Calculating Speed of Cart at Positions 1, 2, and 3

In summary, a cart starting at position 4 with a velocity of 13 m/s to the left reaches positions 1, 2, and 3 with a speed of 13 m/s, 9.2 m/s, and 5.4 m/s respectively, neglecting friction. The total energy at each position remains constant, and can be calculated by adding the kinetic energy (1/2 * mass * velocity squared) and potential energy (mass * gravitational constant * height).
Jtappan

Homework Statement

A cart starts from position 4 in the figure below with a velocity of 13 m/s to the left. Find the speed with which the cart reaches positions 1, 2, and 3. Neglect friction.
fig-030.gif

speed at position 1 ___ m/s
speed at position 2 ___ m/s
speed at position 3 ___ m/s

Homework Equations

E_tot1 = E_tot2 = E_tot3 = E_tot4

The total energy is kinetic energy plus potential energy
E_tot = E_kin + E_pot

E_pot = m * g * h
with m the mass of the cart, g the gravitational constant of Earth (g=9.81m/s^2) and h the height.

E_kin = 1/2 * m * v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to do this problem and I cannot figure out how to solve for any of them if I am not given the mass of the cart.

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't need the mass, since it will be common to each term and you will be able to cancel it out.

Assuming that the mass is not given, we cannot calculate the speed at any of the positions. In order to calculate the speed at each position, we need to know the total energy at each position, which in turn requires us to know the mass of the cart. Additionally, the given information only tells us the initial velocity at position 4 and does not provide any information on how the cart moves from position 4 to the other positions. Therefore, without more information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the speed at positions 1, 2, and 3.

What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for calculating speed is distance divided by time (s = d/t).

What units are used to measure speed?

The most common units used to measure speed are meters per second (m/s) and kilometers per hour (km/h).

How do I calculate the speed of a cart at different positions?

To calculate the speed of a cart at different positions, you will need to measure the distance traveled by the cart at each position and the time it took to travel that distance. Then, plug those values into the speed formula (s = d/t) to get the speed at each position.

Can I calculate the speed of a cart without knowing the time it took?

No, the time taken to travel a certain distance is a crucial component in calculating speed. Without knowing the time, you cannot accurately calculate the speed of the cart.

Is the speed of a cart at different positions always the same?

No, the speed of a cart can vary at different positions depending on factors such as friction, acceleration, and direction of motion.