Preparing for G.E.D: Math & Science Help Needed

• Studying
  • Thread starter MalConstant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, the conversation is about a person who dropped out of school due to emotional issues but is now considering getting a G.E.D after therapy and medication. They are seeking help for the mathematics portion of the test, as they were a slacker in high school and struggle with basic math concepts. The other person advises them to not cram for the test, but instead attend classes or hire a tutor to build their conceptual knowledge and skills in basic math, algebra, and geometry. They also share their own experience of finding math easier to understand as an adult. The person seeking help expresses interest in physics and hopes to pursue it as a degree in the future. They plan on checking out classes and ask for book recommendations.
MalConstant
Hello,

I dropped out of grade ten three years ago due to emotional issues, coping with depression. Now, thanks to time in therapy and light medication, I have much of my depression under control. But that is not the point, since I've dropped out of school, my friends have been urging me to continue my education since. For the past several months, I've been thinking about getting a G.E.D and after heavy thought, I finally registered to take the tests this June and I am looking forward to it. The tests are separated into five different subjects which are;

Langauge Arts, English
Social Studies
Science (biology, chemistry, etc).
Langauge Arts, reading and comprehension

and finally, mathematics.

This is where I am seeking help. Through out much of high school, I was a slacker and a day dreamer. I rarely paid attention in class and the only way I was able to pass my courses was I would cram several nights of heavy studying before the final work load and tests. Now let's fast-forward three years later to now. I have all the supplies and study books I need to help me prepare for the G.E.D tests and I don't think I'll have much problems with the first four courses I listed, but math will be a problem. Last time I checked, I'm only capable of doing basic multiplication and division! I am a doofus in this field. :frown:

The mathematics area on these tests will test my ability in geometry and algebra, among other things and the science portion of the tests has a small area to test my skills in basic physics. My question, how can I cram such knowledge into a four month time-line?

As I've mentioned before, I am almost certain I will fly through the language arts, social studies and parts of the science portion of the tests with much ease but it's the mathematics portion that's going to throw me off, so any help at all will be greatly, greatly appreciated. :)

Edit: also, this will be the Canadian edition of the G.E.D and I'm not sure if that's any different then the American edition but I figured I'll just mention this any way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not try to CRAM for the Mathematics tests. Build up your conceptual knowledge and skills for Basic Math, Algebra(just basic level) and common elementary Geometry. A good basic strategy would be to attend some community school such as adult school or community college for a course on Basic Math (or whatever it is called in Canada), and then 1 semester of Introductory Algebra. That all might take from 10 months to a year, but if you study daily and thoroughly, you SHOULD HAVE NO TROUBLE on the Mathematics tests of the GED set of tests.

symbolipoint said:
Do not try to CRAM for the Mathematics tests. Build up your conceptual knowledge and skills for Basic Math, Algebra(just basic level) and common elementary Geometry. A good basic strategy would be to attend some community school such as adult school or community college for a course on Basic Math (or whatever it is called in Canada), and then 1 semester of Introductory Algebra. That all might take from 10 months to a year, but if you study daily and thoroughly, you SHOULD HAVE NO TROUBLE on the Mathematics tests of the GED set of tests.

Thank you for your input. I have considered taking a course or maybe just hiring a tutor, so I'll be looking into that soon. Also, I do understand that "cramming" so much information will be a hefty chore but the director of these tests assures me that at least four months is manageable to learn what is necessary for the G.E.D tests.

I dropped out of school at a very young age as well. When I was about 18 or 19, I reconsidered...and decided that that was a bad idea. I started taking classes at a community college.

Well, to my amazement, the math that used to bewilder me was suddenly easy...and enjoyable, to boot. I think my brain wasn't mature enough to understand math when I was young. Don't be surprised if you find it's much easier for you now.

Taking a class is a really, really good idea, I think.

lisab said:
I dropped out of school at a very young age as well. When I was about 18 or 19, I reconsidered...and decided that that was a bad idea. I started taking classes at a community college.

Well, to my amazement, the math that used to bewilder me was suddenly easy...and enjoyable, to boot. I think my brain wasn't mature enough to understand math when I was young. Don't be surprised if you find it's much easier for you now.

Taking a class is a really, really good idea, I think.

Yeah, through out much of my life I had this phobia of mathematics. The instant my mind sees an equation or any sort of string of numbers, it'll instantly blank out. Hopefully, I can get this under control, which will then make my whole ordeal much easier. Until recently, anything related to physics would've bored me to tears, but since last summer, after reading "A Brief History Of Time" by Stephen Hawking, I've been becoming gradually more and more interested in this field. But learning about physics and not knowing the mathematics behind it is like playing chess without knowing how the pieces move. Also, that's partially the reason why I wish to pursue a G.E.D so maybe one day, I will be able to pursue this as a degree, possibly. I know that is a bit of a long shot but.. I'm just sort of typing "out loud" here. ;)

Some time tomorrow, I'll be checking out what classes are available to me so that I can update my knowledge of mathematics. Also, is there any particular book I may find useful to help me guide me through this? Any recommendations will be appreciated.

1. What is the G.E.D?

The General Educational Development (G.E.D) test is a high school equivalency exam for individuals who did not complete a traditional high school education. It measures proficiency in four subject areas: math, science, social studies, and language arts.

2. How do I prepare for the G.E.D math and science sections?

The key to preparing for the G.E.D math and science sections is practice. Start by reviewing the concepts and skills that will be tested. Then, complete practice questions and tests to identify areas where you need additional help. Consider enrolling in a G.E.D prep course or using online resources to further improve your skills.

3. What are the most challenging topics in the G.E.D math and science sections?

The most challenging topics in the G.E.D math section are algebra, geometry, and data analysis. In the science section, students often struggle with understanding scientific concepts and interpreting data. It is important to focus on these areas during your preparation.

4. Are there any tips for taking the G.E.D math and science sections?

When taking the G.E.D math and science sections, it is crucial to manage your time effectively. Make sure to read and understand each question, and use scratch paper to work out problems. Also, pay attention to units and make sure to show all work to receive partial credit.

5. How many times can I take the G.E.D?

You can take the G.E.D test up to three times in a calendar year. If you do not pass, there is a 60-day waiting period before you can retake the test. However, it is recommended to thoroughly prepare and only take the test when you feel confident and ready to succeed.