SU(3) symmetry and simple zeros of w. f.

In summary, the fact that radial wave function has only the simple zeros automatically excludes the existence of SU(3) symmetry for given quantum system.
stel
Can someone help me? It is correct at all to make the conection between the SU(3) symmetry and zeros of (radial) wave function? To make more clear: can I say that the fact that radial wave function has only the simple zeros automatically excludes the existence of SU(3) symmetry for given quantum system? Please, answer me soon, it is very important to me.
Thanks in advance
stel

Physics news on Phys.org
SU(3) of what, exactly? Usually when talking about symmetries we say something like "SU(3) of color" or "SU(3) of flavor". SU(3) by itself is just a mathematical group. It's only when you use it to describe something physical that a quantum system can be said to "have" that symmetry.

Tom Mattson said:
SU(3) of what, exactly? Usually when talking about symmetries we say something like "SU(3) of color" or "SU(3) of flavor". SU(3) by itself is just a mathematical group. It's only when you use it to describe something physical that a quantum system can be said to "have" that symmetry.

Obviously I had to be more specific. Well, I will write something about the ‘history’ of the problem that delivers my question. You probably heard of the ‘particle in the box’ model or ‘spatially confined system’ model with applications in many diverse fields of physics: atomic and molecular, solid state, astrophysics … An example is the hydrogen atom placed in the center of the sphere with impenetrable walls (also called ‘compressed atom’ model and introduced in the physics to explain the pressure effect on the H atom spectrum). Those systems have interesting eigenspectrum properties. It is obviously that the degeneracy of their energy levels will be changed in comparison with the analogous unconfined (or free, or, as someone says, standard) quantum systems as a consequence of the different symmetry their Hamiltonians posses (or ‘have’ as you say). Thus, the symmetry group of the confined H atom is SO(3) group in contrast to SO(4) group of the unconfined H atom, and Coulomb degeneracy, characteristic of that last system energy levels, is removed. But, when the radius of the confining sphere has a specific value (l+1)(l+2) (here l is orbital quantum number), hidden or conditional symmetry appears (there is a couple references about it where the symmetry group of that system is not explicitly named) and, of course, specific degeneracy (states with orbital quantum numbers l and l+2 have the same energy). What is going to happen when, instead of H atom, three-dimensional isotropic harmonic oscillator (3D IHO) is centrally enclosed in the sphere with impenetrable walls? My intention was to see how the spatial confinement change the degeneracy of the energy levels of the 3D IHO, i. e. to establish if confined 3D harmonic oscillator has some kind of symmetry, higher than obvious SO(3) symmetry and that is the moment when one of the colleagues enters the story. He claims that I cannot get anything and prove anything applying the generators of the SU(3) group, symmetry group for unconfined 3D IHO (similar procedure was done for confined H atom with the generators of SO(4) group in the references I have already mentioned) on the wave function of the confined 3D harmonic oscillator state ‘due to the well-known fact that the zeros of Schroedinger wave functions are simple’ (means, of the radial wave functions as the functions in radial coordinate). I could not agree with him and accept that usefulness of the SU(3) group is connected with the fact that the zeros of the radial wave functions are not simple. By the way, I do not know if there is some quantum system with that property. Moreover, the radial wave functions of the unconfined 3D IHO states have the simple zeros (except the zero in the origin, but the same is valid for confined HO) and this system have SU(3) symmetry and corresponding degeneracy of its energy levels! In my opinion symmetry of the system is determined by the existence of the operators commuting with Hamiltonian and the commutator values among those operators specify the symmetry group. But me and the colleague still stand on our standpoints each. Who is right?

stel

1. What is SU(3) symmetry?

SU(3) symmetry is a concept in particle physics that describes the symmetry between different quarks and their interactions. It is a mathematical representation of the strong nuclear force and is an important aspect of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How does SU(3) symmetry relate to simple zeros of wave functions?

SU(3) symmetry plays a role in determining the shape and structure of wave functions in particles, specifically in the location and behavior of their simple zeros. This helps to explain the symmetries observed in particle interactions and the patterns of decay.

3. What are simple zeros of wave functions?

Simple zeros of wave functions refer to the points at which the wave function of a particle reaches zero without changing sign. These points are important for determining the symmetries and properties of the particle, and can also provide information on the particle's spin and angular momentum.

4. Why are simple zeros of wave functions important in particle physics?

Simple zeros of wave functions provide crucial information about the structure and symmetries of particles, which can help to explain their behavior and interactions. They also play a role in theoretical models and predictions, and can be used to test the validity of these models.

5. How is SU(3) symmetry related to the strong nuclear force?

SU(3) symmetry is a mathematical representation of the strong nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. This symmetry helps to explain the behavior of quarks and their interactions, which are responsible for the strong nuclear force.