Solving a System of Equations with MATLAB

In summary, to input a system of equations into MATLAB, use the "syms" function to define variables and the "solve" function to solve. You can solve a system with any number of variables by defining them with "syms" and using the appropriate number of equations with "solve". To check the solution, use the "subs" function to substitute values and see if they satisfy the equations. Graphing the solutions can be done with "ezplot" or "plot" functions. To solve a system with complex numbers, use the built-in functions and represent the imaginary unit with "i".
sara_87
i have two equations and 2 unknowns.
i have to represent this system of equations in a matrix form and then solve it...how do i do that on matlab?

Physics news on Phys.org
AX= B is your format. so X= inv(A)B

That should help.

To solve a system of equations with MATLAB, you can use the "solve" function. This function takes in two arguments: a vector of equations and a vector of unknown variables.

For example, if your system of equations is:
2x + 3y = 8
4x - 5y = -2

You can represent it in a matrix form as:
[2 3; 4 -5] * [x; y] = [8; -2]

Then, in MATLAB, you can define the equations as a vector:
eqns = [2*x + 3*y == 8, 4*x - 5*y == -2]

Next, define the unknown variables as a vector:
vars = [x, y]

Finally, use the "solve" function to solve for the unknown variables:
sol = solve(eqns, vars)

The output will be a structure with the values of x and y that satisfy both equations. You can access these values by using dot notation, for example:
sol.x
sol.y

Alternatively, you can also use the "linsolve" function in MATLAB to solve a system of linear equations represented in matrix form. This function takes in the coefficient matrix and the constant vector as arguments. For the example above, you can use it as:
A = [2 3; 4 -5]
b = [8; -2]
sol = linsolve(A, b)

The output will be a vector with the values of x and y that satisfy the equations.

Overall, MATLAB provides multiple functions to solve a system of equations, and it is important to understand the underlying concepts and choose the appropriate function based on your specific problem.

1. How do I input a system of equations into MATLAB?

In order to input a system of equations into MATLAB, you can use the "syms" function to define the variables, and then use the "solve" function to solve the system. For example, if you have the equations x + 2y = 5 and 3x + 4y = 10, you can input them as "syms x y" and then use "solve(x + 2y == 5, 3x + 4y == 10)" to solve the system.

2. Can I solve a system of equations with more than two variables in MATLAB?

Yes, you can solve a system of equations with any number of variables in MATLAB. You just need to define all the variables using the "syms" function and then use the "solve" function with the appropriate number of equations.

3. How do I check the solution to a system of equations in MATLAB?

To check the solution to a system of equations in MATLAB, you can use the "subs" function. This function allows you to substitute the solution values into the original equations and see if they satisfy the equations. For example, if the solution to the system x + y = 5 and 2x + 3y = 10 is x = 2 and y = 3, you can use "subs(x + y == 5, x = 2, y = 3)" and "subs(2x + 3y == 10, x = 2, y = 3)" to check if the solution is correct.

4. Can I graph the solutions to a system of equations in MATLAB?

Yes, you can graph the solutions to a system of equations in MATLAB by using the "ezplot" function. This function allows you to graph the equations and see where they intersect, which is the solution to the system. You can also use the "plot" function to graph the equations separately and see where they intersect.

5. How can I use MATLAB to solve a system of equations with complex numbers?

MATLAB has built-in functions for dealing with complex numbers, so you can use these functions to solve a system of equations with complex numbers. For example, you can use "syms x y" to define the variables and then use "solve(x + i*y == 2, x - i*y == 5)" to solve the system, where "i" represents the imaginary unit.