What is the Galois group of x^4+1 over Q when e^ipi/4 is adjoined?

• Thread starter Daveyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discussed the process of splitting a polynomial and permuting its roots in order to obtain a Galois group of S4. However, it was determined that the Galois group is actually the Klein four-group \mathbf{V} , as the roots were not algebraically independent and there are only two possible isomorphism types for groups of order four. The conversation also mentioned the use of complex conjugation and the transitive action of the Galois group on the roots.
Daveyboy
This thing splits if we adjoin e^ipi/4.
Let [tex]\zeta[/tex]=e^ipi/4 =[tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{i\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]
so x4+1=

(x-[tex]\zeta[/tex])(x-[tex]\zeta[/tex]2)(x-[tex]\zeta[/tex]3)(x-[tex]\zeta[/tex]4).

Then I want to permute these roots so the Galois group is just S4.

But, Q([tex]\zeta[/tex])=Q(i,[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]) and [Q(i,[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]):Q]=4 (degree)

I have the theorem that Galois group [tex]\leq[/tex] degree of splitting field over base field.

Since |S4|=24 something is wrong, but what I can not find what is wrong with the logic.

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't really in my field of expertise, but zeta, zeta^2, zeta^3 and zeta^4 aren't algebraically independent over the rationals, now are they? If you choose for example to map zeta->zeta^2, you really don't have any choices about how to map the other roots. The symmetry group of the automorphisms is not S4. I think that's the answer. Do you agree?

Last edited:
The Galois group is actually [tex] \mathbf{V} [/tex], the Klein four-group. You know that the Galois group has to have order 4, since the extension [tex] \mathbb{Q}(\zeta) [/tex] is Galois over [tex] \mathbb{Q} [/tex]. There are only two isomorphism types for groups of order four, i.e., the Klein four-group and the cyclic group of order four. You can distinguish between them by the fact that [tex] \mathbf{V} [/tex] has two elements of order 2, while [tex] C_4 [/tex] only has one. Thus, all you need to do is construct two elements of the Galois group having order 2. In any extension involving complex numbers, you know that complex conjugation is an automorphism of order two. To get another one, invoke the theorem that says that the Galois group acts transitively on the roots of any irreducible polynomial.

Edit: [tex] \mathbf{V} [/tex] actually has three elements of order 2. Constructing two of them still suffices, however, since [tex] C_4 [/tex] only has one.

Last edited:
Nice, conjugate, that makes sense. I ruled out Klein group to quickly!

1. What is a Galois group?

A Galois group is a mathematical group that describes the symmetries of a particular mathematical object, such as a polynomial equation. It is named after the mathematician Évariste Galois and plays a crucial role in the study of field theory and algebraic equations.

2. How is the Galois group of x^4+1 over Q determined?

The Galois group of x^4+1 over Q is determined by finding all the possible ways to permute the roots of the polynomial equation x^4+1=0 in order to leave the coefficients of the equation unchanged. This results in a group of 8 elements, known as the dihedral group D4.

3. What is the significance of the Galois group of x^4+1 over Q?

The Galois group of x^4+1 over Q has important implications in the study of field extensions and algebraic equations. It helps to determine whether a polynomial equation is solvable by radicals, and also provides insights into the structure and properties of the roots of the equation.

4. How does the Galois group of x^4+1 over Q relate to the roots of the equation?

The elements of the Galois group correspond to different ways of permuting the four roots of the equation x^4+1=0. For example, one element may interchange two roots, while another element may rotate all four roots. By studying these permutations, we can gain a better understanding of the properties and relationships between the roots of the equation.

5. Can the Galois group of x^4+1 over Q be generalized to other polynomial equations?

Yes, the concept of a Galois group can be applied to any polynomial equation with rational coefficients. However, the resulting group may be different depending on the specific equation and its roots. In general, the Galois group provides a powerful tool for analyzing the symmetries and structure of polynomial equations.