I underestimated the difficulty of Widder's Advanced Calculus

In summary, the person has taken two calculus courses and feels confident in their understanding of advanced concepts. However, they are struggling with a Linear Algebra + Ordinary Differential Equations course and wonder if they need to review their calculus knowledge. They are considering using the book "A First Course in Calculus" by Lang to review the basics and complement their current textbook. The person also mentions that advanced calculus requires more effort and recommends browsing through other textbooks such as Widder's to find the best fit for their learning style.
flamrim
I somehow managed to get Bs in two calculus courses and was pretty confident that in a pinch I was capable of doing work involving lagrange multipliers, Green's theorem, convergences of improper integrals, and such. My textbook was multivariable calculus by Larson and Edwards which I was sold forever ago. This semester I just enrolled in a Linear Algebra + Ordinary Differential Equations course so I figured I would need to go back and get a good reference for filling gaps in my knowledge and reviews on Amazon and this forum pointed to Widder as a cheap, highly worthwhile purchase.

I'm having a much harder time with this than I thought I would. Do I need to go back to basics and pretty much relearn calculus? Did those courses I take simply fail to prepare me for serious work? Is there a certain approach I should take with this book? This seems so much more abstract than what I remember doing. I have the Tenenbaum book on ODEs which is just perfect for me and I'm enjoying so far and yet somehow Widder is overwhelming.

I do recall seeing an old post somewhere mentioning a difference between doing Calculus and truly understanding Calculus at a more fundamental level.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Certainly advanced calculus (i.e. multi-variable calculus) assumes you know single-variable calculus, but Widder's book does not assume you have taken a theoretical and rigorous calculus course.

A nice book to review how to do calculus is Lang's "A First Course in Calculus" which you can get cheaply, and you can even get an older edition. It cuts the crap and presents what you need to know clearly.
If you like that book you can get Lang's other book "Calculus of Several Variables" to complement Widder.

Advanced calculus is obviously more difficult than single-variable calc, so to get the same marks you need to work harder. Browsing through Widder, it seems like a nice book, but do look at Lang, and others if you wish. And you will need to remember the stuff you did in earlier calc courses, so maybe you want to revise that stuff.

Last edited:

I can understand your frustration with the difficulty of Widder's Advanced Calculus. It is not uncommon for students to underestimate the difficulty of advanced math courses, especially when they have had previous success in other calculus courses. However, it is important to keep in mind that advanced calculus involves more abstract concepts and requires a deeper understanding of fundamental principles.

It is possible that your previous calculus courses did not fully prepare you for the level of complexity in Widder's Advanced Calculus. This does not mean that you need to go back and relearn everything, but it may be helpful to review some key concepts and principles before diving into the material. Additionally, it is important to approach the book with a clear and organized mindset, breaking down each concept and working through examples step by step.

Remember that understanding calculus at a fundamental level takes time and effort. It is not something that can be achieved overnight, but with perseverance and a willingness to learn, you will be able to grasp the material. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or study groups, to supplement your learning.

In conclusion, do not be discouraged by the difficulty of Widder's Advanced Calculus. Keep working hard and seeking out resources to aid in your understanding, and you will eventually be able to conquer the material. I know that perseverance and determination are key to success in any field, and I have no doubt that you will be able to overcome this challenge.

1. What is Widder's Advanced Calculus?

Widder's Advanced Calculus is a textbook written by David V. Widder that covers advanced topics in calculus, including vector calculus, differential equations, and complex analysis.

2. Is Widder's Advanced Calculus difficult?

Yes, Widder's Advanced Calculus is considered a challenging textbook that requires a solid understanding of calculus and mathematical reasoning skills. Many students may underestimate the difficulty of this textbook.

3. Why is Widder's Advanced Calculus difficult?

Widder's Advanced Calculus covers advanced topics in calculus that require a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. The problems and exercises in this textbook are also more complex and challenging compared to a standard calculus textbook.

4. How can I prepare for Widder's Advanced Calculus?

To prepare for Widder's Advanced Calculus, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus and to review basic concepts before diving into the advanced topics. It can also be helpful to work through practice problems and exercises to improve your skills.

5. Can I succeed in Widder's Advanced Calculus even if I underestimated its difficulty?

Yes, with dedication and hard work, it is possible to succeed in Widder's Advanced Calculus even if you underestimated its difficulty. It may require extra effort and determination, but with a strong work ethic and a willingness to learn, success is achievable.