Online Solder Iron Shopping: What You Need to Know

• Thread starter |)a\/1d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary, there are several options for purchasing a soldering iron, including local electronics stores like Radio Shack and online retailers such as Digikey, Jameco, and Metcal. It is recommended to get a unit with a stand and sponge holder, and to set up a fan to pull away solder smoke while working. It is also important to avoid inhaling lead-laced smoke. Some places may also offer lead-free solders.
|)a\/1d
Does anyone know a online store I can purchase a solder iron from? i need one at my house and my schools not letting me take one home. How much are they anyway?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Your local electronics store (Radio Shack, whatever) will have one as cheap as 10 bucks.

Digikey: http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=1310841;keywords=soldering iron

Jameco: http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...1&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&categoryId=602040

Metcal: http://www.metcal.com/

Digikey and Jameco have basic units and moderately nice units. I'd recommend getting something with a stand and a sponge holder at least. If you do a lot of soldering, the Metcal unit is awesome. It uses RF heating and feedback to keep the tip hot and steady in temperature, even with a widely varying load (like soldering small stuff and then something big...that's hard to do with a standard Curie-point regulated tip like the cheaper irons.

BTW, you should consider setting up a fan of some sort to pull the solder smoke away from you. Solder smoke is not good for your lungs. At work, our rework solder stations are in front of a hood exhaust setup to pull the smoke away from the operators.

berkeman said:
BTW, you should consider setting up a fan of some sort to pull the solder smoke away from you. Solder smoke is not good for your lungs. At work, our rework solder stations are in front of a hood exhaust setup to pull the smoke away from the operators.

I do a little surface mount soldering and the circuit is under a microscope away from my nose. But I have met a technician that said at his previous job he got lead poisoning from soldering. So be safe!

Way back in the olden days, I just got in the habit of blowing gently while I soldered, to keep the solder smoke out of my face. Then later, I got this small fan unit to put behind what I was soldering, to pull the solder smoke away from me:

http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_493.html

And now we have the exhaust hood where I work now. Yeah, avoid that lead-laced smoke however you can. I don't know about the "lead poisoning" that the tech is complaining about, but lung cancer and other bad things can happen if you don't avoid inhaling lots os solder smoke, IMO.

radio shack is the best place to get them. 15-20watts for like 7.99. and no shipping like for the online stores.

In Canada they have decent soldering kits and irons in Source. They have all sorts of electronics components and tools too.

1. What is an online solder iron?

An online solder iron is a tool used for soldering, which is the process of joining two pieces of metal together by melting a filler metal between them. The online aspect refers to the fact that it can be purchased through online shopping platforms.

2. What should I look for when buying an online solder iron?

When buying an online solder iron, there are a few key factors to consider. These include the type of solder iron (pencil, gun, or station), wattage, temperature control, and additional features such as a stand or interchangeable tips. It's also important to read reviews and compare prices from different sellers.

3. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using an online solder iron?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when using any tool, including an online solder iron. It is important to wear protective gear, such as safety glasses and heat-resistant gloves, to prevent burns and protect your eyes. It's also important to make sure the solder iron is unplugged when not in use and to never touch the tip while it is hot.

4. Can I use an online solder iron for any type of soldering project?

The type of solder iron you need will depend on the type of project you are working on. A pencil solder iron is best for smaller, more intricate projects, while a gun or station solder iron is better for larger projects. Additionally, the type of solder you use may vary depending on the materials you are working with.

5. Is online solder iron shopping reliable?

Online solder iron shopping can be reliable if you take the necessary precautions. It's important to read reviews and purchase from a reputable seller. It's also a good idea to check the return policy and warranty information before making a purchase. If you have any concerns, it's best to contact the seller directly for clarification before making a purchase.