Modify computer inverter to accept power from house inverter

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with a computer restarting during power outages when connected to a house UPS. The problem is caused by the house UPS being of the stand by type and not generating a pure sine wave, confusing the computer UPS. The solution suggested is to either invest in a more expensive pure sine wave UPS for the whole house or to use a separate inverter for the computer connected to the house UPS. However, this may result in not receiving a warning when the backup power is running low.
gotchanisa
I have a UPS at home - for the whole house. However, everytime there is a power outage, my computer restarts. It does not restart when the power comes back! I had an old computer UPS that I had that I connected to the computer. Now when the power goes, the computer does not restart - but the computer UPS does not 'recognize' the power coming from the main House UPS. So instead of a 5 hr back up - that the house UPS gives me, I only have the 15 min back up that the computer UPS can give me. I have talked to UPS manufacturers who say they need to fit a 'filter' which will solve the problem - but they were not able to make it. They said something about a pure sine wave output- not sure if I understood. Anyone have a cost effective solution that will make my computer inverter 'recognize' the power coming from my main inverter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like the house UPS is of the stand by type rather than a double conversion type. In the event of a power outage a stand by type switches on its inverter and switches the load from the mains to the inverter. This isn't seamless so the computer crashes. If it was a double conversion type the inverter would be running constantly so change over would be seamless but there would be constant power loss in the inverter making it more expensive to run.

It also sounds like the house inverter only generates a crude approximation to a sine wave and that is confusing the computer UPS into thinking the input is too noisy to use. The vendor is saying that an inverter that generates a pure sine wave might not confuse the computer UPS.

I'm not sure what to recommend. A pure sine wave UPS capable of powering the whole house might be too expensive.

One possibility might be to buy an inverter rated for just the computer and connect it to the big battery in the house UPS. This inverter would run all the time so no issue when the power goes out. The only problem I see is that you might/wont get any warning when the 5 hours are up. You would have to rely on any warning the house UPS gives you.

1. What is a computer inverter?

A computer inverter is a device that converts direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC) in order to power electronic devices such as laptops or desktop computers. It is typically found in cars or RVs to power devices while on the go.

2. Why would I want to modify a computer inverter to accept power from a house inverter?

This modification would allow you to power your computer using a larger power source, such as a house inverter, which can handle higher wattages than a car inverter. This could be useful in situations where you need to power multiple devices or during power outages.

3. Can any computer inverter be modified to accept power from a house inverter?

Not all computer inverters are designed to be modified to accept power from a house inverter. It is important to check the specifications and capabilities of your specific inverter before attempting any modifications.

4. What materials are needed to modify a computer inverter to accept power from a house inverter?

The materials needed may vary depending on the type and model of your inverter, but generally you will need a house inverter, a voltage regulator, and some basic electrical tools such as wire cutters and soldering equipment.

5. Is it safe to modify a computer inverter to accept power from a house inverter?

Modifying an inverter can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. It is important to have a good understanding of electrical systems and to follow safety guidelines while working with electricity. If you are unsure, it is recommended to consult a professional or purchase an inverter that is already designed to accept power from a house inverter.