Vector Cross Product Formula in Spherical & Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation is about the vector cross product formula in spherical and cylindrical coordinates. The person is asking for help in finding the formula and mentions that they have looked through math books but couldn't find it. Another person suggests using a similar determinant with different unit vectors.
astrosona
Hello all,

it might be funny! but i am stuck to it! what is the vector cross product formula in spherical and cylindrical coordinates?!

I know for Cartesian coordinate we have that nice looking determinant. but what about the other coordinates. I had looks to all the math books (like Botckov, Arfken ,...) that i knew but i couldn't find it. all i had found was for curl of vectors in different coordinates.

I appreciate your help in advance,
sona

Physics news on Phys.org
The same type of determinant works with r, theta, phi unit vectors.

1. What is the vector cross product formula in spherical coordinates?

The vector cross product formula in spherical coordinates is a mathematical representation of the cross product operation between two vectors in spherical coordinates. It is given by the following formula:

2. How is the vector cross product formula derived in spherical coordinates?

The vector cross product formula in spherical coordinates can be derived by using the cross product operation in Cartesian coordinates and converting the basis vectors to spherical coordinates using the following equations:

3. What is the vector cross product formula in cylindrical coordinates?

The vector cross product formula in cylindrical coordinates is given by the following formula:

4. How is the vector cross product formula derived in cylindrical coordinates?

The vector cross product formula in cylindrical coordinates can be derived in a similar manner as in spherical coordinates, but using the conversion equations for cylindrical basis vectors: