Dark Green Blood In The Operating Theatre

• Medical
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blood Green
In summary: This Case Report discusses an unusual case of a man who produced green blood when undergoing a surgery. The man had no known medical conditions and the cause of the green blood was unknown. The authors suggest that the green blood may be caused by the incorporation of a sulphur atom into the oxygen-carrying haemoglobin protein.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The unusual case of a man who produced green blood when undergoing a operation is analysed in a Case Report in this week's edition of The Lancet.

Dr Stephan Schwarz and Dr Alana Flexman, Department of Anaesthesia, St Paul's Hospital, The University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada and colleagues performed the operation and authored the Case Report. [continued]
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/73473.php

Biology news on Phys.org
Wow, that must be very scary, as being the operator. Watching green blood instead of a healthy red is enough to make anyone think twice before continuing.

Interesting case, thanks!.

While it is a bit shocking, a hundred years ago people took sulpher as a common cure for several ailments, so green blood has been around for a while. We just are not use to seeing today.
Green blood occurs when a sulphur atom gets incorporated into the oxygen-carrying haemoglobin protein of blood.

I thought the only other metal moeity in hemoglobin was copper in the Mollusca... You know - octopus, squid, clams, etc. Interesting.

He's one of the crab people!

I looked for some reference to a dye being injected that was green in color but did not see such. The sulfur angle is another interesting result of body chemistry.

If we get copper instead, wouldn't our blood turn blue?

Blue blood > Green blood.

The dark blue blood you are thinking of is because of the protein haemocyanin which is the oxygen carrier in the blood of most molluscs. Its actually colourless when deoxygenated. I'm not sure if there is anything that has naturally green blood.

I wish I would get a sample of sulfhemoglobin in the lab...that would be neat to see.

Of course the guy could have just been a Vulcan.

If I remember correctly, Spiders naturally have blue blood due to having sulphur instead of iron in the haem group.

Green blood, can't think of any, besides the Statue of Liberty, who is turning greener and greener by the moment.

1. What causes dark green blood in the operating theatre?

Dark green blood in the operating theatre is usually a result of using methylene blue dye during surgery. This dye is commonly used to help visualize blood vessels and other structures during procedures. When the dye mixes with the patient's blood, it can create a dark green color.

2. Is dark green blood dangerous for the patient?

No, dark green blood does not pose any immediate danger to the patient. The color is simply a result of the dye used during surgery and does not affect the function or quality of the blood.

3. How long does it take for the dark green color to disappear?

The dark green color usually disappears within a few hours after surgery. This is because the dye is metabolized and excreted by the body over time. In some cases, it may take up to 24 hours for the color to fully disappear.

4. Can dark green blood affect the accuracy of lab tests?

Yes, dark green blood can potentially affect the accuracy of lab tests. This is because the dye can interfere with the color or appearance of certain blood components, making it difficult for lab technicians to accurately analyze the sample. It is important to inform the lab if the patient has had surgery involving methylene blue dye.

5. Are there any risks associated with using methylene blue dye?

While methylene blue dye is generally considered safe, there are some potential risks associated with its use. These include allergic reactions, skin irritation, and interference with lab tests. It is important for the surgical team to carefully monitor the patient for any adverse reactions during and after the surgery.

Back