented cubism" and got 139.

Last edited:
baywax said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_Stein

I've been lectured by Art Historians about how Gertrude's poem "a rose is a rose...etc" inspired the cubist movement.

Interesting conjecture. But I suspect that given Gerty owned a fair number of Paul Cezannes' works, it wouldn't have been too hard for her to appreciate and see the paring down technique that Paul had introduced into his latter paintings.

From that perspective, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Picasso having been invited on numerous occasions to dine with Gerty and Leo, may have found this a topic of discussion.

Sadly, the timelines are a little woolly, so who knows who ultimately influence who.

Cheers

Aquafire

Aquafire said:
Interesting conjecture. But I suspect that given Gerty owned a fair number of Paul Cezannes' works, it wouldn't have been too hard for her to appreciate and see the paring down technique that Paul had introduced into his latter paintings.

From that perspective, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Picasso having been invited on numerous occasions to dine with Gerty and Leo, may have found this a topic of discussion.

Sadly, the timelines are a little woolly, so who knows who ultimately influence who.

Cheers

Aquafire

Ultimately it was the invention of the telegraph, telephone and related communications devices. These innovations (at the turn of the 20th century) rendered the whole world accessable to people and the boundaries of time differnences began to fall. One of the art historian put it like this: when you could talk to Paris at 4pm from Maine and it was 2am in France this was so astounding to the intellects of the time that the idea of simultaneous events (regardless of distance) began to emerge. Thus, the cubists did their best to portray the simultaneity of all events in their work. The results were varied but you may have heard of Marcel Du Champs' "Nude Descending The Staircase", a cubist work, and the criticisms that came from the American camps calling it "an explosion in a shingle factory".

Last edited:
baywax said:
The results were varied but you may have heard of Marcel Du Champs' "Nude Descending The Staircase", a cubist work, and the criticisms that came from the American camps calling it "an explosion in a shingle factory".
And from other cubists for various reasons. It explodes in Phila, a few miles from me.

jimmysnyder said:
And from other cubists for various reasons. It explodes in Phila, a few miles from me.

I hadn't thought about other cubists bashing other cubists... typical...

sort of like high frequency radio waves bashing salt water... tumultuous.

----warning---- Amateur post. Probably not worth reading. -----warning-----

How about a long tubing filled with water. The inside of the tubing would be made of a material to reflect radiowaves so that they continue passing through the water. Make the tubing long enough so that the radiowaves eventually become "spent". Would this be efficient? Or at least more efficient than electrolysis?

You are proposing a resonant tube. Such a tube would select a single specific wavelength of the microwaves that are produced. It would not be necessary anyway, since water is very good at absorbing microwaves in the first place

Welcome to the club Chi, have you been shown the secret handshake yet?

I was in gold before, a while back, then my "contribution" ran out. The only reason I didn't re-contribute was due to an irrational mistrust of Paypal. I think the handshake has changed, though...I'm getting funny looks.