Optimization/Related Rates ( )

• Thread starter asdfsystema
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about optimization and related rates. The participants discuss various problems involving finding the minimal average cost, solving for different variables, and finding rates of change. The conversation also includes a step by step explanation for solving one of the problems.
asdfsystema
Optimization/Related Rates (URGENT) !

291fjig.jpg

2n8zwj8.jpg

Please take a look. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org

Average cost is C(x)/x.

yeah. i did do that already ...

orig equation =25600 +300x+x^2
avg cost= 25600/x +300 +x

to find the minimal avg cost , take derivative of avg cost equation and set it to 0.

... could you explain what i did wrong instead of just saying average cost is c(x)/x ? i already knew that

As far as your #4 goes you are totally on the right track. You have to look at what you solve for though. You solved for w = 1154.7. What you want is p.

asdfsystema said:
291fjig.jpg

2n8zwj8.jpg

Please take a look. Thanks a lot.
Hi Ken,
Here's #1. Let's leave the variables as they were in your formula A = 1/2 * b * h. You converted (counterintuitively) h to x and b to y. I would have done the opposite if I had to change, since y is usually vertical distance and x is usually horizontal distance. It didn't make your work wrong, but it makes it just a bit harder to think about this problem if you have to do some mental translation in addition to the calculus. At any rate, there's not any good reason to switch from b and h to x and y.

You're given dh/dt = 2.5 cm/sec and dA/dt (not dA/dx) = 4 cm^2/sec. You want to find db/dt at the instant that h = 11.5 cm and A = 99 cm^2. Before you substitute these values in, you need to solve for db/dt.

A = 1/2 * b * h
==> dA/dt = 1/2 (b*dh/dt + h * db/dt)

Solve the last equation for db/dt, and then substitute the values for h, dh/dt, A, and dA/dt.

For #2, you want the rate of change of A with respect to s, not with respect to time. IOW, you want dA/ds.

For #3, as mutton said, the average cost is C(x)/x. Find the equation of C(x)/x, and then take its derivative (with respect to x). Set this to zero and solve for x, the production level. For part e of this problem, evaluate C(x) for the production level you found in part d.

For #4, this is a calculus problem. You have p = 2l + 3w, and l = 2000000/w. Substitute l in the second equation into your p equation to get p as a function of w. Now find p'(w). Presumably (you should check) this will give you the minimum amount of fencing.

thanks i got all the answers except for 1)

so here's what i did:

dh/dt = 2.5 cm
h=11.5
dA/dt= 4cm
A= 99

and i need to find the rate of change of db/dt when h= 11.5

first i found out what the base would be so I plugged h=11.5 into A= 1/2bh and got b=17.2173913

Next I took dA/dt 1/2 (b*db/dt + h *dh/dt)

Is this correct? Next I plugged in all the known variables and isolated db/dt

db/dt= -1.2051767 ? but it is wrong ...

thanks again

asdfsystema said:
thanks i got all the answers except for 1)

so here's what i did:

dh/dt = 2.5 cm
h=11.5
dA/dt= 4cm
A= 99

and i need to find the rate of change of db/dt when h= 11.5

first i found out what the base would be so I plugged h=11.5 into A= 1/2bh and got b=17.2173913
So far, so good.
asdfsystema said:
Next I took dA/dt 1/2 (b*db/dt + h *dh/dt)

Is this correct? Next I plugged in all the known variables and isolated db/dt
No, the part in parentheses is wrong. Assuming that both b and h are differentiable functions of t, what do you get for d/dt(b*h) using the product rule?
asdfsystema said:
db/dt= -1.2051767 ? but it is wrong ...

thanks again
At the moment in time of interest, I get db/dt [tex]\approx[/tex] -3.047 cm/min, meaning that the base is decreasing in length.

1. What is optimization and why is it important in science?

Optimization is the process of finding the best solution to a problem or maximizing a desired outcome. In science, it is important because it allows us to find the most efficient or effective way to achieve a certain goal. It is especially useful in fields such as engineering, economics, and biology.

2. How is optimization related to calculus?

Optimization problems often involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a function. Calculus provides the tools necessary to analyze and solve these types of problems, such as finding critical points and using optimization techniques like the first and second derivative tests.

3. What is the difference between local and global optimization?

Local optimization refers to finding the best solution within a specific region or range, while global optimization involves finding the absolute best solution regardless of the range. In other words, local optimization focuses on finding a solution that is optimal within a given set of constraints, while global optimization aims to find the overall best solution.

4. How are related rates problems solved?

Related rates problems involve finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another, usually with the use of derivatives. The key to solving these problems is to identify which quantities are changing and how they are related, and then use the chain rule to find the rate of change in terms of the given rates.

5. Can you provide an example of an optimization or related rates problem?

An example of an optimization problem could be finding the dimensions of a rectangular box with a fixed volume that minimizes the surface area. A related rates problem could involve finding the rate at which the height of a cone is changing when the radius is increasing at a constant rate.