Extreme Value Theorem & MVT/Rolles Theorem

In summary, the statements I and II are always true, while statement III is not necessarily true. This is because the Extreme Value Theorem guarantees that a continuous function on a closed interval has an absolute maximum and minimum, but the Mean Value Theorem/Rolle's Theorem requires additional conditions such as differentiability. Therefore, statement III may not always hold true for a continuous function on a closed interval.
carlodelmundo

Homework Statement

If f is a continuous function on the closed interval [a,b], which of the following statements are NOT necessarily true?

I. f has a minimum on [a,b].

II. f has a maximum on [a,b].

III. f'(c) = 0 for some number c, a < c < b

Homework Equations

Extreme Value Theorem (EVT) - the EVT states that if f(x) is continuous on [a,b] there is one absolute maximum and one absolute minimum in [a,b].

The Attempt at a Solution

By the EVT... I believe statement "I" and statement "II" are always true.

Statement "III" is not necessarily true. The Mean Value Theorem/Rolles Theorem states that there is a c where f'(c) = 0 iff f(x) is continuous on [a,b] and iff f(x) is differentiable on (a,b). Since we weren't given the differentiability option... this is NOT necessarily true all the time.

Is this correct? Statement III is not necessarily true?

Physics news on Phys.org
I, II are always true, III is not always true for example f(x) = x, [a,b] = [0,1], but you're wrong about Rolle's theorem.

Thank you qUzz!

1. What is the Extreme Value Theorem?

The Extreme Value Theorem states that a continuous function on a closed interval must have both a maximum and a minimum value within that interval.

2. How is the Extreme Value Theorem different from the Mean Value Theorem?

The Extreme Value Theorem guarantees the existence of a maximum and a minimum value, while the Mean Value Theorem only guarantees the existence of a point where the slope of the function is equal to the average slope of the interval.

3. What is the significance of the Extreme Value Theorem in real-world applications?

The Extreme Value Theorem is important in optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function in order to maximize profit or minimize cost.

4. Can the Extreme Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Extreme Value Theorem only applies to continuous functions, meaning that the function has no breaks or gaps in its graph.

5. How does the Rolle's Theorem relate to the Mean Value Theorem?

Rolle's Theorem is a special case of the Mean Value Theorem, where the average slope of the interval is zero, indicating that there is a point where the derivative of the function is equal to zero.