Impact of Poincaré conjecture on mathematics?

In summary, the Poincaré conjecture, which was put forward by Henri Poincaré in the early 1900's, was proven in 2006 and considered one of the most important things to prove for the millennium. It is a theorem about the characterization of the 3D sphere among 3D manifolds and was one of the Clay Mathematics Institute Millennium problems with a reward of $1,000,000. The proof of this conjecture has implications for topology and could potentially lead to new mathematics like quantum cohomology. It also has applications in physics, particularly in relation to black holes and the big bang. However, it may take some time for these ramifications to fully emerge.
kurt.physics
In 2006, the mathematically rigorous proof of the Poincaré conjecture was completely excepted. The Poincaré conjecture was put forward by Henri Poincaré in the early 1900's. It is a theorem about the characterization of the 3D sphere amongst 3D manifolds. It was considered one of the most important things to prove for the millennium. And thus it was one of the clay mathematics institute Millennium problems, they would reward $1,000,000 to the person(s) who give a proof/disproof of the problem, there is 7 problems and in total $7,000,000 dollars up for grabs!

Generally the Poincaré conjecture is revolved around Topology, which deals with spaces. Apparently the Poincaré conjecture fixes up singularities in the dimensions e.t.c.

My question is, what are all the ramifications for the solution of the Poincaré conjecture, i.e. does it give proof or rise to new mathematics like quantum cohomology (Apparently, one of the other problems, call the Yang-mills existence and mass gap gives rise to Quantum cohomology, but Yang-mills theory has to have a mathematically rigorous background before quantum cohomology can be taken seriously)?

Also, What are the physical implication of the proof of Poincaré conjecture i.e. as i mentioned previously, this proof fixes the singularities in topology, so topologically speaking, what are the ramifications for black holes and the big bang?

All you well educated opinions are well appreciated, as i am just a layman

Mathematics news on Phys.org
So you are asking about applications to physics, not mathematics? You might do better asking in the physics forum.

i have not kept up with the work on the poincare problem, but in general i suspect it takes a while for the mathematical ramifications of a great proof to arise. often the ramifications in mathematics arise from further applications of the ideas that came into being to solve the problem.

What is the Poincaré conjecture?

The Poincaré conjecture is a mathematical problem posed in the late 19th century by French mathematician Henri Poincaré. It states that any closed, simply-connected 3-dimensional manifold is topologically equivalent to a 3-sphere, which is a three-dimensional shape analogous to a sphere.

How was the Poincaré conjecture solved?

The Poincaré conjecture was solved by Russian mathematician Grigori Perelman in 2002-2003. He used a combination of techniques from topology, geometry, and analysis to prove the conjecture.

What impact did the solution of the Poincaré conjecture have on mathematics?

The solution of the Poincaré conjecture had a major impact on mathematics, particularly in the fields of topology and geometry. It provided a better understanding of the structure of 3-dimensional spaces and opened up new avenues for research in these areas.

How did the solution of the Poincaré conjecture affect other areas of science?

The solution of the Poincaré conjecture also had a significant impact on other areas of science, such as physics and computer science. It has been used to develop new theories and models in these fields, and has also been applied to problems in areas such as cosmology and data analysis.

Are there any unresolved questions related to the Poincaré conjecture?

Although the Poincaré conjecture has been solved, there are still many related questions and problems that remain unsolved. These include generalizations and extensions of the conjecture, as well as its applications to other areas of mathematics and science. Further research in these areas is ongoing.