The galois group of x^4 + 1 over Q

• Thread starter Daveyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of splitting a polynomial, and the attempt to permute the roots in order to obtain a Galois group of S4. However, the logic is flawed as it does not take into account the definition of a Galois group as field automorphisms.
Daveyboy
This thing splits if we adjoin e^ipi/4.
Let [tex]\zeta[/tex]=e^ipi/4 =[tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{i\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]
so x4+1=

(x-[tex]\zeta[/tex])(x-[tex]\zeta[/tex]2)(x-[tex]\zeta[/tex]3)(x-[tex]\zeta[/tex]4).

Then I want to permute these roots so the Galois group is just S4.

But, Q([tex]\zeta[/tex])=Q(i,[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]) and [Q(i,[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]):Q]=4 (degree)

I have the theorem that Galois group [tex]\leq[/tex] degree of splitting field over base field.

Since |S4|=24 something is wrong, but what I can not find what is wrong with the logic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Daveyboy said:
Then I want to permute these roots so the Galois group is just S4.
...but what I can not find what is wrong with the logic.

What's wrong is that you've forgotten the definition of a Galois group - it is the group of field automorphisms, not just the arbitrary permutation of roots.

1. What is the Galois group of x^4 + 1 over Q?

The Galois group of x^4 + 1 over Q is the group of automorphisms that leave the rational numbers (Q) fixed while permuting the roots of the polynomial x^4 + 1. In other words, it is the group of symmetries of the roots of the polynomial.

2. How many elements are in the Galois group of x^4 + 1 over Q?

There are 8 elements in the Galois group of x^4 + 1 over Q. This is because the polynomial has 4 complex roots, and each root can be mapped to one of the 4 roots through a permutation, resulting in 4! = 24 possible automorphisms. However, some of these automorphisms will be equivalent, leaving us with a total of 8 unique elements in the group.

3. Is the Galois group of x^4 + 1 over Q abelian?

Yes, the Galois group of x^4 + 1 over Q is abelian. This means that the group's operation (composition of automorphisms) is commutative, and the order in which the automorphisms are applied does not matter. In this case, the group is isomorphic to the Klein four-group, which is known to be abelian.

4. How does the Galois group of x^4 + 1 over Q relate to the roots of the polynomial?

The Galois group of x^4 + 1 over Q is closely related to the roots of the polynomial. In fact, the group's elements can be thought of as symmetries of the roots, where each element represents a specific permutation of the roots. This group's structure reveals information about the solvability of the polynomial and its roots.

5. What is the significance of studying the Galois group of a polynomial?

Studying the Galois group of a polynomial has several implications in mathematics. It allows us to determine the polynomial's solvability by radicals, which is a fundamental concept in algebra. Moreover, the group's structure also provides insights into the symmetry and structure of the polynomial's roots, which can lead to a better understanding of its properties and behavior.